question about portals

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!

question about portals

Post by Guest »

I have a question about how changes on a character made in one server are transferred back to another. I mean, do xp changes and inventory changes stay the same when one logs out of one server and then relogs into another one?

Specifically, I am referring to Rockhome and Avlis. I finally managed (with help) to find the Rockhome portal in Avlis. I crossed through and went to the desert. After about an hour of gameplay (puchased some new armor, killed random things) I decided I had enough. So I logged out.

Then, a few hours later, I relogged back to Avlis. Here, I discovered that the xp and items I had earned were gone. Is that supposed to happen?

This was actually my first experience outside on a copap world outside of Avlis and am just a bit confused... :?:
markschouten
Planar Sage

Post by markschouten »

If you don't take the portal from Rockhome to Avlis again , the version of your character in the Servervault will be the one from when you left Avlis. So if you didn't do that yet , that is most likely the problem.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Right, your stuff will only be retained if you portal back to Avlis properly. What you did is known as "server-hopping".
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Sindol
Ambassador: Catara

Post by Sindol »

In general the "golden rule" is:

Log back in where you logged out last time.

This will prevent any weird things from happening to your inventory, gold or XP.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Khaelindra
Groundling

Post by Khaelindra »

When you enter a server, that server loads the last known version of your character as stored on the DB of the world the server is part of.

When you use a portal to another world (like Rockhome to Avlis), your characterfile is transferred during portalling. When you enter the new server, the last known version of your character is the one just transferred, so all is A-ok.

However, when you jump to a server of another world without using a portal (like Rockhome to Avlis), you basically skip the character transfer file. The new server again loads your last known character, which is of course the version of your character when you portalled out if it is hopping back to a world you've already visited. When you do this in a world you have never been to, the character isn't even available.

When you do this between two servers of the same world, like two Avlis servers, you use the same version of your character as they use the same database and thus notice no effect.

Indeed basically, don't serverhop. If you have no choice, because for instance the world you were on has unexpectedly gone down for a long time, then know you reverse all effects gained in the last world.

I think in theory your old file is supposed to be deleted, leaving you no choice but to log into the correct world. However, in practise you still have old version lingering on all worlds you ever visited.

Hope this helps.

M.