A helpfull idea

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Zombie
Planewalker

A helpfull idea

Post by Zombie »

I was thinking that it would be a nice idea to place an ooc marker at server links with the password of the server you are on. That way if you are exploring and wander into a server portal/transition that sends you to a new server you will know what server you are on and the password of the server so that you can log off if you need to.

This has happened to me personaly a few times while poking around and I have been lucky enough that there wassomeone else online who was willing to let me knoe the password for the server, or else I would not have been able to log back in and would have had to 'server hop'.

I know a few worlds have such markers in their chracter creation zone, where new characters go, but no such marker at transition points.
p0m
Planewalker

Post by p0m »

The only problem with this is that you should have these passwords if you're playing on _ANY_ CoPaP world, and it's against the rules of pretty much every server on CoPaP to give out the passwords to anyone who hasn't put in an application.

I don't think this is a good idea, considering the way things are set up.
Zebranky
Ambassador: The Grey Wastes

Post by Zebranky »

1) Worlds can make their own rules regarding how they want to handle applications, and, by extension, giving out passwords.

2) If someone is in game, they should already have at least one password, and if someone has deleted that email but portals to a server, they're SOL for a little while unless the passwords are there.

Seems like a decent idea to me.
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

Hala won't be posting any signs at portals to other worlds, the reason for this is that the portals to those worlds are randomized (right now it's done manually when we get a chance to)

The idea behind the staircase is that you come into the staircase, and you may be intending to go to Ysgard, take a wrong turn, and end up in Arkaz. It's set up that way to give each world a chance to get some coverage, as well as to make the staircase more interesting and to follow along with the fact that it's a planar rift.

That being the case, I'm not willing to give any OOC information that will immediately tell someone where they are going.

As for the passwords, 90% of the time you can hit a DM up on a DM channel or in IRC, explain the situation, and they'll give you the Password you are looking for.
Zebranky
Ambassador: The Grey Wastes

Post by Zebranky »

Arkonswrath wrote:As for the passwords, 90% of the time you can hit a DM up on a DM channel or in IRC, explain the situation, and they'll give you the Password you are looking for.
Depends on the world. If it's an Avlis DM, they'd be banned for doing that. If it's me, I'll just ask them for any other CoPaP password to make sure they have some access. I think the suggestion is more to deal with the former case.
Zombie
Planewalker

Post by Zombie »

I didn't mean tell people where they are going before they get there, but to tell them where they are once they get there.

Im not worried about ending up on a strange server, I would just like to know which server it is and the password so that I can log back into it.

I had this problem when I first portaled from Hades to Tarris. I had no idea what server I was on or how to log back into it. Luckly there was someone else online who was willing to tell me where I was and the password, which was good as it was close to my bed time. If they hadn't been on I would have had to server hop back to Hades if I wanted to keep playing after bed time.
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

I'd be in favor of standardizing the idea of putting the passwords in journal entries that the server gives when you join. I believe Hala did this, or does this... It's been a long time since I've last actively played.

I wouldn't be in favor of signs in the game world, though. That feels far too OOC to me.
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
Final Shinryuu
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Post by Final Shinryuu »

I also like the journal entry idea. We'll implement it on Hades.
No, Hala does not do this. Abyss 404 did.