Regarding Shifter classes and low magic world..

Development for CoPaP
Khaelindra
Groundling

Post by Khaelindra »

Serpentax wrote:you trash your opponents saves while your a druid first..
This almost-hidden statement intrigues me, Serpentax. Can't help it, i'm a druid-guy... :oops:

How does a druid trash another one's saves?

I know they have a spell to lower SR (Nature's Balance), but i don't recall any spell lowering Saving Throws. Wizards have this nifty thing called Mind Fog (-10 to willsaves i think?), but that's not a druid spell, and i'm really at a loss what other spell you could be referring to.

So...fess up...what did i miss...?!? :D

Mickey
Phase
Noobie

Post by Phase »

Serpentax wrote: any spels you grant will be AT WIll as i still haven't got the hang of adding the artifical limit to them..
No idea if you've solved this yet as I didn't read any update on it in your forum.
To solve this set a local variable on the character when he shifts into the shape. Each time the power is used decrease the varibale by one untill 0 uses are left. When this happens show the "concentrate message".

For this to work smoothy you have to edit other .2da's as well for you need new powers to be available that call the new scripts. If you wish to avoid this you'd have to recycle existing scripts like the baislik or vampire gaze attacks. Then you'd call the apropriate power depending on ApperanceID.
Icon's and title won't be correct then however.

I myself have played a shifter on a low magic world similar to CoPaP. They can be quite good if played well, sometimes even frigheningly so at high levels agaist particular opponents (those whose weaknesses neatly fit with the shifters strengths). They are however not inherently more powerfull then any other class that is played well... like mages for instance. Played baldy they can be very bad however, they are not for those that don't want to think about tactics.

Any world that does nerf their abilities, like their strong magic weapons at later levels I would suggest incorperating Iznoghoud Improved Wildshape Script http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/da ... 7078.shtml. This will allow magic items to stack properly for shifters like for other characters.

A +2 Ring, +2 Boots and a +1 Armor will then give +5 AC, unlike the current implementation where the shifter would only get +2 to AC from them when shiffted.
Malathyre
Planar Sage

Post by Malathyre »

Phase wrote: I myself have played a shifter on a low magic world similar to CoPaP. They can be quite good if played well, sometimes even frigheningly so at high levels agaist particular opponents (those whose weaknesses neatly fit with the shifters strengths). They are however not inherently more powerfull then any other class that is played well... like mages for instance. Played baldy they can be very bad however, they are not for those that don't want to think about tactics.
Ok, I give. Help! Apparently, I haven't the slightest idea what I am doing with mine or how to play my shifter well and tactfully, because I personally think that the shifter class is drastically underpowered from what I have seen so far and from what I have been able to do. There isn't anything that my character can do significantly better (that isn't rightfully getting nerfed) in any of the wildshape forms (up to Greater Wildshape III) that she can't do better in regular elf form. What am I missing here? The saves against the powers such as wyrmling breath or the harpy song are pathetically low, and since weapons with even an attack bonus of +1 cut through damage reduction, Gargoyle is pretty useless. All of the other classes have such pathetically low AC vs. the amount of damage that they do that the tradeoff for shifting just isn't worth it 99% of the time, except for obvious fun rp purposes. So, you folks who obviously know what you are doing, please, PM me with strategies, I'm at a loss. My character is level 14, has access to greater wildshape III, and I find myself wishing that I had stayed pure druid. Input would be most appreciated.
<Daerthe> There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly.