PRC: Stratovarius, Bleeding Edge and the rest of the gang

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!

PRC: Stratovarius, Bleeding Edge and the rest of the gang

Post by Guest »

We have already been debating this on the Abyss404 forums, but I would like to see what everyone in COPAP thinks.

If you were not aware, the PRC team has been developing a PRC pack. This pack strictly follows the guidlines of PnP as much as possible due to the restrictions of NWN. This pack also includes new feats and spells. Some spells have been changed to better fit PnP guidelines. An example of one of the feats included is multiple arrows. This is a feat where an archer has the ablity to shout many arrows from the bow at once. There are over 130 new spells and over 20 new PrCs.

In light of this well balanced packs there are some issues. The demilich is extremely powerful. Heck even the lich is. Now, liches are extremely hard to gain lvls in, but they are definetely overpowerd and on some worlds it may not even make sense roleplaying a lich. So this is where the PrC pack gives you the option to restrict classes. So all PrCs that are not fit for COPAP could be thrown away.

There are many benefits. Right now the spell caster PrCs are lacking. The pack adds favorites like the Archmage and the Mystic Theurge. The Archmage is a much welcome addition because of the hardcore rules used on COPAP's servers. They get a feat which allows them to put holes in spells so they do not hurt teammates. There are obviously still yet more spellcaster classes among the 20. They have also modified the shifter to fit PnP guidelines. The Shifter is much more improved and can shift into many more things. It looks like the PrC team is devoted to PnP guidelines as much as you guys are. Hopefully maybe in the future you could see adding them. The new spells would definetely be welcome.

Things to think about. This would require .hak for every server. And, if these servers did not follow the guidelines set in the NWN community thread on .tlks and the like. Then it would mean compatiblity issues as well, among any unforeseen ones.

The postive point of view. We could see much more diversity among players. People would be able to hone in their RP to a specific class rather than being some PrC they just picked because it will make their char more powerful but really wasn't what would have been best for RP. If they would have more choices they could have developed the character into what they wanted it to be, rather than the only PrC there for their char. Aslo we would see more spells. Now there would be a much greater divide in the schools. People specializing in a certain school could now pick more spells from that school and also we would see the improvement current special using PnP guidelines.

The negative point of view. Powergaming could increase substantially. DMs would have to be stricter. People who do not develop their characters into the PrC requested do not get that PrC. If they fabricate RP just to become a certain PrC the DMs have to recognize this and just say no. Compatibility issues could be a huge problem, or could not even be substantial. This would have to be determined. Also PrC's seen as too powerful would have to be reserved only for those up to the challenge or those the DMs saw as great RPers. Or they could be restricted all together.

Hopefully this gets us started somewhere on discussing this topic. I dont know how open COPAP is to this idea. Your thoughts, comments, and concerns will be appreciated.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

We haven't weighed the pro's and con's ourselves yet. I'm not sure I like the way they do the spellcasting PrC's. Not only that, but we're still busily making quests for our PrC's that we already have and we won't finish that for some time. At the very least, CoPaP's take on this is that it's not something we want to deal with just yet, for good or ill.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Eleazar
Noobie

Post by Eleazar »

Agreed on that point of view. I didn't look at it from a DM's standpoint of the quests. This would especially hard for certain worlds that are still small and don't have a diverse world to host quests yet. I understand right now there isn't any time for it. Everyone is thinking about the CEP and implementing that into their servers. I just wanted to get everyones opinions and be able to look at this post when this subject arises in the future. It has already been discussed on our server but I realized it really wasn't the best place for the discussion. This is really an idea involving COPAP and not Abyss404 alone.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

One thing about CoPaP is you cannot implement a class on one world without implementing it on every world. If one world has a certain PrC, and you try to portal to a world that does not have that PrC, it won't work. So you cannot add a class to your world unless all CoPaP servers do the same thing. It's just one of those things.

It's talked about in the articles too.

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Red Golem
World Leader: Abyss404

Re: PRC: Stratovarius, Bleeding Edge and the rest of the gan

Post by Red Golem »

Anonymous wrote:We have already been debating this on the Abyss404 forums, but I would like to see what everyone in COPAP thinks.
Just to clarify, Abyss 404 does not currently endorse or recommend the PrC Consortium pack at present, and this has been stated quite clearly, and quite simply on the Abyss 404 forums.
[url=http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=6231]Autobic Guild[/url]
Nob
Spelljammer

Post by Nob »

Wouldn't a primary problem with this be the fact that the PrC Consortium Pack uses the creature skins part to add feats?(At least this is what seemed to be the case when I was playing around with it and certain PrC's like the Tempest offline.)

That sounds like it'd clash pretty openly with our custom race system.
Serpentax
Groundling

Post by Serpentax »

i must agree with RG, the PrC pack is a powergamers dream...

if it was ever used (and i really think it should not be) all the classes need to be locked so without Dm action players cannot pick them...

they are just too good in the hands of anyone thats not a 100% "in it for the rp" player..
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

From what I know, we aren't even close to considering thinking about considering contemplating this pack.

:wink:

Serpentax
Groundling

Post by Serpentax »

and we're NOT debating it on the 404 site..

the issue was opened and rejected months ago..
Cromwell
World Leader - LoT: Thay

Post by Cromwell »

I have been working on three prestige classes which are a MUST for my world. Not any of them are really overly powerful, and i will be careful to balance them before i bring them up for discussion and testing between CoPaP. All of these classes will require questing regardless, and will not be too easy to get.
[color=red]"How wonderfully mad of you!"[/color]