Disturbing comment about Star Wars: Episode III

Talk talk talk about anything.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Disturbing comment about Star Wars: Episode III

Post by Orleron »

From Nick Gilliard the stunt coordinator:
"Episode III has got everything the other films had and more! The movie is 60 to 70 per cent fighting. Ewan [McGregor, Obi-Wan Kenobi] had 1,000 moves to learn, as opposed to the three pages he had to learn in The Phantom Menace. There's tons of fighting in this one."

Why do I feel like this movie is going to be yet another prequel failure? 60 to 70 percent fighting does not bode well for a movie that I HOPED would contain some fucking emotion for once... the balance between good and evil, the silent triumph of bad over good... etc. etc. Why does it sound like this is going to be the same as the first 2 prequels where they simply raced through as many special effects shots as they could pack into a single minute and place absolutely no plot or character development behind any of it.... only to reissue the GOOD plot development scenes as deleted footage on the DVD?
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
RedLoved
Noobie

Post by RedLoved »

Yeah, you can see the script at Somethingawful.com.

heh.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1600
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

You can't possibly believe that that script is real. I didn't even read past the opening crawl and the first few paragraphs without seeing glaring stylistic problems to suggest it's bunk.

It looks like it was written by a 5 year old.

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Fuzz
Planewalker

Post by Fuzz »

George Lucas is a fucking idiot. He always have been.

If you watch the Laserdiscs of the original trilogy, and listen to the commentary, it's so sad... GL really had very little input on the story and filming for all three of them. They basically humored him and the rest of the crew took over. Why? Because all his ideas were fucking stupid.

Now... jump to 1997... GL is a big hotshot. Thus they actually listen to him. Result?

HORRIBLE FAILURE!

For shame.
RedLoved
Noobie

Post by RedLoved »

Orleron wrote:You can't possibly believe that that script is real.
I don't. I'm just being unconstructive and a general asshole by trying to troll a response out of people. I apologize.

But, the script does make for an interesting read.
Nightbringer
Groundling

Post by Nightbringer »

uhhh... something awful is a joke site, their stuff is written to start out sounding normal but then get more and more ridiculous... did you read their review of NWN? it eventually starts complaining about the "mana" system of spellcasting. The best part are the email responses where people point out all the things wrong with their review and how they obviously haven't played the game... when its all clearly a joke to piss such people off and amuse the rest of us ;)
[url=http://www.crimsonstars.com]Crimson Stars: Spelljammer Persistant world[/url]
[url=http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpacks/data/1060320751937.shtml]Arcane Space Tileset / Turn Based Spelljammer[/url]
Spelljammer in NWN, ship to ship combat, space piracy, and more!
RedLoved
Noobie

Post by RedLoved »

Nightbringer wrote:uhhh... something awful is a joke site
Yeah, I knew that. I probably spend more time on SA than I do on anything NWN related. :)

The Neverwinter Nights review was great though. The email responses were funny as well. SA is a pretty good site, with a great community.

But back to Star Wars, I expected the third movie to have a lot of combat sequences in it. They have a ton of characters to kill off.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Oh I agree, it should have a large amount of combat in it, but come on, 70%?

You're right, GL is a total idiot who has no idea how to make a real movie, and it's sad. I wish Peter Jackson could teach him a thing or two.

D'vizz
Noobie

Post by D'vizz »

Well, if its mostly combat, at least we dont have to listen to dialogue that was written on the toilet, as we did in I & II. Theres just no way III could ever make up for the other two, so if its at least an eye candy show, it wont be a complete waste of money. Every important scene looked as if it were done in one take, with no thought to trying for a better run.

Admittedly, the only way for me to attain closure on the Star Wars saga is to go see Episode III in the theater, though I hate funding such a desecration. After that, Im going to revert to my fantasy world where only IV - VI exist :D

Sorry if it sounds harsh... Im still a huge Star Wars fan, and I just cannot hold my distain for the prequels.
Corbett
World Leader: Storm Haven

Post by Corbett »

To me Episode III is a lot like a distant relative’s wedding, you don’t want to go but you feel obligated to.

