Excellent PW Tilesets

Forum for builders of NWN material.
Arcsylver
Groundling

Excellent PW Tilesets

Post by Arcsylver »

I thought iI would post about Lodrezzon's Supersets here to let everyone know about them that hasn't seen them yet.

He has designed custom tilesets using some of the best availible tileset additions as well as the default tilesets all combined into one "Superset" . This allows for an amazing combination of areas to be built using only one tileset hak that encompasses many situations and terrain types.

Here is a link to all of Lodrezzon's availible sstuff on NWVault

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpacks/d ... zon2.shtml
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

The more tiles per set, the longer the load time of an area...
This is more true of areas that use a wide variety of the tiles in a set... but in general, it will increase load times. BioWare stated such when asked why the tilesets were so limited.

With that said... if you don't mind the load times, they are decent sets.

-Themicles
Brick
Clueless Prime

Post by Brick »

Personally I feel that they're a bit too big. If you want to make your players download more haks, there are alot of things that would make your module better for a fraction of the size. Like new placeables for example.
[url=http://www.tairisnadur.com]Tairis'nàdur[/url]
Arcsylver
Groundling

Post by Arcsylver »

Brick ...... Three little letters take care of the entire placeables issue quite nucely.

C
E
P

With that said. The main reason I posted about these "Supersets" is the fact that Lodrezzon has put a lot of time and effort into them. As an example of a server that could have benefittted greatly from them. The Ferrell server in Avlis uses the hobit hovels with the smooth hills, Those huge towers and many other things as well. The superset Mirador hak as an example has all of that and believe it or not doesnt have all that much more load time than the servers now do.

The reason I chose to use the superset mirador hak for NT was because it already had all of the things I wanted included in the tileset . Between Mirador and the CEP there isnt anything else I really need to build with and it allows me a continuty across different areas that you just really cant achieve with most tilesets.
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

I understand your reasons... but theres a few good reasons for having tilesets seperate.

I plan on using tileset combos in Tairis'nadur's future, but they aren't supersets. I plan on using the JXP forest for my elven forests, and the JXP mountains for my wilderness server.

Why not just attach one big combo to those two servers? Well... together, they are even larger than I would accept for a single hak. At least this way, players can choose to download just the forest ones, and never visit the wilderness server. Or vice versa. As my world will always have more than one way to get to the other servers (ie. You can get to the Western nations not only by crossing the mountains, but also by travelling through the forest and going around the south end of the mountains.), this will work out for those who are running out of space, or can't download massive haks all at once. Look back at the last Universal update. There were a few people asking for split downloads because even the Universal was too big for them to download all at once.

Just being the devil's advocate here. Not trying to convince you to do other than what you are already planning. Just explaining our side of the picture.

-Themicles
Arcsylver
Groundling

Post by Arcsylver »

Well yes, however NT is a single server world for the foreseeable futrue.

The supersets are great for that purpose. A single server that neds a lot of different terrain types that all mesh well together. Instead of having the x in one tileset hak that lumps a lot of differently built haks together into one hak and they all look disticntly different.

That was my reasoning behind selecting the ss_mirado superset for the NT "Main" hak. We also use the JXP_Mountains to add to that fro more mountainous areas and the two work quite nicely together.

With that said. The Supersets wont be for everyone. But I thought I would post about them for those who didn't know about them because I know a lot of builders out there who have complained of a lack of continuity between exterior tilesets like going from rural to city and it being an awkward change.

Lodrezzon went out of his way to make that shock of the terrain types as little as possible.

Remind me sometime Them and I will let you wander around what we have built thus far area wise to get a first hand look at what it look like. That is if you dont mind downloading those haks