Will CoPaP become a NWN2 Project?

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Fessuy
Noobie

Will CoPaP become a NWN2 Project?

Post by Fessuy »

That is about it!
8)
Will CoPaP start a NWN2 project somehow?
:?:
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

The magic 8 ball says:
The future is uncertain.
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
Final Shinryuu
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Post by Final Shinryuu »

Several CoPaP worlds have already made plans to move to NWN2 versions.
Nobody has decided yet if they want to take a crack at regrouping like this again.
terror2001
Ambassador: Greyhawk West

Post by terror2001 »

I can say it's one of Greyhawk's goals. And we'd be open to linking when the NWN2 version comes out.
Terror2001

[quote="Aeveras"]Yeah, my favourite DM is [spoiler] and [FOIG]![/quote]
Fessuy
Noobie

Post by Fessuy »

Of course the million-dollar question is, will it even be possible?

I guess all is possible with the right kind of people working X amount of days non-stop on it :lol:

I am personally all for it but I will go along with whatever our gracious leaders think is better for us, especially since it is them who do most of the work to make our little universe run properly!
:roll:
Alphonse
Groundling

Post by Alphonse »

A CoPaP 2 needs a strong leadership if it was to happen, with whoever was leading it having the power to kick out worlds who cause problems
Mabus
Planewalker

Post by Mabus »

So are NWN and NWN2 going to be able to intermix worlds? If so, I'll be very sad because I know my comp won't be able to handle NWN2...most likely. With a 933mhz processor it can just barely run NWN1. :P

Not to mention I'm building a world which was a goal to become a CoPaP world (although I need a team).
"In the end all things betray you. Honor. Ideals. Heroism. Allies. Comrades. Lovers. Your eyes. Your limbs. Your heart. And in the end, you betray yourself. And that is the greatest betrayal of all.\"

~Lament of the cambion Zaxarus, hero of the Blood War
Zebranky
Ambassador: The Grey Wastes

Post by Zebranky »

Mabus wrote:So are NWN and NWN2 going to be able to intermix worlds?
No, not really. NWN2 is more than a graphics upgrade to NWN. While the scripting language and some of the file formats will be compatible (or at least importable one-way into NWN2), they will be different games. NWN1 clients will not be able to connect to NWN2 servers, or vice versa.
Mabus
Planewalker

Post by Mabus »

Well as long as the NWN1 CoPaP is always up, I'll be happy. :)
"In the end all things betray you. Honor. Ideals. Heroism. Allies. Comrades. Lovers. Your eyes. Your limbs. Your heart. And in the end, you betray yourself. And that is the greatest betrayal of all.\"

~Lament of the cambion Zaxarus, hero of the Blood War
terryrayc
World Leader: Arkaz

Post by terryrayc »

good news is that most of our scripts will port..and nwnx support is being worked in with both pap and the developers so we'll have good DB support...so yes CoPaP2 can happen, just depends on if enough people are interested.
Visit the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com/wiki]Wiki[/url]
Or the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com]Website[/url]
Xeo Bodacea
Planar Sage

Post by Xeo Bodacea »

With some re-organisation it could work. The level of standards at a good level has been high since the early days of choas, where PW's set-ups where seriously damaging other PW's systems. Gold, Items, lvl's etc etc.......

I'm currently have a small team working on a PW on paper ((Well a forum)). If CoPaP was set-up around NWN2..... Then I would be interested to see if the current rule book or standards for PW's could be refreshed. Its a great oppertunity to restart again. Because it seems most of all the CoPaP PW's are going NWN2.
Silk wrote:
I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
jaythespacehound
Groundling

Post by jaythespacehound »

I'd be up for it...
I'm looking forward to nwn2 for reasons I'm not exactly sure about ;)
terror2001

Post by terror2001 »

One of the big questions is, will Avlis2 be a CoPaP(2) member (i.e. link with other worlds), or are they going to run their own thing outside of CoPaP? I don't see anyone from Avlis participated in this discussion as yet.
Terror2001

[quote="Aeveras"]Yeah, my favourite DM is [spoiler] and [FOIG]![/quote]
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

I know that I have had discussions with my team as well as with a few others from other worlds who have shown interest in a CoPaP 2 in NWN 2 and I can say that, providing the coding and systems are in place to do it, I'm planning on going for it. If CoPaP itself wants it to go by a different name, then that's cool.

