Crafting Help.. I thought I would ask everyone here.....

Development for CoPaP
Jaguar
World Leader: Etheria

Crafting Help.. I thought I would ask everyone here.....

Post by Jaguar »

I need some insight here is anyone has any.
I have implemented the crafting system and all the items. I added a forge, anvil, light hammer, and the invisible Iron Ore.

I can mine the ore and get the raw material in my inventory BUT when I add that material to the Forge it says that there are no items to create…..

I have the Iron Ingot in the pallet….. so, I do not know why the forge is not allowing me to create it.

Please help….

Thank you
Corbett
World Leader: Storm Haven

Post by Corbett »

If I remember correctly that is caused by not having a placeable with the tag of “PCVault” somewhere in your module. Hope that helps it has been awhile since I worked with the Alvis scripts.
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

Err this is news to me I have never heard of this PCVault item ... not saying you are wrong I might even have the blasted thing (: and just not know it.

I have reached a differnt error point. Differnt than Jagaur's entirely.

When adding an ingredient to craft all that shows in my list of craftable items is "weapon handle" on the forge I get three of them on the anvil I get 3 pages, on the achemical apperatus I get 3 pages of them, on the bolt of cloth I get 2 pages of them, on the sawhorse I get 3 pages of them.

On the sawhorse with wood on the sawhorse I cannot carft any of the 3 pages of "weapon handle" items I ran through them all to see.

Cheers,
teleri
Corbett

Post by Corbett »

My guess would be you started with the AvlisZero module and the Immortal Area has the PCVault placeable in it. All of the local variables for player skills and calculations are done on it so you have to have it for ARS to function.

Your problem sounds like something with how you have the tags setup for the crafting placeables, since it sounds like everything wants to make weapon handles. Check ARS_RECIPES table for the correct spelling and case sensitivity of the CLASS field the recipe is being assigned to. That field is the first part of the tag for the item, the rest of the tag doesn’t matter but must be unique for each instance you have in your module. Example: Short swords are made on anvils, the class field has it “anvil” so my tag would look something like “anvil_market01”.

That is just a wild guess I’ve not really looked at the Avlis code in 4 or 5 months.
Mistcaller
Groundling

Post by Mistcaller »

Corbett is correct. Crafting Placeables should have a specific prefix in order to work. Perhaps you can find prototypes of those placeables in the palette, even though I havent personally checked the zero mod.
Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

ok... well, I know that the placeables are named correctly...

anvil_Outskirts

BUT I am getting, when I have about 20 iron ore, there are no items for your selected difficulty on this apparatus.....

This also happens with EVERY difficulty... now i can understand a high difficulty sayng that BUT INGOTS? I should at least be able to create Ingots....

When viewing entire menu it says, Sorry, you can't craft anything with these ingredients.....

Confused.......
teleri

Post by teleri »

Mistcaller wrote:Corbett is correct. Crafting Placeables should have a specific prefix in order to work. Perhaps you can find prototypes of those placeables in the palette, even though I havent personally checked the zero mod.
They are there and that is what I used. Does it matter that the placeable is named forge01 as opposed to forge_01 ?

Cheers,
teleri
teleri

Post by teleri »

OK after some more work last night. Status is....

Jagaur -- System unchanged still cannot craft with the components he has.
teleri -- System is still giving me only one item which is "A normal Dagger"

Changes made:
jaguar -- imported the imortals area with the PCVault and the sign with ars_log
teleri -- renamed the placeable to forge_01, checked resrefs and generaly checked for spelling errors.

any help would be appreciated

cheers,
teleri
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Make sure that no two forges in your mod have the same tags. Also make sure that you have entered ingredients into your database tables. That crafting difficulty message usually comes about when the craftables have not been initialized on module load, which is either due to them not being entered into the database properly, or you are missing some code in your module onLoad.

Some other advice.... chase the code. It will open your eyes to many things. Start with avlis_onload, and follow the progression of the crafting system all the way through making an item.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Daerthe
Ambassador: Ea

Post by Daerthe »

@Jag: You can't craft raw ore in an anvil IIRC. It has to be forged into ingots using the forge before you can work it on the anvil. Try that in addition to the advice given above. :-)
Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Daerthe - Yeah, I kinda knew that, I used the Anvil as an example....

