Rockhome

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!

Rockhome

Post by Guest »

I'm posting anonymously as I don't want trouble.

I've been to Rockhome and enjoyed some DM events. However fun those were, I am disturbed at the power and metagaming going on over there.

Gigantic xp awards for easy kill spiders which are camped by players. Many of which are from or if you do or don't mind my saying it, invading Avlis.

RP is so poor as to be insubstantial. I appreciate the DM events but the players need wiping. Persons 8th level a few weeks ago are 16 today.

If I see 1 more person coming out of the sewers emoting 'clears cobwebs off his legs' I'll fuckin puke. Sorry for the language but there it is. THAT is how sickened I am. It's impossible for all this to go on without any DM authority being in the know. Just completely impossible as it is so prevalent.

Impossible.

I love the world but the players are abusing it to extremes.
lloydy
Ambassador: Mystara

Post by lloydy »

All is in hand

I hope u come back to see

Ambasador to rockhome
lloydy

ps would really help if u find anything that wrong or a bug to pm me or post it on the mystara boards rather than here

pps please feel free to pm me

Post by Guest »

Fair enough. Though how all's been changed in 12 hours I'll never know.

But I will bring my character over in 2 weeks time and report exactly what I see.

I reported this here and not privately because I know the DMs know what's going on. I experienced it firsthand. There's too much for it to go unnoticed. Human error can only account for so much.

I love the world you've made but it's being harshly abused.

Post by Guest »

Info for the original poster.

The players in question are not just from Avlis there are some who come from other servers too. I have tried to talk to them and found out where they came from. The new portals that have opened are in part creating this problem.

Posted anon telled to DM.
Starslayer_D
Ambassador: Abyss404

Post by Starslayer_D »

Dear 'guest' (the one behind teh firsttwo guest posts).. I have to wonder why you prefer to stay anonymious. Obviously you spend a lot of time on Rockhome, near the areas in questions.
Pwesonally I do not have much respect for people who criticise something, but hide behind anonymity in fear of possible repercussions.

You may have identified a true problem, but the way you choose to act about it is utterly contemptible in my eyes.
Making a threat to check up on the work of the Rockhome team and judge report any failings to jump upon the problem you saw and remove it should have deserved better than a login as 'guest'.

Unfortunately for you, login IP's can be compared between various boards to identify a poster. :twisted:
lloydy

Post by lloydy »

star thanks for your support in this matter

lloydy
lloydy

Post by lloydy »

to guest

quote " because I know the DMs know what's going on. I experienced it firsthand. "

buy this statement i presume you have been in a party jumped on by a dm for camping the spiders

lloydy
Starslayer_D

Post by Starslayer_D »

I am defenitely curious. MAybe I should take a look at the spiders myself :) Just to see what the fuss is about.

Post by Guest »

You know what Star, get stuffed. You don't like me posting it anon then too damn bad for you.

I WILL check up on this cause he has INVITED me to in his post. I am choosing to do it this way because I know it would cause problems for me or at least suspect it.
Starslayer_D

Post by Starslayer_D »

I still do not concur with your choice to anonymise yourself.

I doupt you would have faced any consequences.

But deliberately going anonym and then offering threats isn't the thing to do in my book.
Malathyre
Planar Sage

Post by Malathyre »

Anonymous, not anonymous, I don't think that really matters. I think this issue would have been better handled if you had contacted the staff of Rockhome directly, and not posted about it in a public fashion, or if you were going to post about it publicly, at least do it on the Rockhome boards.

I don't see any reason to continually bash anyone here, the anonymous fellow or Starslayer_D, that's not going to be constructive and it's not going to fix any problems, real or perceived. The anonymous fellow agreed to report the problems he perceived to the staff of Rockhome, and to document them first. Seems like this is settled.
<Daerthe> There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly.
Craziej
Noobie

Post by Craziej »

Keep up the great job Rockhome!! the server is fun!! If Guest doesn't like the way its run then guest can move on unless he or she is a member of another team ( i don't think or why would he/she hide themselves behind guest, none of the other copap team members do) A normal concerned player would let it Be known to rockhome rather than complain about it here. I agree Mal

Craziej

Post by Guest »

Thankyou Mal. I appreciate the outlook.

