CoPaP worlds enter final stretch of VaultSTER upgrade

Frontpage news for the CoPaP project: http://www.copap.org/
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

CoPaP worlds enter final stretch of VaultSTER upgrade

Post by Orleron »

A few bottlenecks have been removed, and most, if not all, CoPaP worlds are moving to upgrade to the new version of VaultSTER asap. While this is happening, you will experience a lot of broken portals because the old VaultSTER and the new VaultSTER are incompatable. Avlis is on the new version of VaultSTER, as is Tairis'nadur. All of the newer WIP's are also on it as well.

There will also be a rearrangement of linkups to make things a little more closer to rules for Planescape and Spelljammers. So some of the links that are going down will not be restored, but instead replaced with other links.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Enverex
Planewalker

Post by Enverex »

Last edited by Enverex on Mon May 09, 2005 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starslayer_D
Ambassador: Abyss404

Post by Starslayer_D »

May I ask wich rules for Planescape and Spelljammer are to be in effect?

EG: If I am currently visiting another plane, and the money exchange system suddenly springs up, I would like to have a little bit of warning in order to move back to my homeworld and keep the money I maed there unexchanged, instead of suddenly finding it all marked as offworld without warning. *grin*
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Tairis'nàdur

Post by JollyOrc »

Trust that such a system will be announced in advance.
bye,
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Abyss404

Post by Starslayer_D »

*grin* Read: Question, and then an excample. *sigh* Maybe a bad one, but a general "Changes made" is so unspecific. It simply was the one wich jumped to ym mind, as it had been discussed at lenght here.

Or should I take out both books and check all pages for possible chages?
Last edited by Starslayer_D on Mon May 09, 2005 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Tairis'nàdur

Post by JollyOrc »

I agree that I'm the wrong one to answer the question of which D&D flavour will get implemented. The only D&D book I own is the 3.0 Player Handbook, and I didn't even read that .

What I can say:

There will be systems that will prevent mages and/or clerics from casting certain spells when not at the right place, and some items might not work as expected. These things will revert to normal though when you go back to your homeworld.

Money exchange is the big exception from this, but when this gets implemented, there will be ahead warning so you won't be caught by surprise with the wrong money in the wrong place.

*edit: The changes Orleron mentioned entail the actual server portals. Some CoPaP worlds are planes, some are planets. Currently all these are handled the same, although some world connections make no sense from an IC point of view (ie Currently one uses a magical portal to get to another planet, although the D&D setting would say that one would need to use Spelljamming to reach that planet.).
bye,
JollyOrc
Groundling

Post by slave.of.emotions »

JollyOrc wrote: *edit: The changes Orleron mentioned entail the actual server portals. Some CoPaP worlds are planes, some are planets. Currently all these are handled the same, although some world connections make no sense from an IC point of view (ie Currently one uses a magical portal to get to another planet, although the D&D setting would say that one would need to use Spelljamming to reach that planet.).

Not exactly. You can reach any planet through the astral or shadowplane, so for example you can travel from avlis to outlands through astralplane or other planes and then from there again over astral plane to another planet or directly through the astral to another planet.
One of the important and interesting hups between planes and worlds is the tree of Yggrasil with roots and branches reach to other planes and prime worlds and what i belive outlands will use :D

On other hand i dont know if it is such a good idea to make traveling match planescape rules to much. for example orelon said he would like that outlands are the place evryone has to go through to reach all other planes... but it seems hard for me that then one world has to handle the different economys on all worlds as well ligh differences in xp and lvl gain that will always exist.
Last edited by slave.of.emotions on Mon May 09, 2005 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

That is true, but currently we don't even have shadow/astral connections between planets. Maybe we will someday if someone decides to make that server, but what we do have in development is a Spelljamming server, Ithilla! :) www.ithilla.org

Of course a money exchange system would be announced in advance. JO is correct. There are also various threads on this forum that talk about rules for Planescape and Spelljammers. Some are probably not in the public forums, but you can always start a thread about a specific rule if you have a question.

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
slave.of.emotions
Groundling

Orleron wrote:That is true, but currently we don't even have shadow/astral connections between planets. Maybe we will someday if someone decides to make that server, but what we do have in development is a Spelljamming server, Ithilla! :) www.ithilla.org.