I'm just throwing it out there that we do plan on making a NWN 2 world in the Hala team and we are planning on linking so long as it's possible. Any world that is interested in doing so is more than welcome. I have thought about making a seperate forum on the Hala boards as well as asking Themi to make a thread here that could be used by the worlds who are interested in order to come up with some good ground rules and such. We'll see what happens. I'd like to hear more from other worlds whether they seriously want to try this or not.
Xeo Bodacea
Planar Sage

Post by Xeo Bodacea »

Arkonswrath wrote:I know that I have had discussions with my team as well as with a few others from other worlds who have shown interest in a CoPaP 2 in NWN 2 and I can say that, providing the coding and systems are in place to do it, I'm planning on going for it. If CoPaP itself wants it to go by a different name, then that's cool.

I'm just throwing it out there that we do plan on making a NWN 2 world in the Hala team and we are planning on linking so long as it's possible. Any world that is interested in doing so is more than welcome. I have thought about making a seperate forum on the Hala boards as well as asking Themi to make a thread here that could be used by the worlds who are interested in order to come up with some good ground rules and such. We'll see what happens. I'd like to hear more from other worlds whether they seriously want to try this or not.
I have currently a small team working on a PW for NWN2. I have been interested to see how CoPaP is going to develop or change when NWN2 comes. I'm not sure how one really does apply for memebership and to be honest how much control in policys would one lose in running thier PW? The PW we are working on is way off in toolset production. We have been concentrating on the lore, background and history. Yes we have been discussing in some detail on the game mechanics. We need builders, web monkeys and coders. But to be at stage is still some months off.

I'm interested to see what the other PW's future plans are and 'Linking' with a PW is something that would need to be discussed on our boards first. Weather we work on our own or band together as a few worlds linked or non linked is really the question.

Avlis from what I have seen and I no way in hell speak for them has cut off it's links with the CoPaP PW's by 1 because of past experiences. In a nutshell they got thier fingers burnt IMO.

But as I have seen alot of the PW's left have worked extremely hard in tidying up thier PW's. Mistakes happen but its the end result and the end result today is that there are alot of well run PW's.

If the policys of all the worlds stick with 'one' policy on items, gold and other things then why should'nt the worlds be linked in thoery?

I personly think that if PW's want to link together then good for them and ones that don't want to link together good for them. I think CoPaP can be a collection of worlds linked or non linked, it does'nt have to be one way or the other.

If any worlds out there have an interest in our project please PM me and I be happy to answer any questions or have a chin wag :D.

Xeo
Silk wrote:
I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
terror2001

Post by terror2001 »

Xeo Bodacea wrote:I'm not sure how one really does apply for memebership and to be honest how much control in policys would one lose in running thier PW?
Here is how. :)
viewtopic.php?t=6
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

While I really do not know if there will be a CoPaP in NWN2 (because for one thing, we don't even know if we have the technology to do it, i.e. VaultSTER), I can say that Avlis has no plans at this time to link up in NWN2. It's possible that a link may be decided in the future, but for the most part, we don't plan to organize a CoPaP in NWN2 to start out with. If others organized the CoPaP, that would be their own perogative, sure.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Final Shinryuu

Post by Final Shinryuu »

If one is organized, it would likely be under a different name. =D
I can see it happening, though, although I'm not sure who would participate in it.
Xeo Bodacea
Planar Sage

Post by Xeo Bodacea »

Orleron wrote:While I really do not know if there will be a CoPaP in NWN2 (because for one thing, we don't even know if we have the technology to do it, i.e. VaultSTER), I can say that Avlis has no plans at this time to link up in NWN2. It's possible that a link may be decided in the future, but for the most part, we don't plan to organize a CoPaP in NWN2 to start out with. If others organized the CoPaP, that would be their own perogative, sure.
VaultSTER is a program designed for transfer of data between servers? Basically it aid's in allowing PC's to portal to other servers?

