Portal question

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Defender
Noobie

Portal question

Post by Defender »

I have been thinking about this question and whether I should post it or not, but finally decided to say, ta hell with it, and post it... so, here it goes..

Since just before the Outlands server went up, the portals to all the major linked up worlds were destroyed. Avlis to Rockhome, Avlis to Hala are really the only 2 that I knew of.

Either way, I was under the impression (because I heard it somewhere) that when the Outlands server went up, there would be a way to get around to where ever you wanted (or at least pretty much). The Outlands server has been up for a couple/few months now, and to my knowledge, there are NO linked up portals anywhere in Avlis, to get to other lands.

The main reason I bring this up is the fact that there seem to be alot of these worlds that are slowly dwindling away (people loosing interest in them). With the link- ups, people can travel around, see new things, and have a bit more freedom. With no links, even Hala seems to be drying up these days (no offense to the Hala team (wonderful place)).

So, in the long-run, the question comes down to this...

Will there ever be link-ups to any worlds ever again?

If so, will there be some sort of event to allow people to "find" the link?

I know the old, it will be done when it's done thing, but generally, when would something like this be introduced if it was?

Thanks, Defender
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Tairis'nàdur

Post by JollyOrc »

as far as I know, the plot that will establish the Outlands - Avlis link is already running.
bye,
JollyOrc
Groundling

Post by slave.of.emotions »

JollyOrc wrote:as far as I know, the plot that will establish the Outlands - Avlis link is already running.
since a month or two.... but it should not be long anymore *hopefully* i hope evrything will be in place once teleri is back from vacations

As for other links, Hala and Hades are linked already and i read rumours that the link to hades from outlands is running but i am not sure, at last the opening quest should be in preparation. So once Avlis links up, all the links to live worlds should be in place again.
[url=http://www.dynasig.net/?id=2052][img]http://serve.dynasig.net/2052.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/a296/6_loverboy_9/NWN/]screenshots[/url][url=http://slaveofemotions.sl.funpic.de/mx/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=1]and more[/url]
Gairus
Groundling

Post by Gairus »

And tairis'nadur is ~quite~ linked still. ;)
Apandapion
CoPaP: Player Coordinator

Post by Apandapion »

JollyOrc wrote:as far as I know, the plot that will establish the Outlands - Avlis link is already running.
It is my opinion as a player at this point that the decision to have a 'link plot' for the opening and closing of planar gateways, especially weeks or months long link plot, is detrimental to copap as a whole. Why we should have to wait to travel while a select few finish riding a roller-coaster is beyond me. The fun that they have, happens at the expense of ours. Let us not extend unnecessarily what are essentially technical issues by hanging plot requirements off the side of them.

I'd be happy to discuss this matter further with anyone in private messages, but be aware that an ongoing "War Against the Mailbox Ninjas" plot will likely make my pm mailbox inaccessable for the next month or so. I'm sure that you all understand how it is.
Sindol
Ambassador: Catara

Post by Sindol »

For the record: the link plot between Avlis and Outlands has been planned since the previous release of the vaultSTER. That's months ago. It has been delayed for various technical reasons, much to the chagrin of both Outlands and Avlis teams. At this time I'm still waiting on the techsavvy people at Avlis and Outlands to overcome the last hindrances and get the necessary systems installed.

The plot itself has been shortened from a fairly major one to a small one, so it can open faster, but still it's held up right now. I wish I could solve the issues myself, in which case the portal would be up by now, but I can't. Waiting is the only option I have, just like you. For all it's worth: you have my sympathy and I know how you're feeling.

As for having a plot at all: If we draw attention to a new portal, then that's good for the portal activity. So we draw attention to the portal. Of course we choose to do this ICly, rather than OOCly, even though there's often an OOC spoiler of some kind as well.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
SinbadSam
Clueless Prime

Post by SinbadSam »

Some of the technical issues are related to the magic loss of items going from world to world. This involves scripts, as you may know scripts do not work as they were initially programmed. :D

Another issue the the gold conversion scripts, ie 1000 gold on one world gets converted to 500 gold on another world. Note this an extreme example I hope.

All of the these scripts have to work REAL well, or players can have items with the wrong amount of magic loss, and/or massive wrong amounts of gold exchanged.

