Question: Item Palettes synchronization?

Development for CoPaP
The Sveg
Ambassador: Avlis

Question: Item Palettes synchronization?

Post by The Sveg »

I am not 100% sure that this has not been addressed yet, but I will bring it up anyway.

Has there been any decision on how to handle the palettes of the linked servers?

If a character from world A has a custom item from world B and makes an action that calls for a database retrieval of his items (pers chests, death code, etc) how shall we deal with it?

Perhaps we should do a monthly synchronisation of custom items or something?

It would also enrich all our worlds item palettes if the DMs on every server had access to exotic items for special awards from special plots.

There would have to be specific names so that DMs know which world this item comes from or if it supposed to be a custom reward to a specific PC so as not to give it out as a reward, etc.

What do you think?
Warning!
Lawful Evil DM
[img]http://www.brainhellas.com/stelios/bat_angel.gif[/img]
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

I'm pretty much against this...
Please see old threads on the Avlis boards, circa the Mythos linkup.

Synchronizing all the world's custom item palettes is a logistical nightmare.
I have all of Avis' items (up to a certain date anyway)... and one of my DMs in particular bugs me ALL THE DAMN TIME, to clean the palette up.

I'd go as far as to say that it may even be a bad idea for performance reasons as well... think about Wilderness. If it hasn't hit 100megs yet, this certainly would put it over.

-Themicles
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Wilderness has been over 100 megs for a while now.

Yeah, we already determined this would be a bad idea.

Avlis has 2000+ custom items, or at least I lost count at 1400 and that was about 5 months ago. It could be as high as 3000 for all I know.

You show me someone who wants to add all 2000+ of Avlis' items to their palette, and I'll gladly give them the erf. However, I sure as heck wouldn't put all copap items into Avlis' pallette.

The outcome of the discussion last time was that CoPaP would not be synchronizing items on a large scale, however, if one world wanted to get the items from another world to put into its pallete, we would treat that as an internal matter. World Leaders have all the freedom in the world to totally SCREW their item palettes if they wish.

More power to 'em.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Mistcaller
Groundling

Post by Mistcaller »

I agree with Orl and Themi for the same reasons, plus I think its quite exciting for a player to feel he might lose that exotic item... It makes him love and look after it more, IC and OOC. ;)

PS. Hey, Themi when are we going to clean up those palettes?? :P
Morbid Ridicule
Clueless Prime

Post by Morbid Ridicule »

Oh, good idea, Mistcaller.

Hey Pitched, when are we going to clean up those pallettes?
Player / Hala DM
subspace1011
Noobie

Post by subspace1011 »

I'd like to make a suggestion when making custom items from now on. In the description it would be helpful to the players to put something like "Found on Hala" or "Found on Avlis".

As more and more characters traverse the different worlds, it will be very easy to forget which item can't go in which persistent chest.
Alexandru Stanicu
World Leader: Avlis

Post by Alexandru Stanicu »

Just FYI... We have started a project to create one unified Palette for Avlis. We have had a problem of items getting added to one module and not the others. (We have put in a new process that should prevent this in the future)
When I finished exporting all the modules palettes and combinded them in to one, there were almost 5000 custom items.
We are also in the process of re-orginizing what catagories things are placed in to make it easier for a DM online to create a specific item. (ie the things that shouldnt be given as rewards will all be in one catagory of the palette, the DM items will be in there own etc) When we have finished, I would be happy to post the set up of the catagories if anyone is interested in looking at it as an example.

-Alex
Starslayer_D
Ambassador: Abyss404

Post by Starslayer_D »

Most certainly.. think of your poor subs... who'd love to help you while creating items, but don't know the system yet and thus are prone to get it misaligned even before it's done by new items. :)
Alexandru Stanicu
World Leader: Avlis

Post by Alexandru Stanicu »

Starslayer_D wrote:Most certainly.. think of your poor subs... who'd love to help you while creating items, but don't know the system yet and thus are prone to get it misaligned even before it's done by new items. :)
I was offering to share it with the rest of COPaP, the current Avlis system is posted in the Avlis Lib, which our subs have access to. The new system will be posted over the old one when its finished.
Nighthawk4
Planewalker

Post by Nighthawk4 »

iirc, back when we first connected to Mythos, players were warned not to put Mythos items in chests and that they might well be lost if they died.

Of course, at that time, few people were involved and even fewer items - mostly minor things like portal chips.

Now we are talking of a lot more people and items - including valuable items.

Even so, I think we just have to accept that this would be a nightmare in terms of the time and size and probably lag - so I say we should not do it.
Avlis1 Head DM

You mean Avlis isn't Real Life?