If I've understood this correctly then I can see that if the technology is'nt there to set up the links for PW's if they ever wanted to then planning a CoPaP2 would not be so prudent at the moment.

Though a CoPaP2 of just PW's banding together to share idea's and resources would'nt be such a bad thing. If PW's wanted to link to a PW within the group then they could explore it as Orleron said if the technology is there.

I did'nt know anything about VaultSTER. But it has made things more clearer for myself. Thanks....
Silk wrote:
Final Shinryuu

Post by Final Shinryuu »

I don't think Vaultster will be a worry. I've heard that there's already people planning to make Vaultster for NWN2, and Zebranky has confidently assured me (And I believe him) that he could manage it himself if nobody else does.
Zebranky is a programming genius!
jaythespacehound
Groundling

Post by jaythespacehound »

*gets a coughing fit and turns green*
Of course of course!

Seriously though, with nwnx already being worked on for nwn2, apparently with help from the nwn2 programming team, I see no reason why something like vaultser won't also be easily produced.

Besides the toolset, scripting language, and user interface will also be expanded hugely apparently so it might even be possible to do so from within nwn2... maybe... perhaps.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Xeo Bodacea wrote:Though a CoPaP2 of just PW's banding together to share idea's and resources would'nt be such a bad thing.

Just about every day of the week, someone in the NWN2 community says, "let's make a group of PW's that plays together and shares stuff and makes nice nice".

It's not an original idea. The linking is what's original.

If you want to make a "nice nice" group, I suggest you look around to see what's already out there. There are plenty that are there right now. For one you can head over to the Warcry NWN2 forums where they have the PW Consortium.

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Xeo Bodacea
Planar Sage

Post by Xeo Bodacea »

Orleron wrote:
Xeo Bodacea wrote:Though a CoPaP2 of just PW's banding together to share idea's and resources would'nt be such a bad thing.

Just about every day of the week, someone in the NWN2 community says, "let's make a group of PW's that plays together and shares stuff and makes nice nice".

It's not an original idea. The linking is what's original.

If you want to make a "nice nice" group, I suggest you look around to see what's already out there. There are plenty that are there right now. For one you can head over to the Warcry NWN2 forums where they have the PW Consortium.
What's a "nice nice" group? I'm really not sure what your meaning is but as far as I can see your giving me directions else where on the topic of PW's banding togther when NWN2 is released.

My quotes and thoughts have been purely idea based and positive.

The PW we are slowly developing has not even decided about trying to network with other PW's. It was just a path to explore.

Well I've gotten a good insight, thoughts and discussions on this subject and I wish you luck.

Thank you.
Silk wrote:
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

I'm just making you aware that your idea is not new, and it's been done a hundred times and it generally amounts to nothing. Having "PW's get together and exchange ideas" seems great, but in practical terms it's just an extra forum to keep up with and no real help. I'm telling you this as an experienced PW-maker to an inexperienced one, so maybe you won't waste too much of your time.

As a PW WL, your time needs to go to two (or three) things:

1) Recruiting staff
2) Recruiting players
3) Building or doing stuff on your own world.

Posting on a groovy inter-PW relations forum takes time away from all three of those things, and no one on the inter-PW forum is going to want to work on your world or play on it, because they will all be concerned with their own worlds.

Xeo Bodacea
Planar Sage

Post by Xeo Bodacea »

Orleron wrote:I'm just making you aware that your idea is not new, and it's been done a hundred times and it generally amounts to nothing. Having "PW's get together and exchange ideas" seems great, but in practical terms it's just an extra forum to keep up with and no real help. I'm telling you this as an experienced PW-maker to an inexperienced one, so maybe you won't waste too much of your time.

As a PW WL, your time needs to go to two (or three) things:

1) Recruiting staff
2) Recruiting players
3) Building or doing stuff on your own world.

Posting on a groovy inter-PW relations forum takes time away from all three of those things, and no one on the inter-PW forum is going to want to work on your world or play on it, because they will all be concerned with their own worlds.
Sounds word and good advice...

Number 3 on that list I will need to work on heh.
Thank you Orleron and good luck with Avlis :D
Silk wrote: