An odd request from a persistant world...

Anyone interested in linking their PW to CoPaP can inquire here with their concerns.
Elanthil01
Noobie

An odd request from a persistant world...

Post by Elanthil01 »

Kind of an odd request here, and I don't want to step on any toes..

however..

I am a DM and developer from the persistant world Athas Reborn (persistant world story, website is www.athasreborn.com/forum)

We are a heavily modified custom content server using the Darksun campaign setting.

I'm not sure we would 'qualify' for regular CoPap membership, as we are an open server and it would go against our policies to become a passworded server..

However, we have been trying a number of 'character creation' schemes lately with little sucess and a lot of headaches..

During this time, the CoPap autobic system came under discussion, but none of our folks know much about it.

So..I was wondering if I could get some further information on how that character creation system works, and ask if we could have permission to use it, if we deem that it would be compatible with our custom content?

While I agree with the CoPap philosophy, and applaud your efforts to create a controlled environment for roleplay, it would just be, as I said, infeasible for our particular server.

We have two custom 'base' classes, and four custom races at the moment, and without some kind of character creator/modifier IN GAME, it becomes a matter of the DM's creating the characters themselves and uploading them to the server operator..and since most of our DM's are also on the development staff..this becomes a nightmare.

We had planned on using the convocc from the PRC, but it has problems with fighters and humans, and the old version is unsupported by the PRC staff...*AND* since we are NOT..and never WILL BE a PRC server, we cannot use the newest version.

The PRC team (primogenitor himself in fact) had been planning to dev an updated version just for us..but then he got busy with his own teams work, and the plan fell through.

So you see we are between a rock and a hard place here and are hoping that perhaps you can help us find a solution.

:D

Thank you for your kind consideration, and I look forward to reading your replies..positive OR negative.
terryrayc
World Leader: Arkaz

Post by terryrayc »

Depends on the world I think. Some of us are using red golems system which I think can be downloaded from nwvault. Except I think we modified it to use the mysql db rather then the log file. It's an easy system to use. However I think Orl has the say on if you can use it or not. So you'll have to wait for him to reply. The system watches the DB for a record to be made and then updates the players bic using 2da files.
Visit the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com/wiki]Wiki[/url]
Or the Arkaz [url=http://www.arkaz.com]Website[/url]
Final Shinryuu
World Leader: The Grey Wastes

Post by Final Shinryuu »

Terry's right. Autobic is pretty nifty, and easy to work with once you get it figured out.
I can't see anyone really having a problem with your borrowing it, as long as you don't use any CoPaP-specific custom races, and make your own for it instead. Which, being an established persistant world with a background and story, I imagine you'd do.
There are few people still around with the know-how to make totally new races for Autobic use, though. It's one of those things on my list that I plan on figuring out.
If you don't hear from Orleron, you could try asking the creator himself, Red Golem.
I believe he may still use the following e-mail:
redgolm@yahoo.com

I spotted him last three months ago, so he does peek around on occaision.
Don't count on it, though.
Regardless, good luck!
Elanthil01
Noobie

Post by Elanthil01 »

Thanks, one of the developers for our server is Hellfire, and he has all the CoPaP guys on IM, so if needed I can get him to contact some of them directly, something I didn't know till I posted in OUR forums that I was looking into the autobic system.

:D
Orleron
Multiverse Scholar

Post by Orleron »

The autobic system isn't really controlled by anybody. It's up for free download on NWVault. Even the mysql modification is part of the public release now. We've made some small modifications to it for our own internal uses, but nothing too big. The version that's out there is completely usable for 99.99% of all PW's.
Avlis: http://www.avlis.org

"My name is Orleron...a dungeonmaster...two years ago I got shot through a game client...I'm in a distant part of the internet aboard these servers of escaped mental patients...my players. I've made enemies, stupid, and annoying...now all I want to do is make CoPaP a reality, to warn Earth...Look inward(to your monitor) and share the newbies I've seen..."
Elanthil01
Noobie

Post by Elanthil01 »

is it capable of defining a .bic complete with race, class, stats, body model, head model, skills, spheres, deity if the end user sets it up that way?

I was considering using a conversation to let them design the base character, output that to the log, then boot them so the autobic can take their choices and delete the old .bic then craft the new .bic or something along those lines.

see if the new .bic is based off the original character Im worried about things like thri kreen getting human base stats with kreen stat addons and human extra feats.