Question on CoPAP Psionics

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
papainhell
Noobie

Question on CoPAP Psionics

Post by papainhell »

*not sure if this is the right place for this*

I am playing a psionic character, and fully intend to travel to other worlds as the portals become active. My problem is that I want to be sure that psionics will be useable on every server that I visit, will they?

Are psionics going to be a CoPaP standard?
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

There are no Psionics on outlands at this time. To know more about it please read this thread on the outlands boards. http://www.greatring.net/modules.php?na ... 49d7e78351
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

Those who are already Psions will be able to use their powers, but the psion class is locked on Hala so those who don't have it, won't be able to take it while on Hala.
Gairus
Groundling

Post by Gairus »

Never ever or not without DM permission? (No, I don't want another one ark, just clarifying.)
Arkonswrath

Post by Arkonswrath »

Never, ever.

The justification for this is simply that Ysgard is a Chaotic Plane. As such, natives to the plane would have too chaotic of a mind to warrent the control needed to be a psion as the class is now. On Hala, Psion is considered a PrC, and we only authorize PrCs to Hala natives on Hala.

Hala native = character created on Hala
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Strictly speaking from a code point of view, psionics are readily available for all CoPaP servers to import. As you can see, they use it to different extents.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Tairis'nàdur

Post by JollyOrc »

Orleron wrote:Strictly speaking from a code point of view, psionics are readily available for all CoPaP servers to import.
where ? I'm still searching ... :oops:
bye,
JollyOrc

Post by teleri »

JollyOrc wrote:
Orleron wrote:Strictly speaking from a code point of view, psionics are readily available for all CoPaP servers to import.
JO,

The psi code is in the copap hak I believe.
Cheers,
teleri

[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

teleri wrote:
JollyOrc wrote:
JO,

The psi code is in the copap hak I believe.
No, we do not put scripts in the CoPaP Hak if we can help it.
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
dougnoel
Groundling

Post by dougnoel »

JO, Send Kinarr a PM on the Avlis boards. He can give you the updated code. It's fresh and shiny for 1.66. :)
JollyOrc

Post by JollyOrc »

got it by now :)

*waves at Sindol*
bye,
JollyOrc
Noobie

Post by papainhell »

Arkonswrath wrote:Those who are already Psions will be able to use their powers, but the psion class is locked on Hala so those who don't have it, won't be able to take it while on Hala.

Code: Select all

(No this is not directed at any specific world, I am just bringing up a valid concern)  
Heh, getting back to this now 8)

The above quote is what I thought would happen and I do not understand why it is not the way it should be. I thought the whole idea of CoPaP was to approve powers, feats, spells, races…. To be used CoPaP wide. I do understand Hala’s stance and I agree how they handled psionics, makes perfect sense.

Here is the scenario:
Psion- 1 fighter/ 22 psion travels to world where psionics does not exist i.e. psionics is not implemented.

Q- What do you have?
A- A lvl 1 fighter w/ extra HPs spawning epic NPCs
(Just does not seem right :wink: )

What do the rest of the CoPaP folks think?
pincushionman
Noobie

Post by pincushionman »

papainhell wrote:
Arkonswrath wrote:Those who are already Psions will be able to use their powers, but the psion class is locked on Hala so those who don't have it, won't be able to take it while on Hala.

(No this is not directed at any specific world, I am just bringing up a valid concern)  

Here is the scenario:
Psion- 1 fighter/ 22 psion travels to world where psionics does not exist i.e. psionics is not implemented.

Q- What do you have?

Read. I've bolded the answers to those questions within the quote you quoted.

Any player who currently has Psion powers can use them on any COPAP server. The servers have the same class haks, otherwise you'd get invalid characters when you try to portal. And any character can always take new levels in any class he/she already has levels in (provided no alignment restrictions/etc.). All classes are IMPLEMENTED CoPaP-wide. Which is why new classes/feats/etc. would be a pain in the butt to implement, you have to get everyone to implement at the same time.

What is being done on specific servers is limiting choices on classes you don't already have. If you want to be a Psion, you need to take your first level of Psion on a server that has the class unlocked. Just like the PrC's, you can't take the first level of, say, Annihlator, whle you're in the Outlands, but if you're already an Annihlator, you can take the second (third, fourth, etc.) It is not that the class is not IMPLEMENTED, it is that it is LOCKED.

Your ftr1/psion22 will kick just as much ass on Hala as he would anywhere else, but if you just have ftr1, you can't become a ftr1/psion1 unless you go someplace else.
teleri

Post by teleri »

pincushionman wrote:
papainhell wrote:

Here is the scenario:

Q- What do you have?

Read. I've bolded the answers to those questions within the quote you quoted.

Any player who currently has Psion powers can use them on any COPAP server. The servers have the same class haks, otherwise you'd get invalid characters when you try to portal. And any character can always take new levels in any class he/she already has levels in (provided no alignment restrictions/etc.). All classes are IMPLEMENTED CoPaP-wide. Which is why new classes/feats/etc. would be a pain in the butt to implement, you have to get everyone to implement at the same time.

What is being done on specific servers is limiting choices on classes you don't already have. If you want to be a Psion, you need to take your first level of Psion on a server that has the class unlocked. Just like the PrC's, you can't take the first level of, say, Annihlator, whle you're in the Outlands, but if you're already an Annihlator, you can take the second (third, fourth, etc.) It is not that the class is not IMPLEMENTED, it is that it is LOCKED.