The forge will not give me the option to craft ingots to use on the Anvil......

I followed the post about crafting to a tee.... and I only have one forge and one anvil in my mod for testing... So, the tag isn't the problem....

I dunno what to do at this point..... this is frustrating... I am about to scrap it and put in a different crafting system... although it would be nice to have your system.... BUT not if it will not runn even with your instructions...

Thank you though for all your input ahead of time.....

I am trying to chase the code now... (wish I was a programmer... or understood more about code though...)

anyway, the hunt goes on.....
Corbett

Post by Corbett »

The biggest problem with these types of problems is they are hard to troubleshoot without seeing the module in front of you. Both you and Teleri have something simple that is just not quite right.

A couple of questions I thought of are
1) Did you start with the ZeroMod or did you import the various Avlis systems into the one you are working with. (There is a big difference between those 2 ways of installing)
2) How did you populate the crafting DB is it roll your on or coming from an Avlis dump?
3) You did remember that the crafting system needs the NWNX_HASHSET and the module is installed and running fine under ASP/NWNX?

Trust me it worth figuring this crafting system out, it is the only one on the marketplace that has a fairly low overhead on your module.
teleri

Post by teleri »

Corbett wrote:The biggest problem with these types of problems is they are hard to troubleshoot without seeing the module in front of you. Both you and Teleri have something simple that is just not quite right.

A couple of questions I thought of are
1) Did you start with the ZeroMod or did you import the various Avlis systems into the one you are working with. (There is a big difference between those 2 ways of installing)
2) How did you populate the crafting DB is it roll your on or coming from an Avlis dump?
3) You did remember that the crafting system needs the NWNX_HASHSET and the module is installed and running fine under ASP/NWNX?

Trust me it worth figuring this crafting system out, it is the only one on the marketplace that has a fairly low overhead on your module.
ok taken one at a time for Outlands (:

1) ZeroMod
2) crafting tables were populated from the code I got from Ferus after he fixed his crafting system (Jag is working from the same code here) I can send them to you if you wish
3) I am running the Linux NWNX_Hashset and the Mod is up and playable under NWNX2

Ohh I know fully well how worth while the crafting is but it is quite frustrating... ):

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
teleri
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

The Avlis contact for crafting is Sylvan Phoenix. Try sending him some PM's on the Avlis boards to get some help. Unfortunately there is a lot of steps to installing this thing and if you miss one step,it blows it.

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."

Post by Guest »

This is what happened…. My partner imported the Avlis scripts and I then imported the Zero Mod scripts…..
So.. I need to find out from SOMEONE what to do from here…..

I will contact Sylvan Phoenix on the Avlis boards but in the meantime.. I will take any suggestions anyone has……

Thank you Orleron
Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

THe above guest is me.. Jag.. hehehehe
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Anonymous wrote:This is what happened…. My partner imported the Avlis scripts and I then imported the Zero Mod scripts…..
So.. I need to find out from SOMEONE what to do from here…..
Right there that tells me why you might have problems. There have been numerous versions of the crafting system, almost none of which are compatible with each other. The version in the zero mod and the version in the crafting erf are probably not the same one, because the zero mod tends to not be updated that often, unfortunately.

I would do either or... use the crafting scripts from the zero mod or from the crafting erf, then upgrade them to our latest crafting code which will hopefully be put into an erf by an Avlis Team member soon. We've been talking internally about getting people to be better with updating the erf's we have on our site. It's quite hard to get compliance from team mates in this matter, but we're tryin.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I see….. now that is my problem Orleron…. I don’t mean to be upset here but you want everyone to be compliant but yet what you need to use to be compliant you are left to figure out on your own…. THIS here is where my frustration kicks in….
I have spent countless hours trying to get everything that the other worlds are using up and running but have run into so many obstacles and lack of documentation.
I finally thought I got somewhere when I got the custom char. Crator working and started with the treasure and crafting scripts…. Everything seemed to import fine….