I was specifically told by DMs that I ~should~ post here in this forum on this subject after an email conference.

Lloydy, like I said before, I love Rockhome and hope its players are improved by this. I was not in a party though. I merely watched them do it for days.

Star, how I choose to do this by witholding my name is really unimportant. Go to Rockhome and visit the spiders in the sewers under Dengar, worth 61 or 75 xp each kill. Then head to Greenstone and sit invis watching people camp the Inn quest.

I posted anon because it's my option to and it's extra insurance that my gameplay will go uninterrupted.

That's all.
Flakey

Post by Flakey »

Anonymous wrote: Go to Rockhome and visit the spiders in the sewers under Dengar, worth 61 or 75 xp each kill.
Again you quote about the spiders, even after being told they have been fixed. Have you checked them out at all since then?

Or are you just mudslinging still.
Fuzz
Planewalker

Post by Fuzz »

Malathyre wrote:Anonymous, not anonymous, I don't think that really matters. I think this issue would have been better handled if you had contacted the staff of Rockhome directly, and not posted about it in a public fashion, or if you were going to post about it publicly, at least do it on the Rockhome boards.

I don't see any reason to continually bash anyone here, the anonymous fellow or Starslayer_D, that's not going to be constructive and it's not going to fix any problems, real or perceived. The anonymous fellow agreed to report the problems he perceived to the staff of Rockhome, and to document them first. Seems like this is settled.
Seconded. personally, i wouldn't have posted it here, nor would I have told you to do so, but seeing as how a member of the Rockhome Team (or whoever it was you emailed about it) told you to do it here, and you did it in good faith... no big loss. It's being handled properly now.

As to the anonymity... eh. I can see the need to remain anonymous out of fear that certain entities might lash back. I'm not saying DMs would, no no, I would heartily assume any world's team is above that. However, the chance of OOC backlash ingame from one of these players, who is now on the defensive over such allegations, is possible. Not all players can keep OOC and IC seperate, and problems do arise, so in this case the phrase "better safe than sorry" really does apply. Anonymous or no, you've made your point, and are taking it up with Rockhome's team privately, where it is, obviously, not anonymous, and therefore you don't fear any worlds' team. That's the right attitude... protecting yourself from teh possibility of backlash from other players is fine in my book. Criticizing someone for wanting to remain anonymous in a matter like this is also very rude.
Flakey wrote:
Anonymous wrote: Go to Rockhome and visit the spiders in the sewers under Dengar, worth 61 or 75 xp each kill.
Again you quote about the spiders, even after being told they have been fixed. Have you checked them out at all since then?

Or are you just mudslinging still.
Word choice is key when it comes to getting your point across with plain text. In this case, being dismissive of the person's greivances by pointing out they're Anonymous and saying they're "just mudslinging" is pretty unfair, since they're voicing an opinion, and doing it with good intentions, not to be hurtful.

Check that kind of attitude at the door.
MorphlingROR
Clueless Prime

Post by MorphlingROR »

First, I remember very well Terryayc saying that if there is a problem on a CoPaP world to go report it not just to the team, but to the CoPaP boards as well, so that everyone would know it and it would have to be fixed. Seeing how slowly some things are being fixed I can understand that.

Second, Rockhome has been known by players as a place to get easy XP / gear for a pretty long time and it's been discussed at least in IRC many times. When about three-four months ago I went to check it myself, it turned out to be truth. Disgusted by it then, and seeing how long the place had such a reputation I didn't bother to report as I was sure others already did (maybe it's my mistake). However I met a certain person who said he was from the team and was checking some of the areas. I then told about the xp being too high, and his reply was along the lines of it's no big deal, we keep things a little easier for the players, and those who want to get xp will find a way to get it anyway.

In June (if I remember the time correctly) after hearing there has been a change in xp code, I went there with my alt again. Xp turned out to be lower, but still overly high in certain areas. When you see kobolds that are made easier than the regular ones (fighting unarmed, provoking attacks of opportunity), and you get 20 xp for each, you are left wondering if their CR was somehow buffed up intentionally.

