Question on CoPAP Psionics

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Loki70
Planewalker

Post by Loki70 »

Fuzz wrote:Psionics are a core part of Planescape, so PPsionics being available on most of the worlds is a good possibility. It's just gonna take time, and depends on who runs the world. Don't hold your breath since the vast majority of players seem to absolutely hate psionics and think they are overpowered.
It does seem odd that a character that can cast buffs on itself, and kill one person in one shot is somehow vastly overpowered next to characters that can walk through armies in a single round, kill whole villages with one word, and bring down the might of a god on the prime material. Really, really not understanding this thing
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

Post by Arkonswrath »

Fuzz wrote: You could just reinstate the core PrC reqs for the Psion from Nathan's original setup, with the Concentration requirement, as well as Iron Will. Even if you don't change the 2da to reflect that, you can have a Hala-side directive for DMs to require Hala players to meet certain criteria for the PrC.
This is pretty much what we have. We have two people with access to the PrC Manager pm box. Those are currently the only two authorized to give PrCs out so we keep a pretty good track on who gets what PrC on Hala. Requests are generally not refused as long as there is a good IC and RP reason to back them up. I may open Psions up wide in the future, it's still somethign we are bouncing around. If I do open it up, it won't have any requirements on it. As said before, essentially, Psionics on Hala are still in testing. Once it's been proven to me that they are fairly well balanced to the rest of the world (the world, not the other PCs), I will unlock them completely and remove any requirements on them.

My biggest gripe against psions came from one person. When I watch a level 15 character PGing one of the hardest areas of the server (IE against creatures that can usually rip apart a level 30 character of most other classes). That is what led to my opinion that Psions were unbalanced for play on Hala. The latest update calmed enough of my fears that I reinstated the class as a possibility on Hala.
Fuzz
Planewalker

Post by Fuzz »

Keep them as a limited PrC. As you said before, it's a Chaotic plane.
Apandapion
CoPaP: Player Coordinator

Post by Apandapion »

Loki70 wrote:
Fuzz wrote:Psionics are a core part of Planescape, so PPsionics being available on most of the worlds is a good possibility. It's just gonna take time, and depends on who runs the world. Don't hold your breath since the vast majority of players seem to absolutely hate psionics and think they are overpowered.
It does seem odd that a character that can cast buffs on itself, and kill one person in one shot is somehow vastly overpowered next to characters that can walk through armies in a single round, kill whole villages with one word, and bring down the might of a god on the prime material. Really, really not understanding this thing
It's easy.

Let's say I go get Orl drunk and convince him to write me an Avlis PRC that focuses around the conjuration of donuts. (Botch and you get fruit filled donuts. I hate fruit filled donuts.) At PRC level 10 the only ability I have is to summon the best-tasting donuts ever. Orl unlocks the PRC for me. I play it.

I will be accused of playing an overpowered class.

Why?

People fear what they do not understand.

People will see me with a strange PRC name, and then they'll see a casting message that says "Apandapion summons permanent creme-filled donut", and the next thing you know there will be rumors that I can conjure anything, even CoPaP-banned items. I'll barely have time to eat my donuts before the nerf threads start.
Loki70
Planewalker

Post by Loki70 »

Okay, I can understand people fearing the new stuff as overpowered. But seriously, psionics has been around for ages. Some of our player base is younger than the original rules. People are screaming that we ask for something and we get it, which is also not true. There are a dozen powers that I would love to have that aren't in there, and aren't overpowered. Like the psionic form of invisibility (where the creature targeted just ignores you). It's all a matter of perspectives, and the class is a little different than in PnP (no free attack and defense modes, for one thing), but all and all my character is still on par, if not a little behind others of his level.
Apandapion
CoPaP: Player Coordinator

Post by Apandapion »

Loki70 wrote:Okay, I can understand people fearing the new stuff as overpowered. But seriously, psionics has been around for ages. Some of our player base is younger than the original rules. People are screaming that we ask for something and we get it, which is also not true. There are a dozen powers that I would love to have that aren't in there, and aren't overpowered. Like the psionic form of invisibility (where the creature targeted just ignores you). It's all a matter of perspectives, and the class is a little different than in PnP (no free attack and defense modes, for one thing), but all and all my character is still on par, if not a little behind others of his level.
The percentage of D&D players with a good understanding of the 2nd edition psionic rules is going to be pretty low. All of the psionic discussion by and large happens in the private avlis forum. The rules have to be dug up on third party sites and arn't even accurate after copap modifications.

The fact that the third edition psionic rules have a justified reputation for being terrible doesn't help. If you want to understand what a copap psion can do, well, that takes work. Most people prefer to go with thier gut reaction of fear and loathing.
Serpentax
Groundling

Post by Serpentax »

404 has fully working psionics but...

they are treated as a prc class and thus locked, new players cant take levels in them without dm approval (which requires submitted application and dm events to gain the prc)

existing psions coming to 404 will work fine, but we have tweaked various powers to fit our lower magic setting and no ooc list of said tweaks is player readable, its a case of find out ic, like with our custom spell hooks