New NWNx mySQL Plugin

Forum for scripters of NWN material and third party applications.
Arcsylver
Groundling

New NWNx mySQL Plugin

Post by Arcsylver »

I have installed and set up this plugin as per the instructions.

The thing is I have no idea how to tell if it is working or not.

Anyone who has set this up mind giving this SQL idiot some pointers?

The problem we are having is that any time we try to write anything to the database the server client locks and crashes forcing a module reload.

Not sure what is wrong and we desperately need help on this.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Make sure you changed the plugin name to nwnx_odbc.dll and that you have the msql library dll that came with the rar file. Both those dll's should be in your nwn directory, and your configuration file should be tailored to your own parameters in nwnx_mysql.ini.

If your module doesn't crash and it seems to work exactly as it did before, then it's working. If not, send Jeroen a PM.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Arcsylver
Groundling

Post by Arcsylver »

That's just it. I did exactly what you suggested because that is what the readme tells you to do.

The only difference that there was, was that I had the install on drive D instead of drive C.

But the instant that a DM tried to place a spawn in the database from in game the Server would freeze and crash.

Will have to send J a PM
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Without the database being connected, your server would run, but you'd be frozen as soon as you logged in as a player, and you'd get a couple of TMI errors. If you didn't see that, then your MySQL plugin is probably working. You might want to consider that it's your spawn system that's crashing your server and not the plugin.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Arcsylver
Groundling

Post by Arcsylver »

Funny you mention those TMI errors

I removed the plugin files and tried it using just the ODBC and got those errors.

It doesnt give them with the plugin installed. If I am using the plugin do I even need the ODBC drivers installed?

There isnt a lot of info on setting up the plugin other than to put the files in the NWN directory and to rename the DLL to ODNC instead of mysql.
Jeff
World Leader: Ea

Post by Jeff »

Arcsylver wrote:Funny you mention those TMI errors

I removed the plugin files and tried it using just the ODBC and got those errors.

It doesnt give them with the plugin installed. If I am using the plugin do I even need the ODBC drivers installed?

There isnt a lot of info on setting up the plugin other than to put the files in the NWN directory and to rename the DLL to ODNC instead of mysql.
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can just rename a dll and expect that to change anything. If anything it's going to make matters worse.

Get the original dll for both mysql and odbc, then use the one your trying to test with.
Come by and see us at:
http://hanus.is-a-geek.net/
Arcsylver
Groundling

Post by Arcsylver »

Well that would be fine Jeff except that the instructions for installing the mysql plugin say to rename the .dll from nwnx_odbc.dll to nwnx_mysql.dll to prevent and conflicts with things that look for the odbc files.

I dunno, I got another problem now with the darn mysql service refusing to stay started so I cant figure this out firther until I get THAT problem fixed AGAIN.

If this doesn't start working soon I am likely to say to heck with the whole thing and give up on NT ever going fully live since I cant get the NWNx stuff to work and it is required for CoPaP
Arcsylver
Groundling

Post by Arcsylver »

First off apologies for my venting my earlier frustration.

Second, I have the Plugin working. It seems that at least on this machine, when I went to set up the database and everything it did not want to work properly unless the NWNx files were already in place before I set up the connection between NWNx and mySQL.

Our database is now recording data and seems to be in perfect working order finally.

Now to figure out the problem with the spawn system.......*goes back to slaving away to get the world working*