General request about CoPaP crafting

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
loppy66
Clueless Prime

General request about CoPaP crafting

Post by loppy66 »

I am not really sure, if it would be theoretically possible for one char being able to craft on maybe some 2 or 3 CoPaP worlds? Are there any systems which interfere with eachother or does every CoPaP world have its own crafting system and one cannot mess up these crafting xp with doing something on another plane?

Thanks in adavance for any information.

loppy
terryrayc
World Leader: Arkaz

Post by terryrayc »

some do some don't

For example Arkaz uses the Avlis Crafting System along with Avlis and the portal system will send your crafting XP with you when you portal so you should show up of Arkaz with all of your Avlis crafting XP and the same should work the other way.

However I'm not sure if anyone else is using the acs, besides Avlis and Arkaz.

If the world is using a different system then you'll start fresh there.
Visit the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com/wiki]Wiki[/url]
Or the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com]Website[/url]
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

terryrayc wrote:some do some don't

For example Arkaz uses the Avlis Crafting System along with Avlis and the portal system will send your crafting XP with you when you portal so you should show up of Arkaz with all of your Avlis crafting XP and the same should work the other way.

However I'm not sure if anyone else is using the acs, besides Avlis and Arkaz.

If the world is using a different system then you'll start fresh there.
Tairis uses it as well...

But for now, your crafting XP will not follow you until Avlis re-enables it on their end...
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
Zebranky
Ambassador: The Grey Wastes

Post by Zebranky »

To add to the specifics, Hades uses a different system. There will be no problems with your Avlis system XP if you come to Hades, but it won't affect our equipment at all, and vice versa.
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

Hala also uses a different system but your Avlis crafting XP should transfer from Hala to another world if it comes over with you from Avlis as it should.
Psye Shaar
Planewalker

Post by Psye Shaar »

The Avlis crafting remains, but any gained on Hala before the switch to the new system doesn't transfer back again.
loppy66
Clueless Prime

Post by loppy66 »

:D Thanks for all the replies!

I try to sum up now if I understood all right:

Arkaz and Avlis are using the same crafting system and equally where one char does something the progress will follow within these two worlds.

Avlis and Tairis are also using the same crafting system however any progress in Tairis or Avlis won't follow the character. So this means a no go for crafting in Tairis and Avlis for one character.

Hades uses an own system, which won't affect any other system, and as I understood now any progress on Hades will stay if you travel through CoPaP. Of course won't be visible on any other world than Hades.

Hala uses and own sytem as well, however if you made progress in it and you travel to other CoPaP worlds and return to Hala progess will be gone.

I hope I understood now :D.
Psye Shaar
Planewalker

Post by Psye Shaar »

loppy66 wrote:Hala uses and own sytem as well, however if you made progress in it and you travel to other CoPaP worlds and return to Hala progess will be gone.
Almost... what I meant was that before Hala changed to it's current system, it was using the same one as Avlis, Tairis and Arkaz, but any crafting experience gained on Hala back then, wouldn't carry across to Avlis or I presume, Arkaz.

Hala's current crafting system is completely stand alone, so any experience gained in it will remain the same, regardless of how many times you move offworld.

Hope that helps :)
loppy66
Clueless Prime

Post by loppy66 »

Oh wow cool, so Hades and Hala have both different single standing versions of the crafting system!

Great this means that to come back to my question 1 char could craft without problems on:

Arkaz / Avlis, Hades and Hala within 3 different systems. Transfer of the xp progress is given equally how often you are moving around.

Just the issue between Tairis and Avlis / Arkaz has to be fixed then.

8-) and thanks!
terror2001
Ambassador: Greyhawk West

Post by terror2001 »

I believe what was meant was each of the three systems were independant of each other. Crafting XP gained in one is separate from Crafting XP gained in another. If you're a level 5 tailor on Avlis and you travel to Hala, you're a level 0, or 1 (whatever the starting level is), tailor on Hala, but still a level 5 tailor if you go back to Avlis. If you gain Crafting XP on Hala and become a level 3 tailor and go back to Avlis, you're still a level 5 tailor on Avlis, and a level 3 tailor on Hala.

The Crafting XP for the three systems are not interchangable or cumulative. Each system is independant of the others. But what it does mean is that your progressions with each system are stored on your character and travel with you when you plane-walk, with the exception of Tairis at the moment.

That is my understanding of it. However I can be wrong a lot. :)
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

That is correct Terror
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Unless I'm reading that wrong, no that is not correct.

Right now, Avlis is not reading, OR sending crafting XP. Tairis is doing both.

This means that crafting XP gained on Avlis, which *should* transfer to Arkaz eventually, isn't.

BUT

Crafting XP gained on Tairis *should* be able to get all the way to Arkaz on your character if you can find your way there, and vice versa. This is unless the worlds in between are clearing hide variables, which they shouldn't be.

So, Avlis, Tairis, and Arkaz are running ACS and should be able to all three share crafting XP once Avlis turns the code back on.

So, Tairis isn't the exception, Avlis is. :wink:
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
loppy66
Clueless Prime

Post by loppy66 »

Ah alright! *smiles*

Thanks Themicles!

So does Avlis plan to send and read crafting xp? The portal Avlis-Tairis, is really long up now...
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

loppy66 wrote:Ah alright! *smiles*

Thanks Themicles!

