1.67 Update Status Request

Development for CoPaP
Arkonswrath
Ambassador: Hala

1.67 Update Status Request

Post by Arkonswrath »

Can we get a status update for those worlds who have not yet made the update from 1.66 to 1.67? I'm curious as to how far those who haven't made the switch are from being able to make that switch as it does have an impact on playerbases :)

Thanks
Alphonse
Groundling

Post by Alphonse »

Arkaz is 1.67 and we currently have no players or DMs on the right version.

Fortunately we're in the middle of a major update of a lot of areas so we can update and test in relative peace
terryrayc
World Leader: Arkaz

Post by terryrayc »

Right now I think Avlis is the big holdup. Most CoPaP Players play there to and are holding off on the switch until Avlis updates not sure what is taking so long for them to get started.
Visit the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com/wiki]Wiki[/url]
Or the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com]Website[/url]
VIpAcT
Planewalker

Post by VIpAcT »

What many people do not know is that you can switch between the two versions rather painlessly. You just need to have the two patches (the 1.67 patch and the 1.66 revert patch) in the NWN directory. People are going to download the new patch anyways and the 1.66 revert patch is only a little over 2mbs.

With this setup, the gamer can switch back and forth by pressing the update button rather quickly. The only thing that they need to do is pull the 1.67 zip patch (do not unzip) out of the temp directory right after the new patch downloads with the updater. Then you are good to play both versions without needing to manage two .exe's or another copied directory.
szabot
Planewalker

Post by szabot »

terryrayc wrote:Right now I think Avlis is the big holdup. Most CoPaP Players play there to and are holding off on the switch until Avlis updates not sure what is taking so long for them to get started.
Yep, I know that's what I'm waiting for.
VIpAcT wrote:What many people do not know is that you can switch between the two versions rather painlessly. You just need to have the two patches (the 1.67 patch and the 1.66 revert patch) in the NWN directory. People are going to download the new patch anyways and the 1.66 revert patch is only a little over 2mbs.

With this setup, the gamer can switch back and forth by pressing the update button rather quickly. The only thing that they need to do is pull the 1.67 zip patch (do not unzip) out of the temp directory right after the new patch downloads with the updater. Then you are good to play both versions without needing to manage two .exe's or another copied directory.
That doesn't seem painless to me. I'm superbly NOT technical at all, and don't really get what you wrote. :P
Bruno Knotslinger
Ambassador: Greyhawk West

Post by Bruno Knotslinger »

Greyhawk should be 1.67 next week some time.
Snow
Ambassador: Avlis

Post by Snow »

Avlis will be on 1.67 shortly.
terror2001
Ambassador: Greyhawk West

Post by terror2001 »

Greyhawk / Greyspace is running 1.67 now.
Terror2001

[quote="Aeveras"]Yeah, my favourite DM is [spoiler] and [FOIG]![/quote]
Alporik
Noobie

Post by Alporik »

What I did was copy nwmain.exe to nwmain1.66.exe before I updated. All my Avlis shortcuts target the second file (which was not changed by the update), while my Hala and Hades shortcuts target the first (which was changed by the update). I have had no problems logging into either at a moments notice. Unfortunately, I know of no solution for portaling, but that is only a problem right now between Avlis and the twin cities I believe.

Once Avlis updates - thanks for the word Snow - I will just change my Avlis targets to nwmain.exe. I will probably leave nwmain1.66.exe there just in case. :)
Zebranky
Ambassador: The Grey Wastes

Post by Zebranky »

Alporik wrote:What I did was copy nwmain.exe to nwmain1.66.exe before I updated. All my Avlis shortcuts target the second file (which was not changed by the update), while my Hala and Hades shortcuts target the first (which was changed by the update). I have had no problems logging into either at a moments notice.
The only problem you could run into is if 1.67 worlds begin referencing the 1.67 content, while your core NWN data is still 1.66, if this is the case. If your NWN data is on 1.67 while connecting to 1.66 worlds, you run the risk of trying to ask the server for 1.67 content (e.g. models, textures), and it will have no idea what you're talking about.

Then again, this is all in theory. It could work fine, but my preferred solution is a .bat file that copies the file nwn_x12_english_from1668074_to1678093.zip to the NWN dir, then runs the updater. All you have to do is click update, and for some reason, this file is able to both upgrade and revert your version. It avoids the potential risks of only upgrading nwmain, while still only taking a few seconds to switch versions. Yay.
terryrayc

Post by terryrayc »

of course this wouldn't be an issue if Avlis was updated....can we get an ETA? are we talking days, weeks, months or years?
NCGrimbo

Post by NCGrimbo »

It should happen within the next two or three weeks. We are coordinating with the MC's and trying to make sure everyone is ready to go at the same time.
terryrayc

Post by terryrayc »

thanks, not being apain, I'm getting hit up by players non-stop wanting to know what the delay is. Good 2 or 3 weeks isn't bad.
NCGrimbo

Post by NCGrimbo »

Avlis Team wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, the update is complete, and Avlis is running 1.67. You may resume your regularly scheduled gaming, on all servers except for Kurathene, which doesn't seem to like the new arrangements. I'll post a note when that's been fixed.

Big thanks to Themicles for doing the CoPaP hak updates, to Kinarr for doing the Avlis hak updates, the MCs for the mod updates, and PJ for general assistance.