Hmmm....

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Maska
World Leader: Fairhaven

Hmmm....

Post by Maska »

http://www.ferrago.com/story/3393

Gads i hope it's a late April Fools joke.... :?

I realize it's sorta old news... but apparently the rumors are heating up again ....
[color=red][size=150][b]Maska[/size][/color][/b]
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Man, you thought the bugs were numerous NOW. Gee, I can't wait to see how they break future releases. :roll:

Honestly I don't think this will effect us. NWN is a dead game. If there is a NWN2, it won't be something we can use because it won't have a toolset. If there is a NWN x-box game, it probably also won't be something we can use because they'll never make it so x-box people can play on our servers (though it'd be nice). And finally, there won't be any future official expansion packs for NWN, so what we've got is what we've got. From the way it looks to me, Bioware is putting on the final few patches to the game, and that'll be it. I bet.

The digital distribution thing will be something to see, but even if that happens, I don't think Microsoft would fuck it up much. But since it's never been done before, we'll never know.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Arcsylver
Groundling

Post by Arcsylver »

Check the Bioware boards, they locked the thread about this in two posts with no explaination.
PlasmaJohn
Planewalker

Post by PlasmaJohn »

Arcsylver wrote:Check the Bioware boards, they locked the thread about this in two posts with no explaination.
Search on "ferrago", they've locked four threads :) I've been fomenting the one in the Linux forum -- let's just say I've got a vested interest :twisted: .

The "this is a stupid rumor thread" is http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.htm ... 2&forum=22 in Off Topic. As a counter rumor, somebody said that Infogrames was sold two weeks ago.

heh. hehehe Hahahahahahahahah. BWAHAHAHAHA!

*whee*
*whoo*

Ahem.

John
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

You got stock in Microsoft or somethin'?
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

When these rumors went on a few months ago, BioWare explicitly explained that it wasn't happening.
That could be one explanation for BioWare locking the threads.

As for other forums... no idea.

I currently hold BioWare and its management in pretty high regard...
If it really does get sold, you wont see my money going that way.
I think I can "live off" of NWN for some time to come. It works as my RPG fix, and I don't see very many Microsoft made FPS's come across my computer.

-Themicles
PlasmaJohn
Planewalker

Post by PlasmaJohn »

Orleron wrote:You got stock in Microsoft or somethin'?
The straight answer: Not by choice, but I'm sure that one or more of the mutual funds and the index funds in my various 401k's do. Stupid investment, it's been flat since the DoJ case started. Anyway...

(I had to think a bit how you got that impression...)

No, Microsoft ownership of Bioware would directly affect my ability to maintain the Linux NWNX2 port. Technically both our efforts is a violation of the EULA, but since it's such a huge value add, Bio lets it slide. I doubt that MS's VisualLawWraiths would be so accomodating at least with the Linux version anyway.

Thankfully, this just seems to be either lazy or malicious reporting on the reporters' parts. I've not found the vast Internet discussion intimated by that article anywhere except for the annual efforts of these guys to generate subscriptions.

Read the thread I linked. There's a good explantion there why Bioware would not make such an agreement. Basically, as a privately owned company, MS has no leverage to buy out Bioware.

John

Besides, they're being bought by Starbucks :twisted:
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

PlasmaJohn wrote:Besides, they're being bought by Starbucks :twisted:
I read the same thing...
Although, I think its more likely that they spent so much money there, that they practically own Starbucks. :)

-Themicles
Rathaen
World Leader: Stormsea Rising

Post by Rathaen »

Heck yes... if they own Starbucks, I'm moving to Richmond!
-----
"Rathaen ni-Tethrain" and/or "Eilysian ab-Pharaki"
from "Stormsea Rising"
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

On a more serious note:

Does anyone here even remember where BioWare came from?
Do you really think that they fought a legal battle with Interplay just to sell out to Microsoft?
I certainly don't.

-Themicles