Your ftr1/psion22 will kick just as much ass on Hala as he would anywhere else, but if you just have ftr1, you can't become a ftr1/psion1 unless you go someplace else.
Actually Not quite true. There are NO psionics in outlands none at all no PC Psionics and no NPC psionics. So the above character would be a level 1 fighter and a level 22 Commoner effectivly in the outlands. In the outlands the class Psion is NOT implemented at all nor will it be till the abilities work properly for the planes.
Cheers,
teleri

Baron
Ambassador: Ithilla

Post by Baron »

Ithilla will have full psion powers implemented when it becomes available
The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words,there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.
pincushionman
Noobie

Post by pincushionman »

It appears I came across as an angry dude in that last post...apologies for that. Now, though, it seems I am the one who is confused...
teleri wrote:...There are NO psionics in outlands none at all no PC Psionics and no NPC psionics. So the above character would be a level 1 fighter and a level 22 Commoner effectivly in the outlands. In the outlands the class Psion is NOT implemented at all nor will it be till the abilities work properly for the planes.
I assume you mean that the psionic powers are rendered ineffective (don't bother describing the means by which, that means nothing to me) but surely the class levels themselves are respected (and thus BAB, saves, skills, feats, etc?). Rather than "not implemented," which to me means, obviously, something different than that. The difference between the server saying "oh, you have Psion class levels...sucks to be you!" and the server saying "oh, you have < UNRECOGNIZED_CLASS > class levels...Invalid Character! Good-bye!"

I don't actually have any Psions, so this won't actually affect me...It's just I prefer to make sure I know what I'm talking about when I open my mouth, and I obviously didn't in the last post...
teleri

Post by teleri »

pincushionman wrote:It appears I came across as an angry dude in that last post...apologies for that. Now, though, it seems I am the one who is confused...

I assume you mean that the psionic powers are rendered ineffective (don't bother describing the means by which, that means nothing to me) but surely the class levels themselves are respected (and thus BAB, saves, skills, feats, etc?). Rather than "not implemented," which to me means, obviously, something different than that. The difference between the server saying "oh, you have Psion class levels...sucks to be you!" and the server saying "oh, you have < UNRECOGNIZED_CLASS > class levels...Invalid Character! Good-bye!"

I don't actually have any Psions, so this won't actually affect me...It's just I prefer to make sure I know what I'm talking about when I open my mouth, and I obviously didn't in the last post...
Sorry I have been beating this dead horse on the outlands boards as well...and am slightly well tired of it actually. (:

The non technical discription is you log in and it goes ohh Psion *shrug* no PSP, no Powers ok have a nice day... The sever knows what a Psion is but there is no way to use any of the abilities.
Cheers,
teleri

JollyOrc

Post by JollyOrc »

teleri wrote:The non technical discription is you log in and it goes ohh Psion *shrug* no PSP, no Powers ok have a nice day...
I love this explanation. I'm tempted to disable Psion Powers on Catara just to justify stealing it... :D
bye,
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Catara

Post by Sindol »

JollyOrc wrote:
teleri wrote:The non technical discription is you log in and it goes ohh Psion *shrug* no PSP, no Powers ok have a nice day...
I love this explanation. I'm tempted to disable Psion Powers on Catara just to justify stealing it... :D
Easily done, by just not importing the scripts used by the psionics system. However, since I already imported them, it would mean removing all of them again. It would have been easier if you had thought of that before. :P

Psionics on Catara is at the moment the same as on Hala: it works fine, as long as you already have psionicist levels when you get there. You can't take psionicist levels on Catara unless you already have levels in it, or a DM unlocks it for you (which can be done if you meet some in game, in character requirements).

We are also still contemplating changing some powers to be more in line with Catara "fluff", just as we are considering changing some spells once we implement a full spellhook.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
teleri

Post by teleri »

JollyOrc wrote:
steal away... (:
Cheers,
teleri

Arkonswrath

Post by Arkonswrath »

Update on this, due to recent changes in the way psionics works which have alleviated my discomfort with the class, and due to IC things that have occured on Hala. Hala now regards Psionics as a PrC which may be given to players who show good RP skills. :D
Fuzz
Planewalker

Post by Fuzz »

Psionics are a core part of Planescape, so PPsionics being available on most of the worlds is a good possibility. It's just gonna take time, and depends on who runs the world. Don't hold your breath since the vast majority of players seem to absolutely hate psionics and think they are overpowered.
Arkonswrath

Post by Arkonswrath »

An update to the psion thing i posted before... If you do decide you want to be a psion on Hala, and the PrC Manager agrees to give it to you... you are required to continue leveling in your primary class to a point where your Psions levels cannot be more than 5 levels higher than your base class... personally I dislike seeing level 1 monk/22 psions. This only applies for Hala, so what you do outside of Hala is up to you. I know other worlds do not agree with me on this.
papainhell
Noobie

Post by papainhell »

In reality the Psion class should be a selectable class from the start, it's a game engine thing with having to chose it as a PRC :wink: so the 1 (insert class) / 22 psion is a given if you intended to be a psion from the start.
Fuzz
Planewalker

Post by Fuzz »

Arkonswrath wrote:An update to the psion thing i posted before... If you do decide you want to be a psion on Hala, and the PrC Manager agrees to give it to you... you are required to continue leveling in your primary class to a point where your Psions levels cannot be more than 5 levels higher than your base class... personally I dislike seeing level 1 monk/22 psions. This only applies for Hala, so what you do outside of Hala is up to you. I know other worlds do not agree with me on this.
You could just reinstate the core PrC reqs for the Psion from Nathan's original setup, with the Concentration requirement, as well as Iron Will. Even if you don't change the 2da to reflect that, you can have a Hala-side directive for DMs to require Hala players to meet certain criteria for the PrC.