Welcome, newcomers!

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Welcome, newcomers!

Post by Orleron »

Just wanted to give all the wandering newcomers a welcome. This community sprung up very fast.... 115 registered users in less than 24 hours. Now we would like to all get to know each other and put some substance behind that!

Introduce yourselves!
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Cemm
Noobie

Post by Cemm »

I'm Cemm, I've been roleplaying for about twenty years, MUDing/roleplaying online for about twelve years, and joined the Avlis community in June 2003.

I've basically abandoned any other gaming since...HEH! I'm yet another Avlis addict I guess.

The CoPaP has got to be one of the most exciting things I've seen in a long time. These worlds are fantastic and full of life and the community is incredible. I've finally found that graphical roleplaying haven I've long been looking for.

Heck, even the text-based gaming world I've been a customer of for so long has never quite managed to maintain the consistent level of roleplay demanded across the board here. I really think that speaks volumes about what has been accomplished here in this community.

I can remember my first run through the first of the Baldur's Gate series, constantly thinking, 'Wow...it is so cool to finally play in this world I used to love in pen-and-paper gaming!'

The idea that the Sword Coast might once again come alive, but this time as a persistent world someone might create for the CoPaP, well...that is just too cool.

Bravo to everyone involved in this effort! I can't thank you enough for all your hard work that you're sharing with the rest of us. You've really created something truly special.
Jordicus
World Leader: Avlis

Post by Jordicus »

I'll keep it short and simple.

I am Jordicus, a Avlis member for almost a year now, and since August or so an Avlis Area Builder.
"Wow. I can hear my brain." - The Tick
IanFine
Noobie

Post by IanFine »

I'm Ian Fine. I Played PnP with Orleron for years. When he told me about Avlis, and how he made my old PC Gorethar onto a diety, I checked it out. I still play as often as I can trick my wife into taking some ruffies and giving me some free time. :twisted: I am constantly impressed by the level of player tha Avlis attracts. Everyone has been super cool, or if not, uncool in character, which is just as good. My only complaint is that Orleron has given me nothing for free. Hey Man! I have our year books and a scanner! You had better give me some cookies quick!

Ian Fine
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

I kee yo ass
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Teibidh
Clueless Prime

Post by Teibidh »

I'm Bob, from account... wait, that's not right.

I'm James, formally known pretty much everywhere I travel as Teibidh.

I've been playing PnP games for ... well, we'll say it's been at least 2 decades, and I'll leave it at that. I've played pretty much everything out there, if I haven't played a particular game, then I've done something close enough that it probably counts (remember Paranoia?).

As far as online experience goes I've done most of that too.. All the popular MMORPGs including Ultima Online, Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, even Star Wars Galaxies until it left beta, still can't justify paying for that piece of... er, nevermind.

In addition to all the retail stuff there's prolly close to 15 years of experience playing with MU* format games, the predecessors to all you hold dear now :P

I've done coding, building and area development on several of those text based online environments and many of the principals are the same, though it's a lot harder for me to use the toolset than it was to simply describe the surroundings in text... much more limiting format.

Currently I've taken a staff position on Abyss and will be building areas, DMing and writing some of the less intensive script type stuff once Red Golem has finished cleaning up my style.

Anyways, that's me in a nutshell. Feel free to contact if you have any questions pertaining to anything not in the following categories: NWN, CoPaP, Avlis, Abyss 404, building, scripting, DMing, character development, and life in general :P
You'll see me in Hell? I'm quite sure. Just head for the center. I'll be the guy sitting on the throne with the cold beer in one hand, your sister in the other and your mom as a footrest.
Sindol
Ambassador: Catara

Post by Sindol »

Hi, I'm Sindol.

Since januari this year I've been an active player on Avlis. Two characters I made in the first month or two and I still play them both. One is now level 12 and the other level 8. This can be called excessive slow levelling, but don't let it scare you. Most of my time went into DMing, you see.

It took me only a few months to also apply for a minor DM position to further that amazing world. It was a natural step for me, since I was and still am a DM for my Pen and Paper roleplay group as well; we still play once a week. Avlis was three servers big then, Elysia had just started and I decided to make it my base of operation. I never left and since then Elysia has flourished like our older servers. It has been a sincere pleasure to see it grow and blossom.

Now Avlis counts six complete servers and I've accepted a promotion to Senior DM on Avlis, the only one in Europe so far, although there are lots of minor DMs from around my timezone.

I also did a bit of playtesting for Travellers in that time, but it was only very minimal, since my first priority obviously lies with Avlis. Travellers is a beautiful world as well though. It was still in its infancy compared to Avlis when I saw it last, but with Themicles and his hand-picked crew working on it hard, I'm sure it will be ready for the many players it will attract once it opens its doors to the general CoPaP public.

