What does "linked" mean?

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Alporik
Noobie

What does "linked" mean?

Post by Alporik »

Confederation? or Confederations?

I understand that all portals are "Find Out In Game" and I know I am not aware of them all, but from various In Game conversations my characters are having it would appear that not all worlds that are linked are linked to all the other worlds, even indirectly. In other words, all of the "linked worlds" have at least one link, but that does not mean that you can get from any one world to any other world. Instead, there are two (maybe more?) groups of worlds that are intragroup linked, but not intergroup linked.

Don't want to know any restricted information about portals, but am interested in whether CoPaP is currently one linked up Confederation or several Confederations that are not interlinked. Thanks!
Final Shinryuu
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Post by Final Shinryuu »

There are currently three separate groups of linked worlds.
Plans are in the working, and swiftly moving along, to finish relinking everyone. So just hold tight. ;)
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

There have been test links, and "troubleshooting links" between Tairis and a couple of the other pockets.

As for final, player useable links. The future is uncertain as far as more links to Tairis. There have been plans here and there. But that's all I'm willing to say on the subject at this time.
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
Alporik
Noobie

Post by Alporik »

If the confederation v. confederations situation changes, will that be public knowledge? Just want to reiterate that I don't want any restricted, FOIG information, but I do have characters with potential reasons for planeswalking and it would be nice to know whether IG exploration and conversation could result in successful planeswalking. Thanks.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Portal openings are up to the involved worlds on whether or not they announce it.

In many case, I'd suspect it wont be announced due to the rampant metagaming that tends to ensue.

All I'll say on the situation right now is that more player useable portals are in the works.

Want to know about them? Find out in character, in the game. :wink:
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

My recommendation would be to be constantly on the lookout for server portals if your character is the type that knows they exist and would have a reason for looking for them.

Whether they are currently in game or not, you never know when you might stumble onto a shift in the temporal fabric of time and space and find a portal where one previously was not :)

*Disclaimer* This does not mean that you go around on a world asking about another world for which your character should have no reasonable IC way of knowing that that other world exists. Doing so has a tendancy to irritate DMs and cause bad things to happen.
Alporik
Noobie

Post by Alporik »

With Avlis having gone to 1.67, my character tried to portal from Avlis to another one of the Copap worlds. I was told that the portal failed, there were 5 retries, some message about my bic not tranferring and then it stopped with my character still in Avlis. I logged off to check this website for any messages regarding portals and did not find any. I tried to log back on to the same Avlis server, was dominated, and told that I should be on the world to which I had tried to portal. This seems strange because the portal said it did not work. Is my character trapped in Limbo? (Not an unexpected risk for those foolish enough to try planeswalking.) I tried logging into the world to which I had tried to portal (I assume I should not say which one) and my character was not listed.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

CoPaP takes a little effort from the players as well.

Because Avlis had not updated to 1.67, I was forced to disable the portal from the Tairis side. The effort this takes from the player's part is checking to see if such things have been re-enabled.

The other reason this has happened, though, is that it's very likely that Avlis is not running the latest Vaultster DLL and/or portal code. The code that would've caused what you described is only supposed to fire upon a successful portal connection.
Alporik
Noobie

Post by Alporik »

Themicles wrote:CoPaP takes a little effort from the players as well.

Because Avlis had not updated to 1.67, I was forced to disable the portal from the Tairis side. The effort this takes from the player's part is checking to see if such things have been re-enabled.

The other reason this has happened, though, is that it's very likely that Avlis is not running the latest Vaultster DLL and/or portal code. The code that would've caused what you described is only supposed to fire upon a successful portal connection.
Quite willing to expend some effort as a player. Um, how do I know whether something has been re-enabled when it is FOIG whether it exists at all? I would think that from a player's point of view the only way to check is for a character to try. Is there somewhere on the COPAP website that lists enabled portals? That would seem to defeat the FOIG nature of the portals. I am very willing to do my part as a player, just need to know where to look to do it.

BTW, anyone know the answer to the Limbo question? I am interested in whether I will be able to play that character again on any COPAP world. Thanks in advance for any advice on this issue.
Alporik
Noobie

Post by Alporik »

Answered my own question regarding Limbo. Avlis let the character out in Elysia, while still complaining that she ought to be in the other COPAP world. I will do more research before trying to planeswalk again.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

CoPaP worlds tend to have their own websites. Like http://www.tairisnadur.com for instance.
Alporik
Noobie

Post by Alporik »

Themicles wrote:CoPaP worlds tend to have their own websites. Like http://www.tairisnadur.com for instance.
Fair enough. Since Avlis never posts anything about portals as far as I have seen, I did not think that other websites would do so. Now I know better. Thanks for the feedback. Based on your earlier comments about Vaultster DLL and/or portal code, my character may still end up in Limbo even with the portal enabled from the other side, but thems the risks of Planeswalking (or attempting to do so).
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Once Avlis' Vaultster update is live, and all the kinks worked out, the Avlis -> Tairis portal should work fine again. The Tairis -> Avlis portal is working fine, though.
Alporik
Noobie

Post by Alporik »

Themicles wrote:Once Avlis' Vaultster update is live, and all the kinks worked out, the Avlis -> Tairis portal should work fine again. The Tairis -> Avlis portal is working fine, though.
Tried it again and the result was close to the same. This time, however, the log actually claimed that portalling was occurring and then the log on screen for Tairis came up. It never finished. I left it going for five minutes or so, because my router was showing some packets being exchanged. I eventually cancelled and tried to log on to Tairis directly. Unsurprisingly, the character was not there. When I tried to log on to Elysia the result was the same as the last time - it dominated and rejected me after telling me I was supposed to be on the twin cities. Luckily, I had timed it so that an hour break was no problem. :) I will keep trying every once in a while. The Tairis website says that you should not start characters there, so I figure the only way to explore is to portal successfully.
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

The problems have finally been worked out, and the portal should be safe to use.
Alporik
Noobie

Post by Alporik »

Themicles wrote:The problems have finally been worked out, and the portal should be safe to use.
So far it seems to be. Thanks. :D