Server OS

Development for CoPaP
Rathaen
World Leader: Stormsea Rising

Server OS

Post by Rathaen »

Hello everyone,

I've plenty of bandwidth & hardware available to host my module... but the problem is, all of my machines run one flavor or another of Linux, and NWNX for Linux appears to be unstable at best. Do you use Windows-based or Linux-based servers? If Linux, are you having any trouble with NWNX?

If Linux is not a workable solution right now, then, er, can anyone volunteer a wee bit of hosting?

Rathaen
-----
"Rathaen ni-Tethrain" and/or "Eilysian ab-Pharaki"
from "Stormsea Rising"
Drakuul
Groundling

Post by Drakuul »

I'm currently running the bog standard Windows Xp on my server system for Hala, but will be upgrading to Xp Corporate.

Never had a problem with NWNx yet
*Your superior intelligence can not defeat my puny weapons*
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

Another problem is that VaultSTER, the plugin we use to connect servers is not ported to LINUX yet.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Themicles
Leader: Tairis'nàdur & CoPaP Hak-Master

Post by Themicles »

There have been many tests done.

One in particular that PlasmaJohn pointed me to, shows that Win2k works best for the nwserver.exe...

I use Win2k myself... and everything runs great. And, even though Win2k supposedly doesn't support my processor's hyperthreading as well as XP does... it seems to do just fine. I play on the same machine that I host with... haven't had a problem yet.

My biggest beef with XP is how much of the system resources it requires.

And honestly, I've heard some pretty convincing reasons why Linux isn't the best to use for NWN servers anyway.

-Themicles
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

Themicles wrote:And honestly, I've heard some pretty convincing reasons why Linux isn't the best to use for NWN servers anyway.

-Themicles
I would be interested in these reasons I have a NWN server running Linux and have had no problems as of yet but would like to make the PW avalible soon and if there is an issue with running a PW with Linux.

Cheers,
teleri
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

I didn't say that there were *problems.*

If all you're after is bug free... then you're best with Win2k or higher, since VaultSTER isn't ported to Linux yet.

I've been told, and wont quote specifics because I don't have logs, that due to various reasons, there isn't as big of a performance gain running nwserver in Linux over Windows, as many might think.

-Themicles
Cromwell
World Leader - LoT: Thay

Post by Cromwell »

Well the most obvious reason was that although developed to work on Linux as well, i doubt BioWare invested as much time and effort into making their software as efficient on Linux as say... UT2004 ... (By a much larger company). You also have to realise, NWN is a few years old as well... So perhaps its not as up to par with the kernal in linux?
[color=red]"How wonderfully mad of you!"[/color]
teleri

Post by teleri »

Themicles wrote:I didn't say that there were *problems.*

If all you're after is bug free... then you're best with Win2k or higher, since VaultSTER isn't ported to Linux yet.

I've been told, and wont quote specifics because I don't have logs, that due to various reasons, there isn't as big of a performance gain running nwserver in Linux over Windows, as many might think.

-Themicles
I have been running a sever I guess some server specs are in order...
4 x 500Mhz Zeon with 4 gig of RAM
Windows doesn't really seem to take full advantage of the multiple procs. the way Linux is able to this leads me to believe that even with linux and a small hit on performace it is a better solution for me but I would like to run the ValtSTER system.

cheers,
teleri

Post by Guest »

Sounds like alot of overkill for a NWN server... Unless you plan on running more than that on it. You could have half that machine and still run 60 people. I think i would have spent that extra 2 grand on renting an OC500 connection, unless you already have that. :roll:
teleri

Post by teleri »

Anonymous wrote:Sounds like alot of overkill for a NWN server... Unless you plan on running more than that on it. You could have half that machine and still run 60 people. I think i would have spent that extra 2 grand on renting an OC500 connection, unless you already have that. :roll:
It is a box I have left over from a failed DotCom (:

cheers,
teler
Themicles

Post by Themicles »

nwserver.exe wont take advantage of multiple processors.
AFAIK, it's a single threaded engine.

-Themicles
teleri

Post by teleri »

Themicles wrote:nwserver.exe wont take advantage of multiple processors.
AFAIK, it's a single threaded engine.

-Themicles
no but having multiple instances up using seperate procs works fine.

cheers,
teleri