Another Idea: Adding new PrCs to CoPaP

Development for CoPaP
Tristan_Durst
World Leader: Arborea

Another Idea: Adding new PrCs to CoPaP

Post by Tristan_Durst »

I DL the Epic Character Builds from the BioWare site ever now and then, and saw that there are two new builds, that require a PrC expansion pack. It also looks like it is also a SubRace pak as well.

http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/manual/index.html

The PrCs are straight from the 3.5/3.0 handbooks fro D&D base, and FR setting. And the races are a mix as well. They even seperated Male and Female Drows, seeing each Gender gets different abilites per PnP.

The main reason why I bring this up, is I was intrested in makeing the Bladesinger PrC available on Arborea. From what I can tell it involves new Scripts, and new haks.

I was wonder a few things:
1. What do people think about the addtion of new PrCs?

2. How hard would it be to code into the existing haks for CoPaP?

3. Would we even want to included any new PrCs?

4. Would players even want to play the new PrCs?

If it is doable, I will approch the other World Leaders and Ambassadors with a purposal to include any new PrC.

Thanks
-Tristan
slave.of.emotions
Groundling

Re: Another Idea: Adding new PrCs to CoPaP

Post by slave.of.emotions »

Tristan_Durst wrote: 4. Would players even want to play the new PrCs?
-Tristan
Always :)
but how many people do actualy have PRCs other then shadowdancer or shifter,.. i think the addition of new PRCs would not be a big win for the mass of palyers but only certain individuals that would like to play this or that, with means that many PRCs would have to be addet so that many players have actualy something of it :/
marcush
World Leader: Greyhawk West

Post by marcush »

I actually was playing with the PrC over the weekend trying to decide if we wanted to include it's content in our world. After looking at it, ALOT of the content seems to be geared for worlds which a much higher powerlevel than COPAP.

I am sure you can limit which races would be available and such but overall I felt the content was just meant for more "powergaming" servers.

but on the good side it did seem to have a good amount of content...

Someone
Greyhawk West - World Leader
teleri
World Leader: The Outlands

Post by teleri »

Remember even though a PrC is avalible it is not accessable unless you have a DM open it for a player. This is one way to limit the number of Powerful PrC charcters.

Additionally anyone who has ECL levels will be much less likely to be taking a PrC as one class is taken by "Outsider, Humanoid, Monsterous, Creature, etc..."

I have been tinkering with the ECL classes and think I might have worked out a way to allow for them to advance (:
Cheers,
teleri

Building the Outlands one GateTown at a Time
[url=http://www.greatring.net][color=blue][u][b]The Outlands[/color][/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html][color=blue][u][b]The Look of PlaneScape[/color][/u][/b][/url]
Tristan_Durst
World Leader: Arborea

Post by Tristan_Durst »

teleri wrote:I have been tinkering with the ECL classes and think I might have worked out a way to allow for them to advance (:
Hmmm... Now that sounds intresting. And specs on this Teleri? Would be intresting to see PCs of Planar races increase there base ecl race.

As stated earlier I was hoping to make the Bladesinger available on Arborea, once we are up and running. Reason: Several of the descriptions of elven guards for Arvandor, and Proxies were either Belnorns or Bladesingers. I can see it as a 3 class combo to take, Fighter/Mage/Bladesinger and it is only open to Elves. Drow are not included with this either.

Of course like all PrCs must have DM love, and show training for it RP wise. In the 2nd ed Elves handbook, bladesong took 100 Yrs to learn. Technically, Weapon Master was a Drow Fighter class kit only as much as Bladesinger was a Surface Elf only kit. Then 3.0 and NWN messed things up. :wink:

-Tristan
dougnoel
Groundling

Post by dougnoel »

teleri wrote:I have been tinkering with the ECL classes and think I might have worked out a way to allow for them to advance (:
Cool. I wanted to implement monster classes like in Savage Species. I thought it'd be cool.
Nob
Spelljammer

Post by Nob »

Have we figured out how the PRC implementation will clash with our custom races system?

Specifically the PRC PrCs use creature hides for certain features, do they not?

or has that changed with the recent patches?
slave.of.emotions
Groundling

Post by slave.of.emotions »

teleri wrote:Remember even though a PrC is avalible it is not accessable unless you have a DM open it for a player. This is one way to limit the number of Powerful PrC charcters.

Additionally anyone who has ECL levels will be much less likely to be taking a PrC as one class is taken by "Outsider, Humanoid, Monsterous, Creature, etc..."

I have been tinkering with the ECL classes and think I might have worked out a way to allow for them to advance (:
I can not say that i am in love with this idea... outsiders gain a base atack bonus of a fighter, saves of a monk and i think it would be after all D8 hitpoints. Thats why already now outsider levels are not much of a issue right now for fighter type characters and the boost of saves is very useful on high levels.
I think this would be interesting but it made me think as first of this part about outsiders. :/
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

1) I think it would be a cool idea to explore creature level advancement. The classes must be tested and balanced, of course.

In fact, every new class should be put on a test trainer mod first and have people jump in and beat the thing to death. We did this with psions for a long time before adding them. If you are of the mind that they are unbalanced, you should see the stuff we caught/nerfed/fixed. It really helps.

2) As for PRC, there are several threads here about this already. Do a search and read up on them, because they will tell you the pro's and con's.

@Nob: I don't think the conflicts between CoPaP systems and PRC systems have been worked out, no. It would require extensive retooling of PRC. (If we ever even considered it.)

@Tristan: I don't see a problem with adding one or two PrC's, but remember that a hak change would be necessary for that, CoPaP-wide. That's also not a big deal if we time it right. The next hak should come out sometime after patch 1.66. IF you were able to get something coded and tested on a trainer mod before that, Themi could add it in. Again, remember that it would need to be balanced with what we've already got, to a point. (See other threads on class balance on the Avlis boards. The balance does not have to be perfect, but it can't be ridiculous.)

All this is a lotta work that Avlis team will of course not do, but if you have the labor and will to do it, hey, cool. Otherwise, it's not something that you'll see from us.

Also, it is probably not a good idea to go crazy and add tons of new PrC's, even though they already exist in the PRC. For one thing, many of those classes are broken and ridiculous, like you guys noted. For another thing, I'd rather see a server get LINKED first, before wasting time on coding stuff that we may never see if they don't link.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."