Ugly bug detected in Vaultster

Development for CoPaP
Chassagne
Planar Sage

Ugly bug detected in Vaultster

Post by Chassagne »

I noticed that Vaultser can put corrupted bic files in the Server vault. If there is a crash of one of the world while the file is transfering, then the transfer is interrupted, which is logical, but Vaultster still copies the partial bic file in the vault, which is wrong of course. This happenned in Hala.

Vaultser is not open source, so I dont know how it works internaly. Here is how it should work : first send the length of the file (exact number of bytes), then get the bytes and put them in a file in one call.

We noticed it, because when the player owning the buggy bic file tried to log in, the server entered an endless loop before presenting him his char chooser page. It was a half-crash : everyone was timed out, but the process could stay up for more than half an hour, thus preenting NWNX2 from relaunching it.
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

The timing for that bug is very rare. In fact, I've never actually seen it happen before. Send an email to jeroen@avlis.org to let him know.

(And back up your server vault every day.)
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."