Abyss404-Avlis Linking question continued

Discuss any general matters related to CoPaP here!
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Abyss404-Avlis Linking question continued

Post by Orleron »

Continued from: http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?p=468574#468574

First of all this is a very subjective question. :) Second of all, any time you have two closed systems (i.e. CoPaP and Abyss404) that suddenly get connected, you WILL get flow between them. Things always flow from highest to lowest concentration. In this case, "things" are going to be gold, items, levels, and custom races. There's no avoiding it and all the problems that may or will pop up are just the fact of CoPaP. We deal with it every day, and rather well I might add. For example, there are plans in the works to someday make exchange rates also between worlds, so your gold will not be of equal value between them. That will curb much of it, but it will take a while to code, ask sozin.

Having said all that, Abyss404 is not going to be Hala or Mystara. We purposely made those worlds easy to get in and out of, just so we can test the concept of CoPaP. Going to Hala is/was about as hard as heading to the grocery store. This will not be the case with Abyss404. If you go to Abyss404, or if you start a character on Abyss404, it may be a looooong time before you are able to get out. It might take a few levels of figuring it out/doing the quests/ or whatever other mechanisms they/we put in. Whatever it is/will be, it's going to be HARD. So in effect, those people going over there with uber items may have the upper hand for a while, but after being there a couple levels and getting their stuff eaten, they may not be so rich when they come back. I'm just exaggerating, but you never know.

As for their punishments and their rules, that's for them to decide. We have no say in that, and CoPaP only suggests certain guidelines. I'll tell you right now that they ARE more strict than Avlis for many things, and people do seem to get banned from there more often. But you can take that in two ways. You can either look at it as a bad thing, or you can abide by their rules and have a lot of fun there. Your choice.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Sarrena
World Leader: Abyss404

Post by Sarrena »

In response, here's the low down:

Gold shielding both ways will be controlled through gold/jink. They will not be interchangable. Abyss is not the next shoping mall. This is as much to shield Avlis from some of our items. Also, our merchents make transings items in for easy money rather irritating for the one doing it. Even once the exchange system comes into play, you'll not be trading it in, real life doesn't work like that, there is no happy guy willing to trade jink for your crappy worthless gold (I suggest it go both ways :) )

In response to the banning thing, about 95% of our ban list is from CoPaP itself :) When it comes to the core of things we've got maybe five true bans that we've done ourselves if a player is too imature or plain out insane requiring medical help.

In response to us being hard asses.. Yeah.. Got us there ;)

The quests to get out of the lost layer will involve foot work yes, and to start will need a DM until automation is complete and tested 100%

In response to the tell thing from the thread prior this, TELLS ARE NOT OUTRIGHT UNALLOWED! They are fine until your start trading ooc info and communication like your a sodding telepath. Wana talk ooc a load, go to the damn afk room we put in that can be accessed at will.
World Leader : Abyss 404
sunsghost
Noobie

Post by sunsghost »

Thank you for moving this topic for me Orleron.
I actually posted on the avlis boards intentionally as i wanted the opinion of avlis players on the matter (having the largest player base, i figured they will travel to the abyss the most) however I can see the bennifits of the topic being brought to copap boards.

I started on the abyss when i first came to copap. I have a lot of respect for the place. I found that my RP skills were not up to par (read:I sucked compared to the other players)so i left for a more forgiving atsmosphere.

My intention wasn't to accuse the abyss404 of being "ban happy" or hardasses.
I am actually in favor of very strict rules and liked the no bullshit DMing found there. I'm really looking forward to the abyss opening up for exploration. I recognize that because of the low magic, low gold, low tollerence atsmosphere, travllers going there need to be mature about what their doing.
For example, me leading the high level, powerfully equipped members of the celestial army into the abyss (While VERY in character) to break things and spill blood without a lot of thought and consideration just wouldnt be cool. (Not that the DMs would let something like that fly but you get my picture, yes?)

I brought the topic up because I as a player who is very interested in visiting, I wanted to hear about what is being done to safe guard the abyss's unique world. Maybe even contribute an idea or two.

I remember a player there asking me if something was a bug. I kept telling him not to use tells and to report it to the board. Every time i would reply via tell a DM would give me the boot.
I really see a lot of players being dinged for that but on the bright side it might prompt people (myself included) to using tells so much :)

A question. If i as a player travel to the abyss, walk around a bit and decide i dont want to go through all the work to find the portal "home", will i be able to just server hop back to where i started?
I have no idea the mechanics behind it but i think it would be very interesting to have a character stuck in the abyss somehow until they find a way out. This might stop tourists and let the abyss keep some of the mystique in being "the abyss"
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

No, you won't be able to server hop back. I believe Avlis already has code that stops you from entering it if you try to server hop back to it, but Mistcaller and PJ can answer that question better than I, since they worked on it.

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Baron
Ambassador: Ithilla

Post by Baron »

I say hats off to Abyss for picking a strict rules set and sticking with it...

Ithilla....well we hope to be somewhere in between Avlis and Abyss in strictness, though we wont track tells its hellfires intention that we be very strict about party chat and ooc chat.

that and taking a very no-nonsense attitude towards rule breakers (not that anybody doesnt)

So Good on ya Abyss :) smack em down and make em pay....

~Baron
The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words,there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.
Starslayer_D
Ambassador: Abyss404

Post by Starslayer_D »

Lets say it this way:
No one has been banned without throughrough discussion.
Some people make the discussion quit short and consentious, though. (cheaters, dupers, exploiters).
Others merrit long discussions and attempts to save (people who we believe can be saved by helping them improve their RP or by showing them that whining or being rude doesn't improve their lot).
Campers face their own special perrill (we do have allmost 100% DM coverage over the 24/7, and more than once enough DM's are avaiable to pay attention to what you do). And no, ModCON 100 wasn't intended to make things easier with the spawn you tried to farm... *evil grin* Its wonders what some critters do when they aren't taken out by the first spell...
People who swap quest info and do metagame via tells... well, see above under discussions...
emprod
Clueless Prime

Post by emprod »

Orleron wrote:No, you won't be able to server hop back. I believe Avlis already has code that stops you from entering it if you try to server hop back to it, but Mistcaller and PJ can answer that question better than I, since they worked on it.
There's no such thing with current linked worlds. The .bic transfers but stays on the original as well, and you can hop back ( I do so forgetfully sometimes ).

Didn't the old Vaultster delete the originating .bic? *recalls Mythos*

Was that bad for some reason?
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

emprod wrote:
Orleron wrote:No, you won't be able to server hop back. I believe Avlis already has code that stops you from entering it if you try to server hop back to it, but Mistcaller and PJ can answer that question better than I, since they worked on it.
There's no such thing with current linked worlds. The .bic transfers but stays on the original as well, and you can hop back ( I do so forgetfully sometimes ).

No, that never got implimented. It was tried, but the version that supported it caused some nasty, lag causing, CPU usage spikes on certain systems.

-Themicles
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
slave.of.emotions
Groundling

Post by slave.of.emotions »

Themicles wrote:
emprod wrote:

No, that never got implimented. It was tried, but the version that supported it caused some nasty, lag causing, CPU usage spikes on certain systems.

-Themicles
Besides that it saved me once... one time my character was exported wrong and the .bic file on destination server was corupted, luckily i could just portal again.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

By the time Abyss actually links, that code will be in. It's mostly there already but not implemented yet and it still needs a few key things, but it's not far off.

Sarrena
World Leader: Abyss404

Post by Sarrena »

Would someone on Avlis responisble for portal scripting contact me for mutual exchange of portaling information please. Thank you.
World Leader : Abyss 404