Gray Waste Entrapment by the book?

Temporary board for Miras PW, a world depicting the Grey Wastes of Hades.

Moderator: Miras PW

Do you think that Hades should have an entrapment trait as per the Manual of the Planes?

Yes, that'd be cool.
20%
No, that sucks!
80%

Total votes: 10

Sarmanos
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Gray Waste Entrapment by the book?

Post by Sarmanos »

Basically to explain it further in the Manual of the Planes the Gray Waste has an entrapment trait where if someone stays on the plane too long they eventually have to make a will save every so often or lose all hope and desire to leave the plane and effectively becomes a petitioner.
hylia
Planewalker

Post by hylia »

By-the-books is a bit harsh for the general feel of CoPaP, I think, and you would scare off a lot of potential players by having that in, since it's essentially permadeath.

What would be neat is that you have the make the will save or become trapped there and unable to portal off the plane until you complete some lengthy quest to gain your freedom.
kombinat
Planar Sage

Post by kombinat »

I agree with Hylia... a quest to complete to leave the plane, yes.. permanent entrapment? No way out? No thanks..
Gairus
Groundling

Post by Gairus »

I like the idea of entrapment with a quest to counter it - it's a good method for encouraging us to think of plane travel as a big deal.

Might the entrapment thing encourage people to only visit briefly, shop around/look for PGing spots then leave though?
Serpentax
Groundling

Post by Serpentax »

in my opinion perhaps use an entrapment system but..

people that fail and never want to leave have a likely hood of finding a "random" portal out.. thus getting away without wanting to..
this can bring a lot of intresting rp for the character as they seek a way back to the gloomy place they once called home :D

that or use a similar method to how 404 are planning.. we will have a hllishly tricky portal to find to get out..

(not hard as in monster guards, but hard as in finding the thing)

this makes planer tavel to the lower plains risky as it should be, yet still enjoyable.
Arond
Noobie

Post by Arond »

Or perhaps certain items could provide some protection from this effect? I agree that if the penalty is too high, folks just won't come to the plane.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

I agree with the "hard quest to get out" idea, which is similar to Abyss' "hard to find portal" idea.

Anyone who makes a world that is impossible to get out of, however, will not find that they accumulate a crowd.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Sarmanos
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Post by Sarmanos »

There would be a quest of course to get out. Not much point in linking if anyone who comes to your world can never leave.
Vichan Lyonsen
Planewalker

Post by Vichan Lyonsen »

I've always been a big proponant of making planar travel a dangerous and mystifying thing, but i also agree that the entrapment idea would in effect mean that people will simply come and go as quick as possible...

you could also reflect this diminishing will to leave in...a diminishing will save....and of course each time you fail your will save it becomes harder to succeed at a later time...in other words, the longer they stay the lower their will save will be...it will accellerate as the will save lowers, failure is more likely.

the effect is similar, manifests itself in a way the player can see, has significant effect over time. You could have NPC's able to "reset the clock" as it were..making for a useful 'gold sink'

make your portals hard to find, difficult to reach and otherwise dangerous anyway :)
Minor DM (Avlis)
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

Planar Travel depending on where you are is easy (just walk through a Door) or almost impossable (Ravenloft not even Gods can get out). The general effort should be relitive to the amount of traffic you want to generate. The outlands have lots of well traveled portals which are used almost every day many times each some are used dozens or hundreds of times a day by regular travelers and merchants moving goods (the Tradegate to Sigil Portal is an exaple of this). Generaly the gates to the lower planes are easy to get into but hard to get out of though not always the case some are just well gaurded. For a good idea of how hard it is to get into or out of a plane take a look at the 2nd edition Planescape boxed sets and the guide books.
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
Vichan Lyonsen
Planewalker

Post by Vichan Lyonsen »

I understand that under planescape rules things are entirely different. i just happen to disagree with those rules and generally throw them out the window in favor of my own opinions :lol: cause I'm just that kinda guy :lol:

So the upshot is...my opinion is just that...I think that planar travel in a setting such as ours should never be some kind of non-chalant affair.

Everybody may harbor a different opinion, and hey... I'm down with that :lol:

cheers ~V
Minor DM (Avlis)
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

Glad to know you understand that others harbor differnet opinions and respect that.

Not all trave should be easy but much of what is true in a prime is completly false in the outer planes and much of what is true in the outer planes is false in the inner planes.

Planer transition is more difficult from the prime than from any other plane as per MotP 1st ed, 2nd Planescape, and 3rd Ed MotP. The Astral on the other hand it is very easy step through a pool and poof new plane and the etherial one wrone step in the border etherial can land you in a differnt plane without warning. From an Avlis point of view yes planar travel should be somewhat hard but this is not true of every place in particular the Outlands and Sigil both of which regularly traffic in planar trade, as do several layers of the Abyss and certain realms elsewhere.
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]