I script a bit and know how to use the toolset effectively, I'm probably good enough in both to best the average player, although I'm not an expert in either. I'll leave that to our more gifted quest and area builders and scripter.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Vian
Clueless Prime

Post by Vian »

A guy with a naked a guy in his sig is the original gorethar!?

Gah!

(Avlis Major DM - Gorethar God of Paladins and player of Lord Vian Valorian - First Paladin of Gorethar in Avlis.....

Makes me rethink what my character ACTUALLY believes in lol ;0)

V~
Lycanthropy
Noobie

Post by Lycanthropy »

I'm Lycanthropy.

I've been playing on Avlis since April, and have never really looked back. I have one main character, Illivara De'Markesi (all seven levels of her!), a warrior Maiden of Dre'Ana, and a few alts, all in varying degrees of insanity/dysfunction. I've always had a great time in the wonderful RP-based environment, and am looking forward to seeing the other places which share the environment and virtues.

I applied to be a DM in September, and to my great amazement and delight was accepted. The short time I have spent doing that has been immensely enjoyable and rewarding, and I hope the players felt the same.

However, present computer troubles have rendered me MIA... but this should be rectified shortly.

Welcome to all the new players, and do enjoy!

-Lyc.
Aribeth
Noobie

Hello

Post by Aribeth »

I am Aribeth

I have over 20 years of PnP D&D experience as a player and DM. Played in low level, mid level, and high level campaigns. DM'd mid and high level campaigns. I am an associate DM in a tournament level Team PvP D&D game in Los Angeles, CA.

I have played UO for almost 5 years on the Baja Shard and have spent the rest of my time on two NWN servers, FH Krynn and Stormplay LOTR.

I am very interested in seeing a world that has multiple planes function together.
hermyt
World Leader - LoT: Moonsea

I'm HerMyT

Post by hermyt »

Like most other here I've got alot of pnp experience under my belt, about 16 years, everything under the sun at one point in time or another from d&d to rifts, champions etc, aside from that, reading and martial arts, my main passion is computers. I've been punching away at them since I was 10 yrs old in 86, and 17 years later, I'm still gaming on them, I code a variety of languages, fix them, network them, whatever. I cracked open the toolset about a year and a half ago and I've been doing mad scripting since then, 21 hour days sometimes.

This game is the best thing ever. I love playing it and I love building for it. I joined avlis back in about august I guess, and I've been playing since then my one character Simon Render.
Of course these days I have little to no time to play, I'm doing alot of mad scripting work trying to get our pw project ready to hook with Copap, mostly just myself and my brother are developing the northern moonsea area in Faerun, and I'm packing in scripting from the last year and putting the systems together while he's building most of the areas and laying things out.

well thats me,

HerMyT
GreyLynx
Clueless Prime

Post by GreyLynx »

Hi, I'm GreyLynx,
I spend my time on Avlis now (with little jaunts to other worlds) with my 1 current character, Gil. Previously, I had played the various incarnations of PnP D&D for about 15yrs as player and DM (usually DM), then dropped off for a few years for lack of time and folks to play with, until Baldur's Gate came out. I had always disliked computer games, but I totally fell in love with BG and the follow-ups as a computer version of the older games. I only got into the on-line aspect of gaming when NWN came out. I started on another PW for a few months, and then found Avlis back in March and got hooked.

I think the role-play environment being generated by CoPaP is absolutely incredible on so many levels, I just want to thank all the Lords and Ladies responsible for it. From custom scripts, to beautiful worlds, to awesome DMs, to an incredible player base. The worlds you've made are the perfect heirs to D&D, and I am ever in awe of the skill and dedication of all involed in their creation.
Thanks all!
GreyLynx
Morbid Ridicule
Clueless Prime

Post by Morbid Ridicule »

Hi. I'm Morbid Ridicule. I started playing in Avlis back in May... Waited a couple months after the link with Hala was established... Then I applied to be a DM for Hala. (I was scared of applying for Avlis)... Just recently, I achieved DM status in Abyss404 as well... and plan on running quests that span across both servers once Abyss404 is added to CoPaP.
Player / Hala DM
diddeecoy
Noobie

Post by diddeecoy »

hello!

Im diddeecoy, and in contrast to most I guess, I havent got PnP background ... I played a bit many moons ago (a few months duration). That was D & D version 1, so from that I guess you can tell Im no spring chickie! Anyway, I enjoyed that but I never "fell in" with another group who was into D& D till I found out you can play it on the internet with an international community that never goes to sleep! Since May I guess its fair to say Ive spent too much time IC on Avlis, but its a lot of lost time to make up for huh?
choraldances
Ambassador: The Grey Wastes

Post by choraldances »

Choraldances: Like Jordicus, i'll keep it short.

