OOC anticipation on the Avlis-servers being moved...

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Khaelindra
Groundling

OOC anticipation on the Avlis-servers being moved...

Post by Khaelindra »

...or: how to give the OOC move an IC-flavour.

An idea i'd like to put forward to anticipate the coming of a,lot of characters from Avlis to Hala for a few weeks while the Avlis servers are being moved...

As is anticipated now, during the time that the Avlis servers are being moved to their new location, a lot of players will have their characters continue on adjecent worlds to stafe off cold turkey abstinence effects. This will mean an influx in Hala, Tairis'nadur and Rockhome (the portal to Deglos is open again as i understood).

Would it be a nice idea, and feasible, to coordinate some IG event that would provide an IC reason for those characters to come over? I can imagine Avlis creating some cosmic superstorm that would drive all characters to escape to other worlds and that's it, but maybe some specific quest/search/task can be worked out to actually give the visit to the other worlds some content. Some ingredients/items that need to be collected to quench the storm raging on Avlis, with such items being available all over the linked worlds for instance.

This might also be a nice opportunity to perhaps have some world-transgressing links built up.

Is this feasible? Is this already being worked out?

Cheers,

Mickey.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Though I don't particularly gel with "cosmic superstorm" ideas (go ahead ask me why), it is certainly fine if individual PC's wish to find a reason to get to another world ICly.

However, if all goes well, it won't be necessary. *crosses fingers* The way we have it planned, the downtime will be hours, not days.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Khaelindra
Groundling

Post by Khaelindra »

Orleron wrote: Though I don't particularly gel with "cosmic superstorm" ideas (go ahead ask me why)
Why? :shock:

Orleron wrote: However, if all goes well, it won't be necessary. *crosses fingers* The way we have it planned, the downtime will be hours, not days.
Ow, that would be great! :D

I mentioned it because the last info available is still talking about days/weeks. If this is not the case, all the better of course... :D
Arcsylver
Groundling

Post by Arcsylver »

What you mean we aren't going to fall back on the old Avlis staple of "Chaos Storms" for this one ?

:wink:
Sindol
Ambassador: Catara

Post by Sindol »

You mean you haven't got alts to play on all CoPaP worlds like me? :?
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Khaelindra
Groundling

Post by Khaelindra »

Sindol wrote:You mean you haven't got alts to play on all CoPaP worlds like me? :?
I do, but i prefer to play my main there instead... 8)
Sindol
Ambassador: Catara

Post by Sindol »

This weekend is when it's going down. Starting somewhere fridaynight local server time (east coast USA). I think I'll either go for Tairis or spent my time offline developing Avlis content for future servers. :)
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Serpentax
Groundling

Post by Serpentax »

personally i find IC explinations for OCC things is a bad idea..

if the servers need to go down to move.. then it all stops running..
when its moved and back up the characters are back in...
no one noticed a thing...

and for the duration portals just stop working.. things like that do happen in the multiverse :D..
Khaelindra
Groundling

Post by Khaelindra »

Serpentax wrote:personally i find IC explinations for OCC things is a bad idea..

if the servers need to go down to move.. then it all stops running..
when its moved and back up the characters are back in...
no one noticed a thing...
This goes for the 95% of the characters that do nothing in the meantime, yes. But for the few dozen character that 'suddenly' all together get the urge to planetravel even though they never even considered it before, it's another story. Because the planetravel -DID- happen when the Avlis servers are back up again.

*shrugs* it was not a request; my own characters are already travellers as i wish to explore the CoPaP environment to the fullest. It was just a suggestion, which has already become obsolete/irrelevant by the changed estimated downtime dropping from a possible few weeks to a few hours.