So give the respective teams the time to get things right. :D
Apandapion
CoPaP: Player Coordinator

Post by Apandapion »

Sindol wrote:For the record: the link plot between Avlis and Outlands has been planned since the previous release of the vaultSTER. That's months ago. It has been delayed for various technical reasons, much to the chagrin of both Outlands and Avlis teams. At this time I'm still waiting on the techsavvy people at Avlis and Outlands to overcome the last hindrances and get the necessary systems installed.
Ah, ok. I am misinformed. Sorry.
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

No Worries no one died in the making of theses posts...

There is at this time only one technical hurdle left and that is getting the code in a usable format to the Avlis team to install ....

Just so everyone is clear I am resposable for getting them that code. (: it was delayed 1st by the 1.66 patching, then 2nd by my vacation which I will return from on the 12th of September... 3-4 days to get myself back in the swing of things, and we shoud be a go.
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
Bigdaddy037
Clueless Prime

Post by Bigdaddy037 »

I look forward to it Teleri.

There are some inhabitants in a cave that are in dire need of a good spanking for the reception they gave us! ;)
Sarmanos
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Post by Sarmanos »

The Gray Waste has a operational and reachable portal to and from Hala and a working portal to Outlands pending a link event and whatever special stuff needed to use the portal.
Talwin Hawkins
Noobie

Post by Talwin Hawkins »

SOOOooOOOoo?
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

I am back from vacation and trying to get the ducks in a row. Relax Measure 3 times cut once.... I hate redoing work.
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
loppy66
Clueless Prime

Post by loppy66 »

Heya,

I am now in my holidays just reading curiously about the old portals from Avlis to the other CoPaP worlds....

I think it is a great deed to try to link more worlds to it... :) so how is the progress so far?

*beams* Cannot wait to let my char travel through the planes as he was too young to travel as the still were open and btw I enjoyed travelling to Tairis it was a great world.

*is most curious about Rockhome, Hala and the Outlands*

*smiles*

Best regards,
loppy66
Snow
Ambassador: Avlis

Post by Snow »

As soon as Outlands is back and the Avlis-Outlands linking plot is done you will be free to travel across the worlds.
loppy66
Clueless Prime

Post by loppy66 »

Sooooo, when will that be done?

...and btw. what happened to Rockhome?

Just curious! :P
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

Links currently exist between Hala and Hades, Hala and Arkaz, Hala and Greyhawk, Hades and Greyhawk, Catara and Abyss, Avlis and Tairis. The links are there, some of them may be fully active, some may not. The ones that aren't, will be soon.

Avlis has taken over the Illithia project and from what I understand it is going along fairly nicely. Hala's staircase project has proven to be very successful as a "World Hub" for connectivity between worlds.

Things are moving forward at a rapid pace and CoPaP is relinking. Look soon for a portal to a new world in your neighborhood. :)

Just remember, all portal knowledge is OOC knowledge until your Character ICly hears about and/or finds them.

Asking someone OOCly through a tell to take you to a portal is Metagaming. Showing someone a portal by using a Newbie Character that shouldn't know where the portal is, is metagaming.

On Hala, we have adopted a policy of punishing metagamers who do this. OOCly metagaming a portal, and getting caught, may warrent a person time in Hala's Vault Jail. I will also coordinate with linked worlds to have the offending person returned to Hala, either by directly sending them back to the portal, or deletion of the bic, if said world is willing and in agreement. Arkaz and Hala have already worked out this agreement.

In lue of that, Game on and Have fun enjoying CoPaP :)

PS. While not official, it seems that Mystara (AKA Rockhome) Is a dead project. I spoke to Ferus not long ago, he knows the world is down and does not seem interested in bringing it back up. Also, at present, Mystara is an unlinked world. The link between Hala and Rockhome has been severed.
loppy66
Clueless Prime

Post by loppy66 »

So Avlis just is linked to Tairis what I know, but why has it be delinked from Hala and Rockhome and those links even if Mystara is dead not replaced through others?

So will there be a new link between Hala and Avlis or just between Illithia and Avlis. What is happening with the planned Avlis - Outlands link?

Just asking like this after my main char would ~love~ to discover worlds a little and has his life on Avlis.
Final Shinryuu
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Post by Final Shinryuu »

More links are on the way. I won't tell you the specifics, but expect Avlis and Tairis to be linked to the main body of other servers again soon.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

teleri is the bottleneck for the Avlis-Outlands link, and I have no clue when he'll be ready, but someday.

The Ithilla server is playable, but it needs one more system to go in before it can be used, and then we have to buy a machine for it, which we will need to raise money for. Shouldn't be a problem.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."