Coming soon to Greyhawk: Truly persistent item backups

News posting forum for Greyhawk West.

Moderator: Greyhawk West News

Bruno Knotslinger
Ambassador: Greyhawk West

Coming soon to Greyhawk: Truly persistent item backups

Post by Bruno Knotslinger »

In the next couple of weeks, truly persistent item backups will be in place when a PC dies on WoG. Although it rarely happens, it does happen: You die, and the server crashes before you can get your things back. Well, shortly you will be able to die on Greyhawk without fear of losing your unique or off-world items if you can't get to your corpse in time. Successful initial tests have already been done, and I'm too excited to not share the news. (Here is the point where someone yawns and points to a server or a thread informing me that it's already been done before.)

Prior to working on this, we also made some neat changes to the plant-type renewable resources. Obviously, I'm not going to share the details, but I hear that the comfry is in bloom this time of year.

Edit: Now live.
Last edited by Bruno Knotslinger on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Final Shinryuu
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Re: Coming soon to Greyhawk: Truly persistent item backups

Post by Final Shinryuu »

Bruno Knotslinger wrote: (Here is the point where someone yawns and points to a server or a thread informing me that it's already been done before.)
SORCO persistance on Avlis and Hala does this, and we have it working on the inn persistant chests in Hades, thus they are able to store off-world items that are not on our palette.
Thank the Avlis team. I'm sure whoever coded it could help you out with yours, too! ^^
Bruno Knotslinger

Re: Coming soon to Greyhawk: Truly persistent item backups

Final Shinryuu wrote: SORCO persistance on Avlis and Hala does this, and we have it working on the inn persistant chests in Hades, thus they are able to store off-world items that are not on our palette.
Thank the Avlis team. I'm sure whoever coded it could help you out with yours, too! ^^
Yes. SCO/RCO using Set/GetPersistentObject is what's used. I didn't claim I reinvented the wheel. But, as far as I know, I have not seen the backups of items that are dumped to your corpse on death have true persistency anywhere. I'm pretty sure not on Avlis. Since only the resref is stored as a backup (at least in the zero mod... and I've seen no evidence to indicate otherwise in the current Avlis mods), in the case where the server crashes before you get your items back, only those that exist on the palette are restored. The rest? Well...

As far as help? It's already coded. I'm currently testing and chasing down little bugs.
Final Shinryuu
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Post by Final Shinryuu »

Yeah, you corrected me on the spelling.

It's something only recently implemented on Avlis, though. In the last few months, really. So it likely woulden't be in the current copy of the Zero Mod that you have.

Still, good job on getting it working! Mad props. ^^
Bruno Knotslinger

Well, testing tonight went off without uncovering a single bug. I'm sure they're there, but we're happy enough with its stability to get the code in our production module this weekend. Happy happy joy joy!

Oh, I forgot to mention the best part! Because Get/SetPersistentObject stores containers along with their contents, all of your crap will be in the same bags it was in when you died. Woot!
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

Test with stacks.

Test thoroughly with stacks.
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
Bruno Knotslinger

Themicles wrote:Test with stacks.

Done. And done.

Unless there's a problem with Set/GetPersistentObject and stacks that I'm unaware of.
Psyco
Planewalker

Post by Psyco »

Bruno Knotslinger wrote:
Themicles wrote:Test with stacks.

Done. And done.

Unless there's a problem with Set/GetPersistentObject and stacks that I'm unaware of.
Not sure which ones you are aware of, but there are many many issues with stacks. I am not going to post details here as it is public and some are potentially exploitable, but pm me or start a thread in the dev section if you want details.

And Avlis does not yet have true persistance on death corpses, only on chests.