Frankly, that such posts like this one still turn up doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Nor when I hear of another level 20 in two months character who went on a visit to Rockhome.

As for the person being anonymous I guess I can understand that.
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

There have been a lot of changes made recently both to the xp and gear gained in Rockhome. The team has added some new members who are currently looking for these areas and drops and having them removed and lowered to be more in line. As well the team has also started cracking down on those people who come to powergame. It is generally known where these people like to hang out and those areas are being watched a lot more and those players are being watched as well. Rockhome may have gained a bad rep in the past, but it is being worked on. Many who have come in the past are likely to notice quite a few changes that have been made should they elect to return again. Bottom line is this. If you notice an area that you believe to be inconsistant. Please post the area and the creature in the mystara server developement boards so it can be fixed. The team is working on fixing all of these issues as they arise and with the addition of the new DMs policing things, I think you'll all like the changes that are being made.
Malathyre
Planar Sage

Post by Malathyre »

I'm not going to say anyone is right or wrong here, I frankly don't know, I've been to Rockhome only one time and the server crashed when I went there (not Rockhome's fault, for some reason, I seem to crash a lot of CoPaP worlds other than Avlis when I portal :( ).

However, the format of the posted complaints is still somewhat lacking, imho. As a DM on Tairis'nadur, I know if someone had a problem with an area on that world, what I would want to see isn't people saying, "monster A gives too much xp", I'd want to see people saying things like:

[example]
I spent xx hours in a specific area on this date.
During my time there, I earned xx XP.
My character level is x, and I was grouped with x other characters who were level(s) x and x, respectively. The people in my group earned xx XP for each of their characters.
Individual monster XP amounts:
Monster A = xx XP
Monster B = xx XP
Monster C...etc, you get the point.
During this time, my group and I picked up the following loot: (here follows a loot list, including gold).[/example]

If you wish to effect some change, file reports that are specific, precise, and contain useful data. Your opinions are nice, but they don't speak nearly as loud as actual numbers indicating what's going on.
<Daerthe> There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly.
Sindol
Ambassador: Catara

Post by Sindol »

Ok, I'm a nitpick about spelling, because I'm not a native english speaker myself and have put a lot of effort into it, so this might be just me, but I've just got to say something about what I've noticed in the general lines of this discussion.

Since these boards are the melting pot of many different teams, there's a lot of potential for either good cooperation or making enemies really fast. This means it's important how you treat people around here, what you tell them, and also how you tell them.

Take this:
Arkonswrath wrote:There have been a lot of changes made recently both to the xp and gear gained in Rockhome. The team has added some new members who are currently looking for these areas and drops and having them removed and lowered to be more in line. As well the team has also started cracking down on those people who come to powergame. It is generally known where these people like to hang out and those areas are being watched a lot more and those players are being watched as well. Rockhome may have gained a bad rep in the past, but it is being worked on. Many who have come in the past are likely to notice quite a few changes that have been made should they elect to return again. Bottom line is this. If you notice an area that you believe to be inconsistant. Please post the area and the creature in the mystara server developement boards so it can be fixed. The team is working on fixing all of these issues as they arise and with the addition of the new DMs policing things, I think you'll all like the changes that are being made.
This says: We've notices the same as you do and are definitely working on it. Here's some of the things we already did: -blahblah-. Please continue to give us some more of your wonderful feedback while you play on the world we all love.

Kudos to you Arkonswrath.

Then there's this:
lloydy wrote:All is in hand

I hope u come back to see

Ambasador to rockhome
lloydy

ps would really help if u find anything that wrong or a bug to pm me or post it on the mystara boards rather than here

pps please feel free to pm me
This basically tells me:
- Mind your own business, Rockhome will do what it likes and we don't require your input.
- I don't know how to speak or write english.

