race suggestion for the COPAP-Planescape setting(Tiefmar)

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
slave.of.emotions
Groundling

race suggestion for the COPAP-Planescape setting(Tiefmar)

Post by slave.of.emotions »

I was always wondering why there are actualy no where mixes betwwen a Aasimar and Tiefling and found now acidently this on the webisite of planewalker.com.
Tiefmars (Aasimar and Tiefling Mix)
Tiefmars are what people with a mix of upper planar heritage are generally called. This variety is what most often happens when the most common aasimar and tiefling on the planes have children.
Personality:

Due to the abundance of tieflings around Sigil and over the planes most mixes are either called by what they resemble the most (Aasimar if they look like an aasimar, chaond if they are chaotic ect.) or they are simply lumped in with other tieflings and just called tiefers for a generic planar mix. The racial traits listed below are merely for the most common varieties.
Physical Description: Tiefmars appearances are just as varied as their aasimar and tiefling relatives. They can have hooves, horns, silver hair or any small traits that speak of their past heritages.
Relations: Tiefmars interact with others well, and move easily through planar society. They are often blessed with a combination of wits, grace, style and cunning that helps to disarm others.
Alignment: Unknown
Lands: Tiefmars have no lands of their own, and mostly keep to Sigil and the more populated and metropolitan areas of the planes.
Religion: Tiefmars tend to worship the gods of their parents, if their parents worshiped any powers.
Language: Planar Common
Names: As teiflings or aasimar
Male Names: As teiflings or aasimar
Female Names: As teiflings or aasimar
Family Names: As teiflings or aasimar
Adventurers: Tiefmars often take well to adventuring. Other than their health they are extremely well suited for walking the planes.
Racial Traits:

* +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, -4 Constitution. Many tiefmars proudly show off their uncanny charm, cunning, grace and wits but also suffer from the warring parts of their own heritage causing them to often be frail creatures. Their generally poor constitutions are also what probably keeps their numbers down across the planes as they are more prone to illness.
* Medium-sized humanoid
* Tiefer base speed is 30 feet.
* Acid, cold, fire and electricity resistance 5.
* Darkvision up to 60 feet.
* +2 racial bonus to bluff, hide, listen and spot checks.
* Automatic Languages: Planar Trade, home region. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages, such as Druidic).
* Plane of Origin: Any (Most often the outlands or Sigil).
* Favored Class: Paladin or Rogue (The first taken is considered the favored class and cannot be changed afterwards.)

Level Adjustment +1: Tiefmars are slightly more powerful and gain levels more slowly than most other races.
By: Gerzel
Posted: 02/05/05.
source: http://www.planewalker.com/entry.php?in ... 1de9fe623a
Starslayer_D
Ambassador: Abyss404

Post by Starslayer_D »

Wouldn't they react internally like the devil to holy water?
Tristan_Durst
World Leader: Arborea

Post by Tristan_Durst »

Tiefmars (Aasimar and Tiefling Mix)
Tiefmars are what people with a mix of upper planar heritage are generally called. This variety is what most often happens when the most common aasimar and tiefling on the planes have children.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Tieflings were infertile according to the 2nd edition Planescape books.
Racial Traits:
* +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, -4 Constitution. Many Tiefmars proudly show off their uncanny charm, cunning, grace and wits but also suffer from the warring parts of their own heritage causing them to often be frail creatures. Their generally poor constitutions are also what probably keeps their numbers down across the planes as they are more prone to illness.
* Medium-sized humanoid
* Tiefmar base speed is 30 feet.
* Acid, cold, fire and electricity resistance 5.
* Darkvision up to 60 feet.
* +2 racial bonus to bluff, hide, listen and spot checks.
* Automatic Languages: Planar Trade, home region. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages, such as Druidic).
* Plane of Origin: Any (Most often the outlands or Sigil).
* Favored Class: Paladin or Rogue (The first taken is considered the favored class and cannot be changed afterwards.)