On the up side of that much combat would mean we will not have to sit through a cheesy storyline that falls apart in the last 15 minutes of the movies like we did in Episode II. And if it’s true that the movie will be 70% fighting at least that would mean most of the Jedi will not go out like punks in one giant explosion… which one be worse for you?
tindertwiggy
Planewalker

Post by tindertwiggy »

GL blows. Those movies are about Industrial Light and Magic. Not starwars.
Malathyre
Planar Sage

Post by Malathyre »

The original trilogy was a major factor in my imagination growing up, and I honestly wonder if this second trilogy could possibly be the same for kids now. Honestly, I'm not sure...I don't have a child's perspective anymore. The acting and dialogue improved a lot from episodes IV-VI, and I was hoping the same could be said of this trilogy, too, but so far that hasn't been the case. If it's just gonna be 2 hours of people going at it with lightsabers, well, at least we know that the combat will look good, even if the audience has no reason to care about it or the characters.

*sighs* Too bad GL didn't decide to be just a writer/creative consultant, that seems to have worked better for him in the past.
<Daerthe> There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly.
Strangg1
Ambassador: Avlis

Post by Strangg1 »

George Lucas raped my childhood.

~S
It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

"You have a way with words... like a sage with a two-by-four" ~ Ava
Beary666
Noobie

Post by Beary666 »

Strangg1 wrote:George Lucas raped my childhood.

~S
Put so beautifully and suscintly as usual :D
Red Golem
World Leader: Abyss404

Post by Red Golem »

If you want a great Star Wars experience, play Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic. Playing through that has made me crave Star Wars so much more. Unfortunately, I know that the Episode III movie couldn't possibly come anywhere near close to the entertainment experience and story of the Knights of the Old Republic (2 hr movie vs. 50 hour game).
[url=http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=6231]Autobic Guild[/url]
Chassagne
Planar Sage

Post by Chassagne »

Ever saw this short film "Georges Lucas in love" ? :wink:

Sorry, I cant put it online, it's 50MB, and probably something not legal. But I guess it should not be too hard to find somewhere on the net. Great fun, and 9mn, so long enough.
Fallen_Chrome
Clueless Prime

Post by Fallen_Chrome »

Red Golem wrote:If you want a great Star Wars experience, play Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic. Playing through that has made me crave Star Wars so much more. Unfortunately, I know that the Episode III movie couldn't possibly come anywhere near close to the entertainment experience and story of the Knights of the Old Republic (2 hr movie vs. 50 hour game).
Amazing game, beat it both light and dark side and loved every minute of it.
Abyss 404 - DM
Approaching Winter
Wombatforhire
Ambassador: Avlis

Post by Wombatforhire »

Chassagne wrote:Ever saw this short film "Georges Lucas in love" ? :wink:

Sorry, I cant put it online, it's 50MB, and probably something not legal. But I guess it should not be too hard to find somewhere on the net. Great fun, and 9mn, so long enough.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203523/

It was released on VHS (which I was lucky enough to snag used) and DVD. Don't pay too much for it, it's awfully short...but has many absolutely wonderful moments...Brilliantly constructed short film.

"Could you talk....forward?"

As to episode 3, twiggy will tell you (as I tell him whenever it comes up, and he's probably sick of hearing it) that in my opinion someone should put out a restraining order against GL, keeping him at least 100 feet from his franchise at all times...'well enough alone' is a concept that never penetrated his massive, massive ego.

Ugh.

Will be going to see three...as it's like watching a trainwreck...it hurts to watch...but its such a facinating/horrible thing that you can't look away.

Oh, and I agree with Red Golem 100%, go play KOTOR, and realize how much better these movies could be.
Vichan Lyonsen
Planewalker

Post by Vichan Lyonsen »

It will stink to high heaven and make obscene amounts of money...much like reality television....only the stupid people and stupid dialog are made up.
Arnimane
Noobie

Post by Arnimane »

All we can hope for is someone else to tell the story of the final three acts better.
emprod
Clueless Prime

Post by emprod »

As far as 60-70% fighting, the screenies here back that up...

Spoilers (duh)

http://www.super-baris.com/ep3/