Yes but developers could do it somewhat like hala, they addet on way from hala to avlis a astralplane area with makes traveling already quiet more realistic IC.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Yes, that's true too, but no one has approached me about that, and if someone approached Avlis about it we would handle it on a world by world basis. Some worlds we'd be willing to do that with, and some we would not.

Ulversial
Planewalker

Post by Ulversial »

Do the new portal destinations/locations have to be found out IC/IG? I'm talking about the ones being reorganised.

No I'm not whining, just curious :D
HIPS IKD - sneak sneak sneak!
- Arborean SubCon and multiworld composer.
choraldances
Ambassador: The Grey Wastes

Post by choraldances »

I'd say probably ;)
Choraldances - Senior DM of Avlis, Project Administrator of Miras - Hades, DM of Outlands.
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

Things in outlands to watch for,

All standard rules for planescape.

Items that give + bonuses for AC, Enchantemnt, or for ranged weapons Attack bonuses will be reduced by the distance they are from thier home plane/planet. Anything from the prime (avlis, Rockhome, etc) will be at -2 while in the outlands, when you go home it will revert.

Spell casting clerics will find that they can cast spells based oh who thier god is and how far away the god is from the plane outlands.

Theses are are the big ones...

Additional... Avlis Mages beware... (no details will be given you will need to find out what this means in game.)

Crafting will be crossplanar when it goes live in the outlands so your skill will translate though the recipies will be very very differnt. (:
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
slave.of.emotions
Groundling

Items that give + bonuses for AC, Enchantemnt, or for ranged weapons Attack bonuses will be reduced by the distance they are from thier home plane/planet. Anything from the prime (avlis, Rockhome, etc) will be at -2 while in the outlands, when you go home it will revert.
And for those that might fear abit like i did that there could be a bug that it does not revert back.. those effects are made with temporary spell-like effects, like flame weapon and darkfire uses it, the items dont get replaced with weaker versions or such :)
Tristan_Durst
World Leader: Arborea

Post by Tristan_Durst »

slave.of.emotions wrote:

And for those that might fear abit like i did that there could be a bug that it does not revert back.. those effects are made with temporary spell-like effects, like flame weapon and darkfire uses it, the items dont get replaced with weaker versions or such :)
Exactly...

Also Arborea will be using a vast Majority of what the Outlands are useing.

-Tristan
Baron
Ambassador: Ithilla

Post by Baron »

Starslayer_D wrote:May I ask wich rules for Planescape and Spelljammer are to be in effect?

EG: If I am currently visiting another plane, and the money exchange system suddenly springs up, I would like to have a little bit of warning in order to move back to my homeworld and keep the money I maed there unexchanged, instead of suddenly finding it all marked as offworld without warning. *grin*
Though the world leaders of the planar worlds could better chime in, It's my understanding that the 3rd editin rules of planescape are a travesty and that 2nd edition rules will be used for that setting....

Spelljammer on the other hand only has the one set of rules - however they have been modified as best as possible to work with NwN - combat in space will actually be turn based, we are also limited in that we dont have all the types of being you might expect in a SJ campaign...

We are still tweaking the code for TBSJ (turn based spell-jammer) and will go public once thats operational.
Do the new portal destinations/locations have to be found out IC/IG? I'm talking about the ones being reorganised.

No I'm not whining, just curious
Portals - almost certainly yes...connections to the Spelljammer server - often something as smple as a port - where the spell jammer vessels land - that will be up to the servers of course as to how common knowledge spelljamming is and how easy it is to find those ports will be...

Getting out of the spell jammer server - is as easy as jumping into your vessel and navigating your way to the world you want to go to.

cheers

~B
The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words,there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

The plarar Rules in effect in outlands will closely follow 2nd edition planescape. (though there are some deveations because it just doesn't work fully in the NWN engine.)

I believe that Hades and Arborea are doing the same.
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
Tristan_Durst
World Leader: Arborea

Post by Tristan_Durst »

Arborea is using Planescape 2nd ed rules Priameily. Like Teleri siad somethings can not be converted over, due to game engine limitations.

We will also have some "house" rules that we are going to go by as well. They will be detailed in our Rules sectiuon on the forums.

-Tristan