Arborea looking for tilesets, any good advice?

Development for CoPaP
Tristan_Durst
World Leader: Arborea

Arborea looking for tilesets, any good advice?

Post by Tristan_Durst »

On the layer of olympus, I am wanting mountains for this mixed up chaotic landscape as descibed in the 2nd edition D&D Plansecape Setting. I have been thinking about useing the THX Mountains haks, unless someone has a better one to use.

Thanks,
Tristan
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Yeah, get as many different kickass forest tilesets as you can. There are quite a few.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Tairis'nàdur

Post by JollyOrc »

Personally I like the C.R.A.P. collection, which I'm also using for the PW I'm working on right now.

Their rural and mountain packs feature a few nice forests, and even a tree city. (although the latter, while a very nice idea, still is found lacking)
bye,
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Abyss404

Post by Starslayer_D »

Taris uses a modification to give standard bioware forests canopies. Great visual efefct... but hard to navigate at times due to canopy hiding things at zoomed-out viewpoint.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Yeah the canopy thing is annoying. I've tried it.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Tristan_Durst
World Leader: Arborea

Post by Tristan_Durst »

*nods* Used it as an overide once, was really annoying. Kept walking through trees, and missed an enemy on another server that killed me. It was hideing in the tree.
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

Tristan_Durst wrote:*nods* Used it as an overide once, was really annoying. Kept walking through trees, and missed an enemy on another server that killed me. It was hideing in the tree.
You only walked through trees because you used it as an override, and the server you played on didn't use it. The tree canopy pack from DLA does not have the same walkmeshes as the original forest tileset. Therefor, your client is walking based on the original forest set that the server is on, and ignoring the walkmeshes on the local, forest canopy version.

As for it being annoying. Ya know, the camera moves for that reason. If any of you plan on playing NWN2, you might want to get used to it. Obsidian already said they are ditching tile fade (where the top half disappears). It's just plain not needed because this isn't a static isometric view. The camera moves in the full 360 degrees around your character, and now moves fully on the 90 degrees up and down.

Sorry, I had to say something because I hate the BioWare telephone poles, and also don't understand why people find it so hard to move their cameras. :P

-Themicles
"A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future." -me
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

A good though Large tileset is SS Miridor or any of the other Super Sets by Lodrezzon all of which integrate well together. http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpacks/d ... zon2.shtml
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
slave.of.emotions
Groundling

Post by slave.of.emotions »

teleri wrote:A good though Large tileset is SS Miridor or any of the other Super Sets by Lodrezzon all of which integrate well together. http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpacks/d ... zon2.shtml
Only that mirador is buged in some way, even if evryone thinks that it is not so. I have used haks of similar sizes and they load perfectly.
I resized once all textures in that hak by half and nothing changed about the time it needs to build up (the "Unloading massage") , once got even annoyed and deleted all textures and obects from it but nothing changed about it... and so if you are not one of those people that always buy the newest pc the loading times are annoying like nothing else.

*signed by* slave_of_emotions, leader of the organisation against miradorSS.hak 8)

The truth is that the best tilesets are the orginal bioware tileset, and with small addons and right placables from CEP can be done amazing things with it, the best looking servers i have seen so far were Tairisandur and Glantri. (from the linked worlds)
JollyOrc
Ambassador: Tairis'nàdur

Post by JollyOrc »

slave.of.emotions wrote:The truth is that the best tilesets are the orginal bioware tileset, and with small addons and right placables from CEP can be done amazing things with it, the best looking servers i have seen so far were Tairisandur and Glantri. (from the linked worlds)
well. Tairis isn't using plain old Bioware. For starters, there are the hills, and some other stuff :)
bye,
JollyOrc