Been in Avlis member for about 14 months, and a DM for about 1 year.
Malathyre
Planar Sage

Post by Malathyre »

How did I miss this thread before? Anyway, Malathyre, only been rping PnP about 5 years (Earthdawn and Star Wars d20), and I have never played D&D via PnP, only via computer game. Born in the late 70's and a child of the 80's, my first exposure to CRPG's came in the form of the game Phantasie for the Commodore 64...my halcyon days of youth...*sighs*. Back to the present, I play one character on Avlis named Eloryn Yeritashemar, a druid and Warrior Maiden of Dre'Ana. I have only been playing for a little under 3 months, and my character is only level 5.

Someday, I'll win the lottery, quit graduate school and play Avlis full time, but until then, I shall probably continue to level at a snail's pace--and have a blast doing it!! :D

I'd love to portal around and see some of these other worlds/planes/servers that people have developed! See you online, and happy gaming.
<Daerthe> There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly.
Pekarion
Noobie

mhm

Post by Pekarion »

Seing as most of you are dm's/builders/scripters and all have long time experience with pnp I don't why I'm responding to this thread :lol:

I'm Pekarion, play Pekarion Shadowstepa an elven rogue, I think I'll take this char to my death as I have had him for as long as I can remember. I've played on mythos a long time ago, then Pek went to play on avlis for about 8 months, and I'm looking for new worlds to visit In these CoPaP days :wink: for the time being I recide in Hala :)
Vichan Lyonsen
Planewalker

Post by Vichan Lyonsen »

I am Vichan....I have been playing various and sundry RPG's since the early chainmail ruleset....got away from ADND and moved to Rolemaster....Space Opera...TRaveller...Boot Hill...Top Secret....Twilight 2000...anyway the list goes on...

In each one of those systems I was both player and DM, splitting my DM duties with a friend who would DM his campaign in which I was a player...and he a player in my campaign...

It had been several years that I had only occasional playtime, when NWN was released..I gave up on the SP game very quickly and ended up on DSO (darksun online) which was fun enough...but it is a PvP server, and while there is some excellent RP there....it wasnt conducive to it IMO.

I then went to Mythos, where I enjoyed myself greatly. About that time, Mythos joined with Avlis....Thats How I found myself in Avlis back in July (or was it June..I dont remember). To be honest. I never ever returned to Mythos.

Only a month or so ago, I applied and was accepted as a minor DM on Avlis, I now split my time between playing (which I greatly enjoy and will not give up) and DM'ing which has its own set of equally enjoyable rewards.
vergilius
Planar Sage

Post by vergilius »

I'm Vergilius

You could say I'm a relative latecomer to RPing. I didn't get into PNP till about 3-4 years ago. Within 3 months of starting my PNP experience, I was selected as DM for the group, which was quite the learning time.

It has only been recently that I switched to online RPing. I was a strategy gamer in college, but that genre is populated by too mnay 15 year old kids. When NWN came out, I heard from one in my PNP group and purchased it. PLayed through the SP campaign, but played a lot more warcraft 3 in that time. Around last April, I was a bit bored with the strat and decided to switch back into NWN. About this time, my best friend from college was told about Avlis and after watching him play for a week, I decided to give it a try as well and haven't looked back since.

Thus, Avlis, May to present. Its been an enjoyable ride and looking forward to great things in the future.
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

Hi, I'm Themicles, and I'm an addict. :lol:

I've been playing roleplaying games, both PnP and on the computer, for
about... 10 or 11 years now. I started "writing" the background to my PW
back in highschool... but the problem is, little of it was actually written on
any sort of paper. What was written is either lost, or very lite on any sort
of detail. So... writing up the world info has been a process of things
triggering my memory.

The day before the official release of NWN, it arrived in the local
CompUSA. My fiance (Kessa) works there, and found out about it being in
the warehouse. She had them set aside a copy for her, and brought it
home on the day of release. I opened the toolset immediately after
installing it, and started building the castle I had designed for the world. It
was the only real thing I had drawn and written to that extent. Worked on
it solo until I gave up due to lack of skill and knowledge in scripting. Thus
I began my search for a PW to play on.

I applied to Avlis in December of 2002. Didn't find out I was accepted till
late January of 2003. By February 2003, I was in talks with Orleron about
linking our worlds. Shortly there-after I began recruiting a team and
started work back up on my world. We were supposed to link quite some
time ago now, but I kept putting it off because it wasn't ready. It still isn't,
but then, I suppose it never will be, if it has to meet my standards for it. :lol:

So, now, I play less, work more... and more... and more. I have a bad
habit of getting in work cycles that amount to twelve hours a day, seven
days a week... and then burning out and disappearing for a month. You
may wonder how I can spend that amount of time. I currently live with
my parents, and Kessa. She supports me and my goals of getting a
software company started. We both consider my Travellers project to be
a test run, and learning tool.