Level Adjustment +1: Tiefmars are slightly more powerful and gain levels more slowly than most other races.
If I were to add this to Arborea I would up the ECL on them by one or two. Mainly a –4 to CON, with all those bonuses, ECL +1 is not enough.

The holy water was an optional disadvantage in the 2nd ed Planewalkers Handbook. Along with some other cool disadvatages for Tieflings, and some other Advantages then the standard template.

Tristan
Wombatforhire
Ambassador: Avlis

Post by Wombatforhire »

I agree, ECL +1 is crazy.
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

I choose to disblieve... this is silly. tieflings and aasamar are not "races" and for the most part are infertile. A cross between the two should be miscarried but if one was born it would be dominant either tiefling or aasamar and should be treated as such.

To allow something like this I would give them an ECL of +4ish to keep people from using it to munchkin, as that is the only reason I can see for the race. +4 total to stats (+8, -4), 4 elemental resistances, +8 to skills, Darkvision 60, and extra languages?!?!?!?
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
Tristan_Durst

Post by Tristan_Durst »

Yeah Teleri... it is pretty insane. I keep looking at it, and it is a defiant no go for Arborea.
slave.of.emotions
Groundling

Post by slave.of.emotions »

The ECL of Aasimars is already set to low as well, +2 charisma and +2 wisdom makes already a ECL of 2.

Since when are they infertile ? Most Tieflings/Aasiamars are crosses between another Tiefling/Aasimar and a standart humanoid race, mostly humans.
Tristan_Durst

Post by Tristan_Durst »

Per the 2nd ed Planescape Setting, most Tieflings are infertile. Also Aasimers are the product of Celestrials, or some other Googy good race, and some other race, and Tieflings are the product of some Demon or Devil, or other lower plane baddy, and some other race.

Alu-Fiends, and Cambians are Special versions, and are considered full Tanar'ri. But a Child of a Alu-Fiend, or Cambian will result in a Tiefling. There was a varient to Tieflings as well, that gave then non-standared abilities and disadvantages. It was listed in the Planewalkers Handbook.
BlindBleu

Post by BlindBleu »

Tristan_Durst wrote:Per the 2nd ed Planescape Setting, most Tieflings are infertile. Also Aasimers are the product of Celestrials, or some other Googy good race, and some other race, and Tieflings are the product of some Demon or Devil, or other lower plane baddy, and some other race.
I truly find such broad statements from a company that produces a game with Magic in it.

Magic trumps genetics and most RL physics.

You will have to meet my Tyfling who has seven fathers,, and maybe she will relate the entrie tale to you. :D
Zenosaga
Noobie

Post by Zenosaga »

This is interesting. A cross between fiend and angel, and not simply unique but as its own race. Hmm....

This sort of reminds me of the story of the Lupinal/Arcanaloth hybrid down at EN World.

But I digress. I would like you to note that NWN is based on 3rd edition, and 3rd edition technically overrides any and all previous AD&D material. But the concept of planetouched being infertile was a purely optional component, even in AD&D.

Tieflings and Aasimars are fully fertile and can breed true with their own kind; as can all their demi-human racial equivalents, such as Fey'ri (elf), Tanarukk (orc), Maeluths (dwarf), and Wisplings (halfling).

Alu-fiend (or alu-devil/alu-demon/alu-daemon/alu-demodand etc, depending on their fiendish parent) is technically the racial term for any female half-fiend, and the same goes for Cambion (which is the male equivalent). The term is commonly associated with the tanar'ri because of their larger reputation for Alu-demons and Cambions.

This race we have here, Tiefmars, does seem to be quite possible, but the person who wrote out the racial traits should have his brain laquered for such bad design. I just hate it when people turn a unique concept into a flawed final product.

REFERENCES:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/9974/f_tree.htm
http://www.geocities.com/ripvanwormer/b ... lings.html
[i]"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."[/i]

[url=http://www.serenadawn.com/]Serena Dawn Spaceport - The largest FREE RPGs online.[/url]