14%
Variant Planes & Cosmologies
9%

Total votes: 22

Manuel the White
Groundling

Best chapter from Manual of the Planes?

Post by Manuel the White »

Unless you're like me ( :oops: ), this manual is in your D&D library. Which chapter did you enjoy most? Variant Planes & Cosmologies is actually an appendix but I listed it anyway.
[img]http://www.avlis.org/AvlisDarkSig.php[/img]
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

3rd Edition Manual of the Planes

Post by teleri »

I personally find this book fairly ofensive as they ignore almost 20 years of Planar cosmology. Which is just silly as it is fully developed.

cheets,
teleri
Camb
Clueless Prime

Post by Camb »

I have to agree....though I wouldn't use the word "offensive". It's not THAT important to me, hehe. But they certainly did take everything that was well, good and fun and condense it a LOT...and I don't think they picked the best things to keep, and the worst to throw out.

Should have been a HUGE book, not this blurb of this and that.
teleri

Post by teleri »

Unfortunatly I am a Planescape fan a huge one in fact that is what brough me back to AD&D. A real interesting setting with a bit of consistancy because the team creating it was isolated from the rest of the TSR group, so trowing out all the work done for 3rd edition was a slap in the face to all the planescape players out there. At one point planescape outsold all of the other TSR world lines. I wish that they would fix the planes in 3rd or at least use the 2nd edition material.

cheers,
teleri
Camb
Clueless Prime

Post by Camb »

Indeed...I spent hours and hours...hell, days and days pouring over the Planescape material. It was VERY well done.

Call me old, but 3rd edition ruined a once great endeavor.

Still wouldn't call it offensive, though, hehe.
Fallen_Chrome
Clueless Prime

Post by Fallen_Chrome »

WOTC did a piss poor job of taking what was IMO the greatest campaign setting EVER and converting it to their standards. I have to agree with Teleri on this one I personally found it quite offensive.
Abyss 404 - DM
Approaching Winter
Manuel the White
Groundling

Post by Manuel the White »

Looks like I started a contraversy. Heh. Polls are FUN!
[img]http://www.avlis.org/AvlisDarkSig.php[/img]
Drysh
Planewalker

Post by Drysh »

I don't have the Manual of Planes! Or are you talking about the old manual created before Planescape? That one I have. :P
I've read the 3rd edition Manual of Planes and I could not believe someone would choose that over Planescape. So.. I stayed with 2nd ed. good old Planescape setting.
Not many players, but the best players understands the insane rule set of Planescape.

*trying to decide if that action should change alignment or faction*
By the way, a chaotic cypher that told the others they had a deal with that yoguloth and that they should wait, was taking a lawful action or a non-cypher one? That's the best about Planescape.. :D
Cheers.

Post by Sarmanos »

Technically you don't have to go by 3rd edition material just because it says 3rd edition but using 3rd edition rules, settings, etc, might cause confusion if someone decides to go with 2nd edition plane lore and such instead of 3rd. Remember, they make the books but the DM decides what gets used in their material.
Gairus
Groundling

Post by Gairus »

The manual of the planes goes to great lengths to stress that fact too, Sarm :)
teleri

Post by teleri »

The new MotP is nothing more than a pathetic rehash minus all of the good material of the Unearthed Arcane rework of the original MotP.

After that they threw out all of the old working planar idologies and connecting theories and decided that the "Transient Planes" are all the same.. Thank you I will stick with 2nd edition which makes sense (:

Cheers,
teleri