Just the general tone is offensive to me and would make me shun Rockhome. How much more effectively can you express that you really don't want to take the time to answer to player concerns than by not using punctuation and not even taking the time to write "you". I mean it's only two more strokes on a keyboard... :roll:
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Arkonswrath

Post by Arkonswrath »

Malathyre wrote: [example]
I spent xx hours in a specific area on this date.
During my time there, I earned xx XP.
My character level is x, and I was grouped with x other characters who were level(s) x and x, respectively. The people in my group earned xx XP for each of their characters.
Individual monster XP amounts:
Monster A = xx XP
Monster B = xx XP
Monster C...etc, you get the point.
During this time, my group and I picked up the following loot: (here follows a loot list, including gold).[/example]

If you wish to effect some change, file reports that are specific, precise, and contain useful data. Your opinions are nice, but they don't speak nearly as loud as actual numbers indicating what's going on.

This is probably the best format I've seen posted anywhere on this. If everyone used a format such as this it would make the time it takes to fix problems such as these so much shorter. Thanks Mal :)
BlueCougar
Planar Sage

Post by BlueCougar »

I must agree that the tone of some of the responses to this are derogatory and condescending. I have been hesistant to reply for I believe each should run their world as they see fit, but I've been following this thread from the beginning and feel I should respond.

My only comment is that no matter the motivation, information and feedback was given to benefit Rockhome. Most would not even bother to take the time, one cared enough to do it. I welcome constructive criticism, its the only way one learns, otherwise there will always be blindspots you will miss. Details would be beneficial but in that sense its looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Jag and I have only one thing that is sacred within our world that will never be changed and that is this "To have the best gaming experience for player and DM". Outside of that anything within the module can be changed to make that come to fruition.

Well I'm done, that's my 2 cents american.....
Etheria world dreamer....thinking about it again though...
Arkonswrath

Post by Arkonswrath »

Well, I understand the way you feel about it. But as I stated before, Rockhome has added a new Senior DM and at least 2 new DMs. We are working to fix a lot of these issues that have been brought up. We want the same thing you want, to make the game fun for both players and DMs. Please rest assured that I will do everything I am able to to help make that happen in Rockhome.
Ferus
World Leader: Mystara

Post by Ferus »

All issue are being attended to, and yes the problem with the sewers was a bit out of control, and they have been changed. and all the massive gem drops are completely gone. We have a top notch DM team now who are always dying to point out problems in the mod.

the thousand mile journey begins with the first step....

Lloydy has been working around the clock to quell the issues in rockhome , and Glantri. When someone is accused of not doing something when they've been working extensivly at it, can be rather frustrating when someone points out an issue that is known and is being delt with, just like someone like guest who would risk contempt to report player abuse anonymously. I hope the players that where exploiting the xp problem see this.
I think if anyone was telling you to go here though, i think (if it was me) i would have ment to PM me here the problems so they can be delt with, buth that wouldnt have solved (of sorts) the players exploiting.

Ferus
[url=http://www.theknownworld.org]Lands of Mystara[/url]
terryrayc
World Leader: Arkaz

Post by terryrayc »

*sigh* was going to write a long post but decided not to. Okay people as was noted above, the Rockhome team is working on it. Providing them feedback is a good thing...hell provide all the worlds feedback. However give as much detail as you can..it helps, I know trust me. I've seen way toooooo many posts that say things like 'XP is too high'......um all xp or just some xp or is it just one critter or what?

Remember it's all in the details.
Starslayer_D

Post by Starslayer_D »

Ok, spend soem time to gain a feel for XP on Rockhome.

With a lvl 6 and a lvl 13 char. So fr, XP are what one should exspect.

Defeat an easy creature, get ~ 7 Xp.

Defeat an effortless critter, get ~0-5 XP

Defeat a very difficult critter, and get considerably more, but no where more that 75 XP.

On Avlis, I manage more with certain creatures, just for comparison.

Also tested a few exploits and found the loopholes had been closed of.

The Rockhome team aparently has done a great effort to bring Rockhome in line with other COpap worlds. Small differences remain, butthat is to be exspected, each world it's own. Moonsea is harder than avlis, xp wise, eg.

I whant to thank the Rockhome team for all the effort an work they have done to create an enjoyable world out there.