Direct x 9c

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Savagej
Noobie

Direct x 9c

Post by Savagej »

Hi recently ( about a month ago) i bought BF2 along with it came the newest version of dirext x 9 c (i believe).. Since installing it ( a must for bf2) NWN crashes at specific times, in specific area's

Travlers..area..new murandith city commons. crashes instantainiously when i exit the gareth temple into the city commons.. when the city is in night mode

Elysia..area.. elysia warfs.. same crash.. exiting out of the inn ( starting point inn i forget the name sorry) but this time only in day mode.

thus locking my computer giving me an error, booting me back to desktop and will not alow me to log back into the said server without crashing again and again, these crashes also lock my cd key for five minutes and won't let me log into any other nwn server untill the cd key clears..

I've read on the avlis forum there are similar crashes happening in the wilds.. kuras and visimontium.. I was just wondering if anyone here knows a fix or has experienced similar effects with dx 9c installing it is when all my crashing ( on transition) from one specific area to another began.. Any advice other than reverting to dx 9 b? so far its only happening in city exterior enviroments ( for me) . Or is dx 9c not the issue and i need another hak update .i've gona as far as a fresh install of nwn and all the latest hak paks all downloaded and installed today.. same issue same crash..

Savagej

P.S. also reinstalled video drivers and the like.. still with the same crashing results..
Sindol
Ambassador: Catara

Post by Sindol »

I've been running DirectX 9.0c for a long time now. Can't remember when exactly, but I must have installed it not long after it came out; I try to keep on top of those updates. I never experience crashes with NWN, unless there's actually some corrupting going on, and not specifically in those areas you describe.

So DX 9.0c is not intrinsically incompatible with NWN. However, I can't rule out that it's having conflicts with your driver software or other installed software on your system. In the time that I had DX 9.0c I've had at least three different video cards installed (all NVidia), including driver updates for each one of them. No weird crashes here.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

Try redownloading your haks from those servers. It's possible that the install of DirectX 9c caused some corruption in your hak folder.
Savagej
Noobie

Post by Savagej »

Yup fresh reinstall of everything, windows, haks, overides, game, vid driver..( newest versions of everything) odly still the same crash in the outdoor city title sets.. my last thought is it's my new vid card got it a week before i got the new version of dx 9c.. but i never logged into never winter during that time soo it's posible the card has ill effects in some area's ( ati's radeon 9550 256 meg card) i'll keep trial and erroring.. the area's are realy unavoidable for me .. I've found a quick fix to get by the crash's but when partied up its a real pain to do..( loggin in a nearly new alt runing them into the area ) for some odd reason the alt dosen't crash right away, which gives me time to log and relog in the main alt and get her out of the area .. thanks for the responses much appreciated :)

Savagej
Starslayer_D
Ambassador: Abyss404

Post by Starslayer_D »

I have a raddeon card as well, and got those crashes too... what I found out was that setting my graphics details to low usually allowed me to log back into the area (I obviously logged in with an alt not mired in a crashy area).

Other areas with same effect: Elysia Borderlands north

I suspect the water effect, but can't proof.
Arkonswrath

Post by Arkonswrath »

Check the ATI website for patches. ATI wasn't built with gaming in mind, even though it's one of the better graphics cards out there... For certain games i know i've had to download patches and updates on the drivers to avoid crashes and such.
Sindol
Ambassador: Catara

Post by Sindol »

I'd search the web, maybe the bioware site and other NWN forums too. ATI cards have a history with incompatibility with certain NWN graphic features. You can of course switch those features all off (turn settings to low), but that'd be a last resort. Chances are that someone somewhere will have encountered the same problem and found a better solution.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Alphonse
Groundling

Post by Alphonse »

same problem for me with a radion 9600.

crashes coming out of buildings in the docks areas of Elysia and Mikona roughly 50% of the time. This is pre 9.0c though
Zebranky
Ambassador: The Grey Wastes

Post by Zebranky »

I have a 9600Pro, and had no problems leaving an Elysia building last night. I'm using Catalyst 5.6 (the latest is 5.11), because 5.7 hung my system within seconds of starting NWN. Try switching back to those and see if it helps.
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

This is why I stopped using ATI years ago. I keep getting told it's gotten better, but then keep seeing discussions like this.

From past experience, I can only echo what Zebranky has said. Try a previous version driver. Just hope you don't have a different game that only works right under the latest driver. *sighs*

If they could straighten out their driver issues, I'd buy another ATI video card. As it stands, I bought an ATI tv-tuner card, and guess what, nothing but driver/software issues for me. heh.

I'm not strictly an nVidia fanboy, though. I have a preference of the ATI chipset in the Xbox 360 over the nVidia chipset in the PS3, but I guess that's mostly because there aren't drivers to worry about, and no one has had a chance to see what the PS3 can *really* do in real time.

Also, look up memtest86+ on Google, burn that to a CD, and boot off it to check your system RAM. The issue could be loading data into RAM, and hitting bad spots on one of the chips.

As for the comments about (re)installing DirectX corrupting hakpaks... Not likely in the least, sorry. DirectX, if anything, only touches drivers (and doesn't really modify or replace them either) when installing.
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
Arkonswrath

Post by Arkonswrath »

I'm running an ATI Raedon 9800 TX and I've had no problems with crashing and such. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.
jaythespacehound
Groundling

Post by jaythespacehound »

In case anyone's still having these issues, it's the shiny water effect.
Turning that off fixes the crashing.
Not sure what the issue is but that's definitely what's happening.