Game Questions

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Aribeth
Noobie

Game Questions

Post by Aribeth »

I find it very interesting to play on a variety of servers. However, I have some reservations.

1. How will magic items be controlled among the servers?

2. How will experience be controlled among the servers?

3. How will wealth accumulation be controlled among the servers?

4. Is SoU added to the servers?

5. Will "House" rules be posted so that all players know what "tweaks" have been implemented such as changes to rules, spells, feats, skills etc?

6. Will HotU be added when it comes out next week?

7. Will guilds be allowed to flourish and be supported?

8. I assume I can start on any of the member servers and my character will be able to transfer to any other member server, is that true?

Thanks for your time

Aribeth
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Re: Game Questions

Post by Themicles »

Aribeth wrote:I find it very interesting to play on a variety of servers. However, I have some reservations.

We have rules for member servers. There are specific item rules outlined,
and if a world does not comply, they wont be able to join. If they were to
join, and not follow the item rules, it would throw the other servers out of
balance very quickly.
Aribeth wrote: 2. How will experience be controlled among the servers?
I'll let others answer this one fully, but largely it should be the same on
all servers.[/quote]
Aribeth wrote: 3. How will wealth accumulation be controlled among the servers?
I'll let one of the others handle this one.[/quote]
Aribeth wrote: 4. Is SoU added to the servers?
Yes, SoU is being used on the servers I have tested so far.
Aribeth wrote: 5. Will "House" rules be posted so that all players know what "tweaks" have been implemented such as changes to rules, spells, feats, skills etc?
Again, I'll let the others answer this one. My rules are largely the same as
Avlis on my world.
Aribeth wrote: 6. Will HotU be added when it comes out next week?
Aribeth wrote: 7. Will guilds be allowed to flourish and be supported?
I can't speak for all the servers, but there is a guild system on Avlis and
Travellers. I'll let the Avlis devs comment on specifics though, as its their
code.
Aribeth wrote: 8. I assume I can start on any of the member servers and my character will be able to transfer to any other member server, is that true?
If you start a character on Avlis, you will be able to travel to the worlds
that are directly linked to it, and from there, the worlds linked to that
world. Going from one world to another is smooth, and works just like
using an area transition. The difference is that you will be connected to the
server the portal sends you to.
Aribeth wrote: Thanks for your time

Aribeth
Thanks for your interest.

-Themicles
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Item drops are controlled by the database in CoPaP servers. Details are in the Articles of Confederation document.
2. How will experience be controlled among the servers?
Each server in CoPaP has a slightly different experience system, but they are all monitored so that players of one server do not advance faster or slower than the other servers.
3. How will wealth accumulation be controlled among the servers?
Same basic answer as above.
4. Is SoU added to the servers?
Yes. All CoPaP servers must be SoU right now.

5. Will "House" rules be posted so that all players know what "tweaks" have been implemented such as changes to rules, spells, feats, skills etc?
That's largely up to the PW you're playing on. If they want to post it, that's their right. If not, you'll find out IC.
6. Will HotU be added when it comes out next week?
Not next week, no. But in about a month or two, yes. We need some time to make up a HoTU hakpak, and to monitor bug reports from other places before we implement HoTU. And we'd like to give the players time to buy it.

7. Will guilds be allowed to flourish and be supported?
Avlis-compliant servers have a guild system, so yes. Non-Avlis compliant servers usually do too.

8. I assume I can start on any of the member servers and my character will be able to transfer to any other member server, is that true?
Correct. That's the point of the entire venture.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."

One last question

Post by Guest »

First off,

Thanks for the timely response to my earlier questions.

My last question has to do with players that are also DMs, I have had the unfortunate experience to see players that became DMs abuse their authority by giving their character benefits that any other regular player will not have access to. I personally believe that the player/DM is a conflict of interest and will more often not decrease the level of trust between player and DM.

What is the policy of player/DMs here and what controls exist to prevent DMs from abusing their power?

Again thank you very much for your time.

Aribeth

PS I just perused the Avlis forum board... there is alot of information posted... wow
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Look at Article 6 of the CoPaP Articles. DM's that play is what we consider an "internal matter". This means that it is up to the leader of the PW that you are playing on, not CoPaP as a whole. So some of the worlds may have rules like that and some will not. I can speak for Avlis and tell you that your unforutnate incident has never occurred there. The DM's often retire their main characters, though the ones that don't never abused it, and if they did, they'd have me to deal with, which they know is not a good spot to be in, because they wouldn't remain a DM very long.

I have heard of certain other worlds that shall not be named which have allowed DM's to bring in all kinds of special items for their personal characters, and the world leader did nothing about it. That is considered cheating on CoPaP, and a DM can get kicked for it. It falls under rule #5... common sense.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Pitched Black
World Leader: Hala

Post by Pitched Black »

I've got a few DMs that prefer using higher lvl PCs to run DM events instead of the DM-client. They do this for very long quests where people not knowing a DM's running it might be an advantage or just to keep a kind of consistency going. In some of the major DM-ed events, there have been DMs logged in anonymously as players to make sure things get done right.

Besides, if you have a DM on your team that wants to cheat, just stopping them from playing their old characters won't stop them.