I will have to now go back to what I imported and overwrite everything…. Good thing I organized everything I imported… so, it shouldn’t be that hard… I will just have to use the Crafting erfs and not the zero mod

Do not get me wrong.. I LOVE what you all have done here…. It is just very hard to be new in all this with no direction…

I keep plugging away.. and see if it works to import the crafting erfs and not the zeromod stuff….
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Now see my frustration... Between 60 and 100 people are staff for CoPaP, on one world or another. None of them are paid to do their jobs, so out of those 60 to 100 people, perhaps 20 or 30 of them actually DO their jobs. Out of those 20 or 30, perhaps 10 are actually on the Avlis Team. Those 10 are not only responsible for maintaining Avlis, which is a mamouth task, but also making sure that all of these universal scripts get updated properly. And again, none of them are paid.

So, put yourself in the driver's seat. You have 10 people actually working. You have 100+ tasks for them to do. Each of those tasks take more hours than these people physically HAVE, because they also have lives.

How would you get things updated properly under those conditions?

Fact is that it does happen, but slowly... like over a period of months to years. And again, until people want to donate enough money to pay these inactive people for their work, there's no way to force them to do anything.

If you are going to be a major person on a PW staff, you have to get used to this. You aren't the only one who gets frustrated because things aren't crystal clear or being worked on constantly.

The Avlis Team IS working on getting the crafting and other system erf's and even the zero mod in order, but as I said, we're limited in the labor we have. You will need to learn this stuff on your own and with the help of others in your boat in order to get it done with any speed.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Orleron, please understand that SPEED is not my issue here.. I do not mind learning something.. AT ALL… in fact, building this mod with no experience has been a HUGE learning experience… It’s Direction I have a hard time with…. There just has been no direction and it leaves me a bit lost…

I understand that certain scripts have to be imported before others.. and I know I have messed that up a few times to have to go back and try again….

I can only imagine how hard it must be to run something as lage as you and your staff are running.. Hell, I am only scratching the surface… AND I apologize if I am coming off as the BAD GUY, LOUD MOUTH, PROBLEM CHILD…. Truth is.. I AM a loud mouth… and keep asking questions even if the answer is easy so I know exactly what I am doing… BUT please do not take what and who I am as any sort of disrespect to what you are doing here….

That is not my intention… After spending a whole day trying to fix something and it still not working or getting no further than where you started makes me crazy… Especially when so many are running flawlessly what I am trying to fix.

So, again, if I am coming off as being disrespectful my apologies….
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

No disrespect taken. I just wanted you to see that you are not alone in what you are going through, and that all of us are either going through it now or have in the past.

Sylvan Phoenix will hopefully be able to help you a bit. For all CoPaP systems, it is my intention that each will have a person in charge of it, from the world that made the system. We're working on implementing that for the systems that Avlis has made, but it's slow going because there's a lot of other things that go on simultaneously.

Originally when CoPaP was small, I would help everyone by myself and eventually Themi became able to do so. But now it's getting very large, and we'll need to get some system people. But again, I have to be able to do that without appreciably hurting the labor being done on my world.

Apandapion
CoPaP: Player Coordinator

zero mods

Post by Apandapion »

Orleron wrote: How would you get things updated properly under those conditions?
Just throwing this in here...

I imagine the work process goes something like this:

1. Download avlis zero mod
2. add things to make local zero mod
3. get all of the extras you want working
4. start development of world

Maybe people should be publishing what they have at the end of step three? If I had a world called Tarsion, I might do all of these things and then publish it as the Tarsion zero mod. If it worked out particularly well, other people could use it as a starting point.
jaythespacehound
Groundling

Post by jaythespacehound »

Any news on the latest crafting erf?
I have crafting working, but several items are missing (eg wheat)
And the or mining doesn't work.
No rush, just wondering... last one is from july o.O
Jay
dougnoel
Groundling

Post by dougnoel »

PlasmaJohn is now the crafting guru. I would PM him. Give him some time to respond though, he's a busy guy.