Vaultster for Linux

Development for CoPaP
PlasmaJohn
Planewalker

Vaultster for Linux

Post by PlasmaJohn »

Dusts off the forum

As many of you probably know, in the Spring Avlis migrated to Linux VM's on VMWare ESXi server. I'll fess up, I knew that the Linux version of the Vaultster plugin was completely out of date, and IIRC, wasn't compatible with Win32 Vaultster when it was released. I was about halfway done with the port of the current Win32 plugin when I got slammed by RL.

It started as a straight port, but it was too closely tied to the Windows API, so I documented the protocol and rewrote it in (more) portable code using Boost (with the glaring exception of the directory searching bits). In other words, it should be fairly easy to port this back to 'doze.

All support for the GET command was removed. The existing Win32 code base blocks it after the connection has been established, this version returns failure immediately.

The server (receiver) is now standalone. It never made sense to me why it should be tied to a module and vice-versa where a crash in one affected the other. Splitting it off lets you run it on the machine responsible for your vault.

Vaultster Source
:
http://www.projectplasma.com/NWN/vaults ... ded.tar.gz

The plugin is located in plugins/vaultster
The server is located in vaultster-serv

You'll need boost::asio, boost::system, boost::program_options and boost::thread to compile. I tested against boost 1.37 backported to Ubuntu 8.04.2. The stock version of Boost for 8.04 is 1.34.1 but that's too old. I haven't checked recently, but I ~think~ there's now an official backport of 1.37 or later for 8.04.

Warning: this is only unit tested, there are probably some wickedly subtle bugs in here that need to be thrashed out. The transfers do pass an md5sum test.

If anybody needs a binary distribution, I've got one compiled for Ubuntu 8.04.2 server using NWNX SVN of about mid-March 09. Send me a PM on the Avlis boards if you're interested.

Ulterior Motives:

Primarily I want some better testing by interested parties. It has passed all of my internal testing, but it really needs more sets of eyes just to make sure I didn't overlook something due to familiarity. The lull in RL that allowed me to finish was only temporary.

Linux should be a viable option for CoPaP. This should address the remaining major hole. The Higher Grounds folks have produced some amazing plugins that are Linux only. I also much prefer the text console to the graphical abomination the Win32 server uses: no more Remote Desktop or VNC needed and it's scriptable. Finally we don't lose CPU cycles or RAM to a useless GUI.
p0m
Planewalker

Post by p0m »

I'll look into setting up a virtual image for this when I get home.

Lowering the operating costs for CoPaP will become a must in the near future I imagine and I'm glad this didn't get lost :)
[i]God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.[/i]
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

PlasmaJohn wrote:Primarily I want some better testing by interested parties. It has passed all of my internal testing, but it really needs more sets of eyes just to make sure I didn't overlook something due to familiarity. The lull in RL that allowed me to finish was only temporary.
I don't have enough hardware available to setup a Linux test server at this time. But I am interested to know if this is interacting reliably with the Windows version currently in CoPaP.

To that end, I do have a fully Vaultster capable test server available (can't switch it to Linux as it's an important computer on the network).

Have you been able to maintain compatibility with the existing include and scripts?
p0m wrote:Lowering the operating costs for CoPaP will become a must in the near future I imagine and I'm glad this didn't get lost :)
Considering that the Windows licenses are already bought, the only savings would be switching to a setup like Avlis has with "The Beast". That said, I'd still love to switch Hala/Ysgard and Tairis to Linux to free up my Windows licenses for my own computers. ;)
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
Darkfire
Spelljammer

Post by Darkfire »

While Linux would be the ideal host, it's not plausible to expect them to switch to it immediately, or without adequate funding.

We definitely need to make sure it works Linux <-> Windows.

Themi said tomorrow (Sunday) would be a great day for the testing to happen. Does that work for you PJ?
terryrayc
World Leader: Arkaz

Post by terryrayc »

I can always setup a vm or 2 for testing if we need it.
Visit the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com/wiki]Wiki[/url]
Or the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com]Website[/url]
PlasmaJohn
Planewalker

Post by PlasmaJohn »

Themicles wrote:But I am interested to know if this is interacting reliably with the Windows version currently in CoPaP.
I did test against Win32 Vaultster. I'm fairly certain it's using the plugin binary I grabbed from Avlis prior to the FrankenCluster going dark. I was going to say latest from nwnx.org, but I'm not really set up to compile those :lol:
Have you been able to maintain compatibility with the existing include and scripts?
Um... I believe so, I've been using some significantly cut down versions, so I can't swear that I've covered all the nuances.
Darkfire wrote:Themi said tomorrow (Sunday) would be a great day for the testing to happen. Does that work for you PJ?
To answer your question: In light of the Trade Fair, the wedding, the weekly Le'no event and RL errands, probably not.

I really did mean send me a PM when I said "send me a PM". After about Thursday, I stopped checking this thread every 5 min. I was also serious about finding somebody else to look at things... work has ramped right back up again and I'm more or less going to be out of touch for a month.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Well, let's get a plan together.

I can start my test server at any time and just leave it running. But what I can't do is configure the allowed addresses for Vaultster until I have some addresses of other test server(s). I need that/those before I can start my test server up.
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
Zebranky
Ambassador: The Grey Wastes

Post by Zebranky »

I have a test VM for each OS. Still need to finish the test mod, but the connection info will be:
Host: odin.mercuric.net
Win32: NWN 5121, Vaultster 5100
Linux: NWN 5122, Vaultster 5101

Password 'zeb' for player and DM on both servers. Vaultster credentials are the same as CoPaP uses.
Darkfire
Spelljammer

Post by Darkfire »

I could have sworn I posted a bump post. If I did and someone deleted it, just delete this one and I'll get the hint. Otherwise, I think I just thought I posted it and forgot.
Darkfire
Spelljammer

Post by Darkfire »

Let's get this show on the road!

There's not much I can do to help, and I am sure you'll take my word when I say I don't look good in a short skirt and pom poms...

So I'll just stand on the side line and hope for the best.

:D
Darkfire
Spelljammer

Post by Darkfire »

Couple days ago, Themicles and Spool talked a bit about getting some testing done, getting the proper servers setup, etc. Was supposed to happen Monday, but didn't. So unfortunately still pending on the testing.

Posting here just so everyone knows that progress is being made and hopefully to encourage communication that doesn't involve me as a messenger! :P
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

PlasmaJohn:
Could we get a list of all related versions?
Anyone with access can get me some of what I want I suppose. Just type the following in the console and paste the results here:
lsb_release -a
uname -a

Example output from my database server:
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS
Release: 8.04
Codename: hardy

uname -a
Linux phoenix 2.6.24-22-server #1 SMP Mon Nov 24 19:14:19 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
Darkfire
Spelljammer

Post by Darkfire »

Still need that info Themi?
PlasmaJohn
Planewalker

Post by PlasmaJohn »

http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1513

LinuxVaultster-1.0.0 has been released.
Darkfire
Spelljammer

Post by Darkfire »