-Themicles
Sydney Losstarot
Clueless Prime

Post by Sydney Losstarot »

Hi I'm Sydney, most say Syd :D
Don't have much PnP experience except for the fact I played D&D for a couple of months.
Heared about Avlis from some friends and joined in september. Some might know my main Sydney Losstarot.
I became a DM in Rockhome not long ago.
I enjoyed the things I've put up and I hope so did the players involved.

A big welcome to all newbies
Keep watch only for the Giants and you'll be eaten by the Ants
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Tairis'nàdur

Post by JollyOrc »

Hi,

I'm JollyOrc. I play PnP roleplay for 12+ years or so. Often as DM, but also as a regular player.

NWN was bought by me just because the multiplayer part of it. I tried the DM client of Vampire, and threw it away very quickly.

Last year in january I joined Avlis and am hooked since then.

When Themicles started hiring for his team, I immediately jumped the bandwagon so to say :)
bye,
JollyOrc
Noobie

Post by Teria Kross »

Hi, I'm Kessa, Themicles's fiance, as mentioned above. I have been RPing for about three years now, started off in UO, not really an RP world but hey, it's where I started. Anyway, I am one of those girls that started off hating RPing, and everything about it, and computers, until my ex built me my first one. Ever since then I have not looked back.

My ex taught me a little about computers, but would never let me try to do the work myself. And then I left him for Themi, and he has taught me everything I know about the machines that I own and love. I am now currently the Tech Administrator for our local CompUSA, and I love it. Everyday I am learing something new, either from Themi, my boss, or my partner in crime, and lead tech, Mike.

I am current;ly working very hard at getting my certs so I can become the first female tech in our store. And have been talking to my boss about what I need to learn to become a manager. Not just any manager, the first female tech manager in our region. He says that I still have quite a lot to learn about the operations of being a manager, but as far as the technical aspect of the machines, I have it opretty down.

As Themi said above, we live with his parents, and I support the both of us, and our addiction to building bigger, better, faster machines. As well as our gaming addictions. Some seem to have a problem with the fact that the famale is supporting the man in our relationship, but hey, it's my choice. The goal is to get his company up and running, and he needs all the time in the world to do so, therefore I will not let him work. Yeah it's hard at times, but we manage.

Ok, enough about me, I want to hear more about the rest of you.

-Kessa
[i]We have all heard tales of the legendary "She Geek," but they have long been dismissed as fantasy and myth. -GPF-Comics[/i]
Dartagnon
Noobie

Post by Dartagnon »

Allow me to introduce myself;
I am Dartagnon, a member of Crimson Stars Development Team.
Being new to them, Hellfire had sent me in this direction and I can't wait to adventure your lands. I 've been playing D&D for roughly twenty years, both DM and Player. I, too started playing Baldur's Gate as soon as it made it's way to my small village in this far-away land. Loving every minute, I continued to purchase and play every D&D game BioWare made. BGII came with the ad for NWN, which was really mean! Waiting, for me, is like toture... and they made me wait for years... firing Black Aisle and going up for grabs really made me tense!

Now, my wife has to literally drag me away!
Yes, I am a HUGE fan of NWN and BioWare. I know they get, and possibly deserve, all kinds static from the community, but my exceptionally large fluffy hat is off to them as I feel that nothing else on the market has brought such an exciting cast of players, DM's, Developers, readers, artists and so forth together in such an organized fashion, with spectacular results, like this site, for instance!

Whew! Anyways, I feel honored to be here and will be stepping foot inside very soon... Thanks for this wonderful opportunity!
All for One,
and One for All!
Serpentax
Groundling

Post by Serpentax »

Serpentax Here

Im part of the Abyss 404 Team (mainly a DM but some Dev work)

I've been playing D&D since 1987 when i had first edition rules...
Also a great fan of Cthulhu and White wolf pnp, i DM a vampire game once a week with my friend.

NWN side, i've been playing since it first came out.. (well 2 days afterwards) While i prefer the lack of Hakpacks that Abyss-404 has.. i do look fowards to it joining the CoPaP...

Players will find im a harsh but fair DM... i try to make my sessions enjoyable.. but foolish pc's do often end up dead..
I've read most of the CoPaP doc's and keep a copy of the item limits on my pc desk at all times.. :)

Anyway i have to dash as Im due to DM soon..
(i clock about 6-12 hours a day online as i have no RL.. well beyond a computer)

See you laters, and hope ill wander your worlds as a PC at some time....