So does Avlis plan to send and read crafting xp? The portal Avlis-Tairis, is really long up now...
It did in the past, but while Tairis was running the last version of ARS, Avlis did a major rewrite and changed the name to ACS. This rewrite plugged a lot of holes that allowed players to exploit OOC circumstances to gain XP faster than many... Such as AFK chopping trees that last for freakin' ever... :lol:

Avlis had not released the code, and Tairis lagged behind. For a while, crafting XP continued to be shared between Avlis and Tairis, but then a problem happened. Avlis changed the way XP was stored and retrieved, moving to a cached system. The transfer code didn't know what to do with this, and was overwriting people's crafting XP in any number of strange ways...

A fix was made at the time, but we talked it over and made the decision to disable it between our two worlds until Tairis was caught up. Well, now Tairis is caught up, and the code is enabled on our end. But Avlis has had a few changes that have slowed things a bit while everyone adjusts to them.

So, it will get turned back on over at Avlis, but I really don't have an ETA on when.
loppy66
Clueless Prime

Post by loppy66 »

Such as AFK chopping trees that last for freakin' ever...
:lol: :shock: :lol:

well i see! we shall be patient!
Horred the Plague
Noobie

Post by Horred the Plague »

Just to add my observations: my crafting xp from tairis did not transfer over to arkaz, either.
In incandescant rooms the walls entomb
The six-walled shadows bait like lion's jaws
The eyes that pierce the void reflect the gloom
Of blinded martyrs, groping for a cause
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Horred the Plague wrote:Just to add my observations: my crafting xp from tairis did not transfer over to arkaz, either.
The more I think about it, the more I think that unless a world specifically disables certain things, it'll get cleared just by visiting any world, whether they run Avlis' crafting or not...

I'll look into the issue and see if I can get a more robust system set up without it taking a whole lot of code, or effort on the part of those installing the update. :wink:
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Updated info:

If any world that DOES NOT run ACS or ARS is executing

Code: Select all

TransferCraftingXPToDB(oPC);
in their module's On Client Enter script, then this will break crafting XP sharing being able to pass through worlds that don't use the same system.

Why? Because executing that line will try to transfer the XP from the hide to the database no matter what system you're running. After it runs the code to transfer it, it then deletes each variable, with the assumption that next time you portal, it'll just retrieve that XP again when you leave.

In the case of Horred's trip above, there is one world in between that isn't running ACS or ARS, and one world that currently has the above line of code commented out.

The world with the line commented out should be leaving the crafting XP on the hide in place.

The world not running ACS or ARS needs to make sure to comment out or delete just the line

Code: Select all

TransferCraftingXPToDB(oPC);
from their On Client Enter script if the line exists.

Another thing that will break the system from surviving multiple world portals is if a world is not running the proper hide system. If the hide system is not set up properly, then the hide might actually be getting removed entirely from the character when they pass through. I think BioWare's stock ELC and/or stock ILR will also remove hides if turned on. Turning either of those on is not necessary as CoPaP provides an ILR system, and an ELC system. BioWare's ELC causes problems with custom races anyway.
Psye Shaar
Planewalker

Post by Psye Shaar »

If a permanent and likely to be implemented fix is found, could people be notified OOC'ly beforehand so that they can get their PC's to the world where their crafting level is at it's highest before it's done?

The reason I ask this is that my PC will lose somewhere in the region of a couple of hundred thousand crafting exp across the skills, which could be prevented if he's just on the right world at the right time. That's a lot of wasted hours that personally, I really don't wish to have to lose again.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Psye Shaar wrote:If a permanent and likely to be implemented fix is found, could people be notified OOC'ly beforehand so that they can get their PC's to the world where their crafting level is at it's highest before it's done?

The reason I ask this is that my PC will lose somewhere in the region of a couple of hundred thousand crafting exp across the skills, which could be prevented if he's just on the right world at the right time. That's a lot of wasted hours that personally, I really don't wish to have to lose again.
The system already, as it sits now, takes that into account.

Your crafting XP does not get overwritten if the XP being transferred is lower than what's recorded in the database. No worries.
Psye Shaar
Planewalker

Post by Psye Shaar »

Thanks for the fast reply :)
Drysh
Planewalker

Post by Drysh »

@Themicles: Couldn't the TransferCraftingXPtoDB() be changed to stop deleting the hide variable? Maybe that does the trick.

Avlis: How is your part of this? Are you sending craft XP when portaling?

Please, let us have the same XP everywhere. Some people can't stay on the same plane for too long..
Cheers.

Post by Zebranky »

Drysh wrote:@Themicles: Couldn't the TransferCraftingXPtoDB() be changed to stop deleting the hide variable? Maybe that does the trick.
You seem to be missing the point: commenting that line and changing TransferCraftingXPtoDB() both require worlds to change something. It works fine IF worlds comment that line when they're supposed to.
Drysh wrote:Please, let us have the same XP everywhere. Some people can't stay on the same plane for too long..
That's not going to happen, because a number of worlds have completely different systems, in terms of code, recipes, skills, XP advancement... reconciling them is all but impossible. You'll just have to work hard on every world. ;)
terryrayc
World Leader: Arkaz

Post by terryrayc »

yes, however it would seem Avlis isn't going to move fast on this one. So I'm sorry to say you'll just have to wait for them to get around to it.
Visit the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com/wiki]Wiki[/url]
Or the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com]Website[/url]